ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo from a Gamecock's perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
Dabo was a used car salesman coming back into coaching and Tommy Bowden brought him in not knowing he was bring in him future replacement at Clemson...

Dabo is was close to losing his bid as a head coach until he beat Carolina and that sealed the deal...

The next 5 years was Clemson's worst nightmare, losing every way they can to Carolina. Clemsoning everyone year under Dabo as he fired coordinators after coordinators until he got the right mix this year...

I don't know if Dabo and Clemson will win tonight or the National Championship, but he proved several things...

Dabo acts like a kid by using social media to keep constant contact with the players...

Hire expensive coordinators who know more than Dabo...

And if Dabo can coach football, then I can be the next CEO for playboy....

The CEO of playboy... I can't imagine there being a necessary skill set for this position, beyond the obvious need... Ability to assess.

Dabo was a used car salesman coming back into coaching and Tommy Bowden brought him in not knowing he was bring in him future replacement at Clemson...

Dabo is was close to losing his bid as a head coach until he beat Carolina and that sealed the deal...

The next 5 years was Clemson's worst nightmare, losing every way they can to Carolina. Clemsoning everyone year under Dabo as he fired coordinators after coordinators until he got the right mix this year...

I don't know if Dabo and Clemson will win tonight or the National Championship, but he proved several things...

Dabo acts like a kid by using social media to keep constant contact with the players...

Only USC fans feel this way about Dabo. It's jealousy at its best. Football programs around the country are trying to model their programs like Dabo has built at Clemson. Dabo has won 4 or 5 coach of the year awards. There is a lot more to coaching than X's and O's. He is great at managing people and motivating young kids.

Only USC fans feel this way about Dabo. It's jealousy at its best. Football programs around the country are trying to model their programs like Dabo has built at Clemson. Dabo has won 4 or 5 coach of the year awards. There is a lot more to coaching than X's and O's. He is great at managing people and motivating young kids.

Model their programs? Link? Only clemsux fans feel this way. Hilarious.

I think you have that backwards. Only Clemson fans feel differently about Dabo. Until this season, Clemson had 2 of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country. I wonder why? To make up for Datboy's lack of actual coaching ability. Listen to a few National sports radio shows every now and then and you'll see that most of the country views Datboy as a guy with a super weird name, dances around at every opportunity, is ridiculously overly optimistic, a constant scripted salesman, and an overall goofy guy that says, and does, goofy things. Ever wonder why Chad Morris got so much credit for Clemson's past success, and Venebles is getting so much credit for Clemson's current success? Based on what I hear on Sirius every day, I'd say the majority of the country attributes Clemson's success to Watson and Venebles, and no one mentions Dabo (unless they're laughing at his dancing or making fun of something goofy he said). "If we played 10 times..."

This says it all: "He is great at managing people and motivating young kids".

I think you have that backwards. Only Clemson fans feel differently about Dabo. Until this season, Clemson had 2 of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country. I wonder why? To make up for Datboy's lack of actual coaching ability. Listen to a few National sports radio shows every now and then and you'll see that most of the country views Datboy as a guy with a super weird name, dances around at every opportunity, is ridiculously overly optimistic, a constant scripted salesman, and an overall goofy guy that says, and does, goofy things. Ever wonder why Chad Morris got so much credit for Clemson's past success, and Venebles is getting so much credit for Clemson's current success? Based on what I hear on Sirius every day, I'd say the majority of the country attributes Clemson's success to Watson and Venebles, and no one mentions Dabo (unless they're laughing at his dancing or making fun of something goofy he said). "If we played 10 times..."

That doesn't explain the multiple coach of the year awards. If no one in the country thought Dabo could coach then I highly doubt those same people would be voting him coach of the year.

There are different ways to structure a team with coaches. USC just lost one of the best game day coaching minds in the history of the game. He was very successful with what he did for many years but he was not as successful with building the recruiting relationships. Dabo has gone in a different direction and is very good at building those relationships and motivating people. He leaves more of the X's and O's to his assistants. The two methods may be different, but you can't argue that both have been very successful.

Heck, the first thing you saw Shawn Elliott do when he took over as interim head coach was show extreme enthusiasm and do his best to motivate his kids. He essentially took a page out of Dabo's book and it proved to work. USC looked much better as the season went on under Elliott than it did with SOS at the helm.

That doesn't explain the multiple coach of the year awards. If no one in the country thought Dabo could coach then I highly doubt those same people would be voting him coach of the year.

There are different ways to structure a team with coaches. USC just lost one of the best game day coaching minds in the history of the game. He was very successful with what he did for many years but he was not as successful with building the recruiting relationships. Dabo has gone in a different direction and is very good at building those relationships and motivating people. He leaves more of the X's and O's to his assistants. The two methods may be different, but you can't argue that both have been very successful.

Heck, the first thing you saw Shawn Elliott do when he took over as interim head coach was show extreme enthusiasm and do his best to motivate his kids. He essentially took a page out of Dabo's book and it proved to work. USC looked much better as the season went on under Elliott than it did with SOS at the helm.
Don't get carried away. Elliott was taking nothing from dumbo's "book". That's Elliott's personality & he's been coaching like that for years. He wasn't trying to be like dumbo.

Don't get carried away. Elliott was taking nothing from dumbo's "book". That's Elliott's personality & he's been coaching like that for years. He wasn't trying to be like dumbo.

I wasn't implying that the only reason Elliott did what he did was because Dabo did it. I was stating that Elliott's coaching style was much more similar to Dabo's style than Spurrier's. I just didn't see the criticism of that style on this board when Elliott was using it.

You Clemson guys amaze me.... You think Datboy was the first ever coach to jump up and down on the sidelines and show emotion? Anytime a school hires a younger coach, then you all say well they hired a young coach so he can do exactly what Dabo has done. Anytime a school hires an emotionally charged rah rah guy, then you all say well they hired a rah rah guy so he can do exactly what Dabo has done. Anytime a school hires a great recruiter, then you all say well they hired a great recruiter so he can do exactly what Dabo has done. You all act as if Dabo invented the CEO rah rah type coach position. I will give credit to Dabo for one thing, he was smart enough to know that he was in over his head and he needed help. After a couple of mediocre seasons he could feel the heat under his seat, so he scapegoated several assistants, then went out and threw the bank at their replacements. There weren't many Clemson fans paraising Dabo's CEO rah rah coaching style after his first several seasons. That didn't begin until he threw the bank at quality Coordinators.

Reactions: UpstateGamecock2
I wasn't implying that the only reason Elliott did what he did was because Dabo did it. I was stating that Elliott's coaching style was much more similar to Dabo's style than Spurrier's. I just didn't see the criticism of that style on this board when Elliott was using it.
One reason is because Elliott isn't fake and two-faced.

The head man will get the credit for the wins and the blame for losses. Dabo was smart enough to surround himself with good recruiters and coordinators. This allows for him to do what he does best cheer. The media loves him because he gives them sound bites plus they keep the cameras on him so they can catch that next backflip or just fill in the blank.
As far as the wins goes, yeah we have heard "they won all their games" and "they played the schedule" and all that is true but a closer look tells the story. First look at the ACC, today 12/31 the conference has already played 8 bowl games (3-5) with one of the so called top ten's (NC) being curb stomped and giving up a bowl rushing record (another one Fla. State is behind as I type this). If Clemson loses today the ACC will be the ONLY power five conference that will not play a bowl game after 12/31(awesome). Second, IMHO, teams need to be forced to play tougher OCS. They should not get rewarded by playing 3 smaller schools and then playing 6-7 weak conference foes ending up in the top ten (NC and Fla. State). Does anyone here think 4 teams in the top ten from the ACC (I counted ND because they play 5 ACC games and are full members in all other sports) makes them the best power five conference? I don't.
Playing in the ACC, having a weak OCS, catching your rival in a 3-9 position, and having a great QB will put you were Clemson is but IMHO it don't make you great. Spurs Up

Dabo doesn't manage people, he manipulates them, tells them what they want to hear and is good at spending CU's money. He's good at creating a false image of a university set in the mountains and spins it as a great place to attend and play football, only finishing up what Bowden started who learned from his father.
Most coaches coach because they know the sport and are good at developing players, developing a system that works and good at executing it. Da-Blo got into coaching because he wasn't very good at anything else. Now he's riding a wave and reaping the benefits off the backs of the asst coaches.
It won't last forever.

You know, I always thought he was a bit of a doofus, and I also never thought he was a good x and os coach, but honestly I never really had an issue with him until the rant.

That night, the night he attacked my university out of embarassment for getting curb stomped by us for three years was unacceptable. I'd be content if he never won another game he coaches.

Dabo was not a used car salesman, he was a real estate agent.

If he is so great, please explain why Dumbo's name has yet to come up in a coaching search?? The only mention I've ever seen of his name is on these forums.

Reactions: dariusrucker1
You Clemson guys amaze me.... You think Datboy was the first ever coach to jump up and down on the sidelines and show emotion? Anytime a school hires a younger coach, then you all say well they hired a young coach so he can do exactly what Dabo has done. Anytime a school hires an emotionally charged rah rah guy, then you all say well they hired a rah rah guy so he can do exactly what Dabo has done. Anytime a school hires a great recruiter, then you all say well they hired a great recruiter so he can do exactly what Dabo has done. You all act as if Dabo invented the CEO rah rah type coach position. I will give credit to Dabo for one thing, he was smart enough to know that he was in over his head and he needed help. After a couple of mediocre seasons he could feel the heat under his seat, so he scapegoated several assistants, then went out and threw the bank at their replacements. There weren't many Clemson fans paraising Dabo's CEO rah rah coaching style after his first several seasons. That didn't begin until he threw the bank at quality Coordinators.
If he is so great, please explain why Dumbo's name has yet to come up in a coaching search?? The only mention I've ever seen of his name is on these forums.
I haven't heard Nick Sabans name either. If college teams thought that Dabo would leave Clemson then he would be the hottest name out there. Why would he leave Clemson at this point? You don't think that VT or Miami or Georgia wouldn't have wanted or had a lot of interest in Dabo.

Last edited:

Name one program that has mentioned Dabo in their coaching search. LSU will willing to dole out a fortune to get Jimbo....not Dabo. Teams want coaches who actually know how to coach football.

If you don't think that other coaches aren't

I haven't heard Nick Sabans name either. If college teams thought that Dabo would leave Clemson then he would be the hottest name out there. Why would he leave Clemson at this point? You don't think that VT or Miami or Georgia wouldn't have wanted or had a lot of interest in Dabo.
Nope. Not at all. Heck, LSU was willing to spend a fortune to get Jimbo....absolutely no mention of Dabo.

If you don't think that other coaches aren't

Hi there mr. Tater,
Really quick, teams that Nick Saban has been talked about leaving Alabama for by the media. Texas, so cal, buffalo bills, St. Louis rams, the LA team (whoever it ends up being) Texas AGAIN...... Then there's dablo... Who no one seems to care about.
But watch out y'all! When Nicky does move on bama is going straight after dabs! Least that's what tillmanet says.

Reactions: BigTomE
Whatcha gonna do when Venables leaves next year for KSU and takes Elliott with him as his OC. Dabo gonna dabble and make Hobby the DC and Scott the OC. Hobby has a poor track record as a DC.
Not a problem. He will hire another great assistant. Who wouldn't want to coach that defense next year. The team will be better. Signing a top 10 class again this year. 4 and 5 star players all over the place.

This thread stinks pretty bad with Jealousy. I wish the Gamecocks were in the same position as the Taters are right now.

Reactions: JECTiger
You are a funny guy. Dabo is never mentioned because no one wants him. Saban's name has come up this year for both the Indy Colts and Univ. of Texas jobs. Saban is sitting at the top of the college football world at an iconic university with more tradition than Clemson will have even if they win the next 20 MNC's. There is no comparison. You Taters are the only one's who belong to Datbo's cult. Don't kid yourself. No one believes the ACC is a real football conference, therefore winning in the ACC does not translate into winning at a real football powerhouse. You dream on Tater, but your dreams will come crashing down later this afternoon. Two of your great victories - - UNC and Fla. State -- have been exposed for the frauds they are and Clemson and ND will be next.

Dabo.
It's a silly name.
He dances around like a clown.
My Clemson friends don't dispute that he's a goofball. I'm not even sure if they think he's a good coach. I've asked and mainly get a shoulder shrug, "he's winning" response. Either way, I'm fairly sure none of them think he's Saban.
But, ugly wins be damned, Clemson is 13-0 and in the playoffs.
I, for one don't think they're the best team in the country. I just don't see NC State hanging 40+ on the best team In the country. But we'll see.
As far as surrounding himself with a good staff and good recruiters, of course. That's what every coach is trying to do.
Kinda reminds me of Richt, not in personality obviously, just in the situation: scraping by w/ugly wins, meanwhile, nobody is ever really sold on UGA.
I don't know what will happen tonight, but, I'm pretty sure Dabo will keep winning in the ACC. He will have some serious recruiting competition now that Muschamp is here, though.
But, if Dabo doesn't win the big one, eventually, they'll run him out of town.
That's the way it goes these days.
Tenure is a thing of the past.
I'll have to eat a crow sammie if he actually wins the big one, but, that probably won't happen. Respect of it does, though...
Btw, any Tiger fans trolling around care to make a wager?

This is something that only taters are saying..... it makes zero since. Big time programs hire coaches that are at their peak of success. They swoop in and hire away coaches that are at the height of their careers. They strike while the iron is hot. If there were another program out there that had interest in Datboy, then now would be the time to go after him. It is beyond extremely naïve to think a big time school wouldn't make an offer because they think someone may not want to leave.

And please don't reply with some ridiculous amount as Datboy's buyout. You taters like to say it's 16-18 million, but obviously most of you are only repeating what you've heard, and haven't actually read anything about the his contract. Datboy's buyout if he's let go at Clemson is in the 16-18 million range. But if he leaves for another job, then the buyout is 5 million after this season, then goes down every year after that. Big time programs would strike a check for 5 million in a blink of an eye, that is if they were interested. Hell, LSU was ready to chase Miles out of town for 3 times that buyout amount.

As far as Saban goes, not many other programs can afford to pay a HC what Alabama pays. And are you comparing Datboy to Saban? Apples to oranges, don't ya think? Saban could be playing for his 4th NC in 7 years.

This thread stinks pretty bad with Jealousy. I wish the Gamecocks were in the same position as the Taters are right now.
I smell a Tater, and if you are not you should think about joining them. No self-respecting Gamecock would ever say what you did. I know damn well I am not jealous. Clemson played no one this year and the bowls are backing that up. We would have had 9 wins with their schedule and we were horrible.

Reactions: rogue cock
I smell a Tater, and if you are not you should think about joining them. No self-respecting Gamecock would ever say what you did. I know damn well I am not jealous. Clemson played no one this year and the bowls are backing that up. We would have had 9 wins with their schedule and we were horrible.
You don't even believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT