ADVERTISEMENT

Deebo at the combine!

Yeah - because Debo is the reason we lost by 4TDs on the bowl game. Nice analysis, bro...

We'll never know. And to the other poster, I don't start threads about Deebo, but when they are posted, I will point out the truth about him. He quit on us. He made his bed and now.... it is what it is.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Deebo was never the fastest guy on the field, he has game speed, the ability to see things in the open field that lets him get through traffic and score. He is a fighter and will somehow get open and make the catch. He makes some impossible looking catches happen with athleticism. He will make a good slot receiver in the NFL and will probably make some clutch catches for some team. He might also make a career as a return guy. He will probably be a bargain pick for some team in the third or fourth round.

I don’t know what difference he would have made in that bowl, maybe we would not have been shut out. I think we would have still lost that game simply because we were unprepared to play and did not look motivated to be there. I do not think he would have made any difference in the outcome, I do not blame him for that loss.

Good luck to him in the NFL!

So are you mad at the entire team? Because they all quit against virginia

I never said I was mad. I do find it interesting that we as a fan base seemingly support his decision to quit on his team on the one hand and in the other hand wonder why we've barely been mediocre in our entire history. Spinning quitting into some kind of sunshine position will always be a mystery to me. The line about representing the University well comes to mind.....

"You mean the quitter?" Sounds exactly right based on our history. IMHO, he will never be one of us. Encouraging a kid to quit in order to obtain some personal success when it comes to a team sport is wrong on so many levels. It really can't be argued.

Look, I didn't do this to him. He did it to himself based on very bad advice he was getting. So every time someone posts something about Deebo as if we're supposed to praise him....there will be those to say "You mean the quitter?" Like I said, his decision. Wrong. But his. I hope going forward we don't have anymore kids who get and take this terrible advice.

I never said I was mad. I do find it interesting that we as a fan base seemingly support his decision to quit on his team on the one hand and in the other hand wonder why we've barely been mediocre in our entire history. Spinning quitting into some kind of sunshine position will always be a mystery to me. The line about representing the University well comes to mind.....

"You mean the quitter?" Sounds exactly right based on our history. IMHO, he will never be one of us. Encouraging a kid to quit in order to obtain some personal success when it comes to a team sport is wrong on so many levels. It really can't be argued.

Look, I didn't do this to him. He did it to himself based on very bad advice he was getting. So every time someone posts something about Deebo as if we're supposed to praise him....there will be those to say "You mean the quitter?" Like I said, his decision. Wrong. But his. I hope going forward we don't have anymore kids who get and take this terrible advice.

Is it not possible to hate / disagree with the decision (like me) but understand the decision (I Do) and still pull for Deebo to do well (I Do)?

Is it not possible to hate / disagree with the decision (like me) but understand the decision (I Do) and still pull for Deebo to do well (I Do)?

Not for me. No. When you strip away all the rationalizations all you're left with is the argument for supporting quitting. I can't get there.

He set a poor example for the years to come. No telling how many will sit out next year to get ready for the combine. ... The combine, the combine, the combine, me, me, me. I thought football was a team game.

Well thank god we don’t have a slew of 5 Stars recruits that will “Quit” the next few years . We do have a few that I wish would quit after the Virginia game . Give it a rest . If you want to keep players from “Quiting” then win a division title and play in a playoff game . I bet Deebo or any other player doesn’t quit in a championship game . I guess everyone here will be happy with two and three star guys that you will never need to worry about “Quiting” That might get us by Kentucky one year . Good for him . Go get that $$$ . None of these air chair QB’s on this board willing to stroke a six figure check if he blew his knee out losing to Virginia . I guess not a single person on this board has ever quit a job to pursue a better opportunity.

My comment on Pro day was just a jab at sitting out but...Some of our legal friends on here may well tell us if not playing when able is a breach of contract. The contract being his agreement to play in exchange for an education and board.

I wish the young man nothing but the best but I just don't like the one and done thing and this is kind of the same thing.

Reactions: Athenscock1
He set a poor example for the years to come. No telling how many will sit out next year to get ready for the combine. ... The combine, the combine, the combine, me, me, me. I thought football was a team game.

Seems like you and I are clearly swimming in the wrong pool. To hear others tell it, not only are we supposed to support his quitting, but now we're supposed to praise his every positive move going forward.

Sorry, the world don't work like that. Not me. Not now. Not ever.

Seems like you and I are clearly swimming in the wrong pool. To hear others tell it, not only are we supposed to support his quitting, but now we're supposed to praise his every positive move going forward.

Sorry, the world don't work like that. Not me. Not now. Not ever.

Lol, Deebo was looking out for his future and family. Life is much longer and bigger than Gamecock football. Get a grip.

Our bass fishermen might get an idea in their heads, quit flipping jigs, and hold out for pro gigs based on not risking ulnar nerve damage.... and.........they did indeed laugh at Edison.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Lol, Deebo was looking out for his future and family. Life is much longer and bigger than Gamecock football. Get a grip.
If he was truly looking out for the future he would have stayed and got his degree. A few yrs from now football won’t be an option

Be interesting if a few potential 5 Star recruits with NFL aspirations see this thread and see how we value one of our best players in the past 15 years . And we wonder why we are in the bottom of the SEC recruiting rankings . Of course we would all rather have 3 Stars that are “All in” instead of program changers that might actually realize that this is a business . Can’t wait to celebrate all the Moral Victories .

Be interesting if a few potential 5 Star recruits with NFL aspirations see this thread and see how we value one of our best players in the past 15 years . And we wonder why we are in the bottom of the SEC recruiting rankings . Of course we would all rather have 3 Stars that are “All in” instead of program changers that might actually realize that this is a business . Can’t wait to celebrate all the Moral Victories .

Our in state rival gets 3 potential 1st round draft picks to come back for another year. Not sure how, but they did.

We cant get our best player to play the final game of his junior year.

Loyalty is a two way street. It is earned.

Reactions: aceman39
Our in state rival gets 3 potential 1st round draft picks to come back for another year. Not sure how, but they did.

We cant get our best player to play the final game of his junior year.

Loyalty is a two way street. It is earned.

Big difference is they are playing for national titles not WeedEater bowl trophies. Do you think for 1 second Deebo doesn’t play if we are In the playoffs or Championship game ?? Even when Spiller came back he had a small thought that his team could make a run at a title . I guarantee you if Clemson was playing in a Belk Bowl Deshaun’s senior year he probably doesn’t play . All those Juniors came back for Clemson last year because they wanted a National Title and another shot at Bama and they got it . What motivation do our guys have ?? Hey if you come back next year we might beat Kentucky and only lose by less than 20 to Bama , UGA , or Clemson . It’s very unfortunate but until this program is a factor in the conference or national rankings it will continue to happen . It stinks but it’s the truth . All this rah rah do it for the love of the game or your team died years ago . The money is to much and Careers are to short . If we really wanna watch guys play for the true love of the game watch AAF or High School . I’m old school like most you guys and it bothers me but I realize it’s different times .

I hope he gets drafted high and does well in the NFL because having successful players in the NFL is one of the best recruiting tools a program can have. The really good players are focused on making it to the next level and choose a school based on whether the school can help them get the highest payday.

That said, I think Deebo's decision not to play in the Belk Bowl sent a message to the entire team that...."this is not an important game so it isn't worth getting hurt and damaging my draft status/preparation". The team heard that loud and clear and went out and put up a poor effort. So I think Deebo's decision had a huge role in our getting pounded in Charlotte. This is just the sad state of college sports these days.

You say Clemson players didn't bail because they were playing for something big? BS. Commitment is commitment, doesn't matter how big the situation or the issue. What comes first? Commitment or championships? You know. ... If so-called 5-stars won't attend a certain school because the program asks for commitment, then let'em go somewhere else. They ain't 5 stars to me. You say "All this rah rah and for the love of the game died years ago". Well, that's the problem. Gets it back to "it's all about me, I'm what's important, screw everybody and everything else." If people with that attitude would join the military, that attitude would change in 2 days. I know - football ain't the military, it's just some stupid game, so maybe Deebo or any player ain't important at all, after all is said and done.

You say Clemson players didn't bail because they were playing for something big? BS. Commitment is commitment, doesn't matter how big the situation or the issue. What comes first? Commitment or championships? You know. ... If so-called 5-stars won't attend a certain school because the program asks for commitment, then let'em go somewhere else. They ain't 5 stars to me. You say "All this rah rah and for the love of the game died years ago". Well, that's the problem. Gets it back to "it's all about me, I'm what's important, screw everybody and everything else." If people with that attitude would join the military, that attitude would change in 2 days. I know - football ain't the military, it's just some stupid game, so maybe Deebo or any player ain't important at all, after all is said and done.

Hey I’m not saying I don’t agree with you to an extent , and yes football damn sure ain’t the military . Also , our military and first responders shoudn’t be making $40,000 a year risking their lives when Bryce Harper is making $25 Million to hit a baseball but that’s life unfortunately. Sucks but unfortunately 80,000 people are not paying $100 a ticket to watch PT . Also you are wrong about 1 thing , no player has sat out a championship or even playoff game for draft status . Commitment unfortunately is not commitment . If I take a job making XYZ and another job offers me XYZ+++++ a month later then I’m gone because my family and my kid’s future is 100% more important to me than a commitment to anybody . Everybody on this planet has done the same thing at one point in their lives . Why is this different ?? How much money did USC make off of Deebo the last 3 years ?? How much did he see ? I agree totally with your perspective but unfortunately it’s not the way things are anymore .

Reactions: tngamecock#
I didn't pay to watch Deebo play. I paid to see the Gamecocks play. ... If I am making XYZ and am offered XYZ++, I will go, but only after I have fulfilled my commitment to whomever is paying me XYZ. Deebo didn't fulfill his commitment, didn't finish the contract. Still wish him well, though.

We have a lot of posters here that really get juiced up about where a guy goes in the NFL draft.

Clowney went #1 overall.

What'd that do for us?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT