ADVERTISEMENT

Da'Qon Stewart, a 6-foot-2, 192-pound wide receiver

This is why I love this board.

If the recruit has a low rating and not a lot of offers and we offer (and God forbid, he commits) we are reaching.

If an "out of nowhere" recruit camps with us but we don't offer and he ends up signing at Tennessee or NC State and turns into a baller, we moan about how incompetent our coaches are for getting in on them too late.

Will only offers guys who camp with us which means that the coaches have seen him and given him a commitable offer. While I am on the fence about whether they can turn that into a winner by getting the right guys and then coaching them to play AND putting a game plan together that allows them to win on Saturdays, I don't have concerns about their process of recruiting.

Will only offers guys who camp with us.

This may be part of the problem. Not every ball player “camps with us.” The other problem is we may be offering guys because they “camp with us” and not because they are SEC caliber.

Do not get me wrong, the recruiting is better than the tail end of the Spurrier years but no where near the level of the middle of the Spurrier years. That was some of the best recruiting in school history.

Anytime you place a recruiting restriction the only person you are restricting is yourself and your program.

There may be 20 justifiable reasons why a kid wouldn’t camp with us, but would still be talented enough and willing to play with us.

So there are people on here who actually think that BMac and Bentley would take a commitment this early from a guy who is 2 star talent when we have 7 4star WRs on our current roster? So who do you think is "off" on this guy right now? The geeks that run these sites or coaches of a team that passed for over 500 yards against the national champion?

BTW, there are more 4 star WR flops than any other position I have seen while following recruiting for the last 25 years. Just go look at our last 10 or more recruiting classes and see if you remember half of the 4 star WR names that came and disappeared. clem has there share as well...their best WR is an unrated walk-on.

Show some intelligence people....you are embarrassing yourselves.
I'm thinking it's the coaches of a team that got beat 28-0 by a low level acc team

This is why I love this board.

If the recruit has a low rating and not a lot of offers and we offer (and God forbid, he commits) we are reaching.

If an "out of nowhere" recruit camps with us but we don't offer and he ends up signing at Tennessee or NC State and turns into a baller, we moan about how incompetent our coaches are for getting in on them too late.

Will only offers guys who camp with us which means that the coaches have seen him and given him a commitable offer. While I am on the fence about whether they can turn that into a winner by getting the right guys and then coaching them to play AND putting a game plan together that allows them to win on Saturdays, I don't have concerns about their process of recruiting.
Why shouldn't fans complain in that scenario?

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
with some of our fan base I'm surprised we even get 2 stars.. Welcome Da'Qon!
That is what I am saying. I know I have been a little hot headed since the UVA debacle, but when a kid commits to our tribe, then we welcome him. I know there is going to be some "objective" star discussion from many on this board, but the focus needs to be on the welcome mat.

HE WILL NOT END UP A 2 STAR BY THE TIME 2020 DECEMBER IS HERE. SOME OF YALL REALLY SHOULD LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND THINK IS THIS HOW PATHETIC MY LIFE IS RIGHT NOW. THAT IM COMPLAINING ABOUT SOME 16 YEAR OLD WHO DOESNT HAVE ENOUGH STARS BY HIS NAME TO SATISFY ME ?
Nope. I’m thinking how pathetic it was to lose to UVA and not even score a single point. And before you say it, no I’m not going to drop it. You want positivity and sunshine from everyone? Win. That’s what will bring it. 28-0 to Virginia gets you an entire off-season of moaning and groaning though and it should. Losing sucks, losing to crap teams sucks worse.

Nope. I’m thinking how pathetic it was to lose to UVA and not even score a single point. And before you say it, no I’m not going to drop it. You want positivity and sunshine from everyone? Win. That’s what will bring it. 28-0 to Virginia gets you an entire off-season of moaning and groaning though and it should. Losing sucks, losing to crap teams sucks worse.
While why dont you post that on 1 of the other 50 thread instead of this kids thread.

He’s 6’2” and runs a 4.5 at 16 or 17 years old. How many kids can do that? Not many. That’s what they see in him. It’s not that difficult to ascertain what skills he will bring. I like the commitment. He will likely end up a 3 or 4 *.

Reactions: PC31
Famous last words about the Spurrier staff as we sank from 3 consecutive 11 win seasons to 3 wins.
Not exactly....posters were complaining heavily about how many weren't qualifying and had to go to JUCO or prep school. Then we would resign them the following year or two....which would inflate two classes of rankings, especially if they didn't qualify after JUCO or prep.

Wad up your panties and throw them in the corner when you finish knashing your teeth and ripping your garments. Look the kid is a junior. He has another year to show what he can do. If he's as bad as some suspect, the offer can be withdrawn. It could be the coaches see something that others haven't seen. What was Deebo rated? 2 star. Not sure but he didn't blow the doors off their hinges as a recruit.They must have seen something in him they saw that damn sure turned out ok.
Right you are recruiting has much to do about the future and potential.

This may be part of the problem. Not every ball player “camps with us.” The other problem is we may be offering guys because they “camp with us” and not because they are SEC caliber.

Do not get me wrong, the recruiting is better than the tail end of the Spurrier years but no where near the level of the middle of the Spurrier years. That was some of the best recruiting in school history.

Anytime you place a recruiting restriction the only person you are restricting is yourself and your program.

There may be 20 justifiable reasons why a kid wouldn’t camp with us, but would still be talented enough and willing to play with us.
How about not every player is invited to camp with us. These coaches know a lot about the campers before they ever arrive, they talk to their coaches, watch film, talk to the player and look at his numbers and how he could help us down the road. They're recruiting the player who could fit into the program and character matters too.

How about not every player is invited to camp with us. These coaches know a lot about the campers before they ever arrive, they talk to their coaches, watch film, talk to the player and look at his numbers and how he could help us down the road. They're recruiting the player who could fit into the program and character matters too.

I know every player isn’t invited to camp, in fact most are not. My argument is how about recruit some of them.

Character matters but I’ve seen our own guys do some crappy things so if we’re going to beat that drum let’s see less ball signings against Kentucky and knee dives on the QB kneel vs Florida.

It can’t be that hard to get a kid to a camp. If he’s serious about playing for us he would camp with us.

You also have different approaches too. Clemson had Cam Smith on campus and told him we will offer you but you have to commit now, he said no so that’s why he doesn’t have an official offer from them. So who knows what offers these kids actually have.

It can’t be that hard to get a kid to a camp. If he’s serious about playing for us he would camp with us.

You also have different approaches too. Clemson had Cam Smith on campus and told him we will offer you but you have to commit now, he said no so that’s why he doesn’t have an official offer from them. So who knows what offers these kids actually have.

Depends on:
1. Where the kid is. Of course we typically recruit 90 percent of our kids from S.C. GA Fla & NC.

2. How many other offers he has. Kids that are 4 & 5 star talent could literally go to camp anywhere in this country.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

That's just it. With many of the top prospects, many of them will have an offer list a mile long. They might not be serious about playing for us -- especially with the state of our program compared to our rivals.

We don't have the luxury of acting high and mighty with these athletes. It's our coaches' jobs to convince them they need to play here. And sometimes that might involve waving that arbitrary rule about forcing top athletes to camp here before offering.

I know every player isn’t invited to camp, in fact most are not. My argument is how about recruit some of them.

Character matters but I’ve seen our own guys do some crappy things so if we’re going to beat that drum let’s see less ball signings against Kentucky and knee dives on the QB kneel vs Florida.
Didn't say we didn't recruit them some players you don't need to see at camp.

Last edited:
That's just it. With many of the top prospects, many of them will have an offer list a mile long. They might not be serious about playing for us -- especially with the state of our program compared to our rivals.

We don't have the luxury of acting high and mighty with these athletes. It's our coaches' jobs to convince them they need to play here. And sometimes that might involve waving that arbitrary rule about forcing top athletes to camp here before offering.
We do offer players that don't camp here. We offered Hilinski long before he visited us....IIRC we were his second offer, Boston College was the first. Doesn't mean that the coaches don't go out and look at them before they offer....Werner went to Cali to look at Hilinski before making the offer. They do their due diligence on players.

Reactions: roosterbell
We do offer players that don't camp here. We offered Hilinski long before he visited us....IIRC we were his second offer, Boston College was the first. Doesn't mean that the coaches don't go out and look at them before they offer....Werner went to Cali to look at Hilinski before making the offer. They do their due diligence on players.
Then why all this talk about only offering players that camp with us?

the current date is January 2019. This is a 2020 player. We're not rushing to fill opposition for the 2019 recruiting class. The coaches must have seen something that really like. This is not the leftovers from the bottom of the barrel. This is a 2020 player

Sounds about right. Great post

Questions for thought provoking individuals (not most of the posters on this board):
  1. What exactly is a 5* talent?
  2. Who makes this decision as to how many *s a kid gets?
  3. Why is a kid a 2* one day and changed to a 3* the next? Did he suddenly obtain some mad skills overnight? Or did he just get a really good night sleep? Or, maybe he stayed in a Holiday Inn Express?
  4. Why are there exactly only 50 5* guys each year? Seems like magic that it happens to turn out that way every year. You would think there would be more in some years than in other years, wouldn't you?
  5. What's the talent difference between a player who is ranked #49 and is a 5* recruit, and a player who is ranked #51 and is a 4* recruit?
  6. Are the internet sites in business to be expert evaluators of talent, or to make money off of morons who they can convince they are experts.
  7. Are the internet geeks making these determinations experts at talent evaluation, and if so, why do they work for a web site and not in player personnel in the NFL or Power 5 NCAA program?
  8. Why is it that the number of *s only change after recruits start getting recruited by major programs, and why is it never the other way around? Why do major programs not wait to make an offer until after the recruiting sites change the number of *s?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT