ADVERTISEMENT

Cub Fans Think They've Suffered...

Try being a Gamecock fan and go through the history this program has endured.

I have now lived outside of the South for decades. Whenever I have to explain our football program to someone, I always describes us as the Chicago Cubs of college football. Of course, the difference is that they actually have two championships to our none.

I remember sitting in WB during the 1-21 streak after a beatdown by UGA. We had a bunch of UGA fans chanting "its great to be a Georgia Bulldog!" and I stopped walking down the steps of the upper deck and told them how lucky they were. " Ya'll have no idea how hard it is to be a Gamecock fan! It's the hardest job I've ever had!"

Still amazing that the fan support is so strong with so little to show for it. It's easy to be a fan of the Yankees, Bama or the Lakers.

Don't you believe that when it does happen and Carolina reaches the promised land, it will be all the more sweeter, sort of like it is for the Cubs fans now?

I'm glad that is the way you worded it. It's not just losing games. How about having our HC in football die in the off season? How about Lattimore tearing both ACLs in separate seasons? Brad Scott? Spurrier's 2 or 3 years comment and the resulting recruiting fallout?

Still amazing that the fan support is so strong with so little to show for it. It's easy to be a fan of the Yankees, Bama or the Lakers.

Don't you believe that when it does happen and Carolina reaches the promised land, it will be all the more sweeter, sort of like it is for the Cubs fans now?
If the CWS back to back wins is a taste of what would happen for football... I would probably die from excitement.

Get this, I grew up in Charleston and my dad brought me up as a Cleveland Indians fan because he lived there when he was about five years old for several years. I have never even been to Cleveland, though it seems I saw it once from an airplane window while passing over. Gamecock fan all my life as well. I must have a very resilient liver.

Meh. Used to feel that way but lots to cheer about over the past few years. Some thrilling baseball and Gamecock football in the top 10. High 5. Before I didn't know if it could be done.

Now I know it can!

We do have 2 in baseball.

Yup, I am aware of that... and we have one in equestrian (or is it two?) and one in indoor track and field I believe... which is why I did say specifically college football. At least I have our Bama win to watch whenever I am feeling blue about our program.

As far as baseball goes, I actually did not leap up and holler when Whit hit that walk off single to win our first championship. Honestly, I was actually in disbelief for a moment or two...

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Try being a fan of both. Born in Chicago. Raised in SC.
But at least you had the Bulls, Blackhawks and the Bears (assuming you pulled for the other Chicago teams). I pull for all teams Cleveland along with the Gamecocks. Yes, we won the NBA championship but before that it was nothing but heartbreak in all three major sports.

Reactions: HI Cock
If the CWS back to back wins is a taste of what would happen for football... I would probably die from excitement.
And yes, you probably would have if they would have won that last game to make it three in a row! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT