ADVERTISEMENT

Dale Earnhardt Junior is retiring

No more Pettys. No more Earnhardts. No more Allisons. The families that built NASCAR are gone.

I grew up as die hard as they come, but I've literally only watched one race this season, & that was Daytona. They just aren't any good any more.

Could not agree more. For me, I think this just makes me think about the times spent with family (some still with us, most not) watching in the 80's and 90's.

nailed it...
Correct! It has been Government Motors for a long, long time with Mr. Hendricks running WWFNASCAR. By the way, who monitors WWFNASCAR?? Used to be any team could protest motors HP etc but now, only WWFNASCAR knows the HP! Imagine that! Kinda reminds one of Washington DC.

I grew up as die hard as they come, but I've literally only watched one race this season, & that was Daytona. They just aren't any good any more.
im with you rod....wish i could retire and im older than dale jr....just aint fair

Last edited:
When NASCAR was fun to follow, the fans divided themselves into Ford, GM, Chrysler and sometimes Hudson camps that gave them an identity. The fighting over who had the advantage of the current rules offered lots of fodder for debate which was usually heated debate. Teams had much more opportunity to exploit differences to their advantage rather than now where every tiny detail of the car is defined to be identical. It was perhaps a crazy system, but it was fun rather than the current system where it is all about which team can spend the most money to refine the minute details that NASCAR still allows minute variations on.

Comparing a race on the current Daytona speedway to the old beach course is an extreme example of another big difference. Not much space for a huge crowd of paying spectators on the beach but watching a driver negotiate that beast at high speed was something. Watching the freight train circle the current track is just boring unless you like massive and repeated wrecks at the finish that make the rest of the race meaningless is another thing altogether.

Almost got carried away and forgot to wish a fine driver and a fine person a fond farewell.

Last edited:
NASCAR wanted to shed it's redneck image. Congrats they did. One problem in doing that they alienated thier fan base. The good ole rednecks bought the tickets, merchandise etc...

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT