ADVERTISEMENT

Deke Adams quote regarding the Kentucky game:

G-C-Gamecock

Jan 26, 2012
"We started fast," said defensive line coach Deke Adams, according toquotes released by South Carolina. "We got the interception early, then I think we just went into a relaxed mode after that first series, thinking things were going to happen. (Kentucky) kept playing and we didn't. We dug a hole for ourselves. We played a great second half and did a lot of really good things, but we just didn't get it done."

AND WARD CONFIRMS...

"For some reason we have to figure out how to start that way. We started the game pretty good against Kentucky. It was like we let up a little bit mentally and it cost us because they scored 24 points after the first turnover. We've got to figure a way to come out fast and keep it going throughout the game."

There you have it. We are now good enough to go up by 7 and hit the "relaxed mode" button...then stay there until the game is out of hand. No reason to get out of that mode, OR MAKE YOUR PLAYERS GET OUT OF IT, during the process of "digging that hole". How is it even possible for our coaches to admit this kind of stuff?

Reactions: evenkeel124
The part I like best is when all our fans said we made great adjustments at halftime. Then the players and coaches said they didn't change anything. Lol.

"We started fast," said defensive line coach Deke Adams, according toquotes released by South Carolina. "We got the interception early, then I think we just went into a relaxed mode after that first series, thinking things were going to happen. (Kentucky) kept playing and we didn't. We dug a hole for ourselves. We played a great second half and did a lot of really good things, but we just didn't get it done."

AND WARD CONFIRMS...

"For some reason we have to figure out how to start that way. We started the game pretty good against Kentucky. It was like we let up a little bit mentally and it cost us because they scored 24 points after the first turnover. We've got to figure a way to come out fast and keep it going throughout the game."

There you have it. We are now good enough to go up by 7 and hit the "relaxed mode" button...then stay there until the game is out of hand. No reason to get out of that mode, OR MAKE YOUR PLAYERS GET OUT OF IT, during the process of "digging that hole". How is it even possible for our coaches to admit this kind of stuff?[/QUOTE]

You're like a snot-nosed child in need of a bandage that simply will not stop howling.

MEMO: The Kentucky loss was a pipe bomb explosion that hit everyone not a bullet meant just for you. You're not the only one with scratches just one of those screaming the loudest as if your nicks are worse than those suffered by the rest of us. They're not ... most people just aren't incessantly whining about it.

Football season is a type of limited warfare with all kinds of ups and downs. Given your performance after this latest skirmish; heck considering your response even after winning the first battle if Patton, Washington, Grant or even Lee were your Commanding General you'd at best be slapped silly and more likely shot or hung for the dissention you constantly try to stir up among the troops.

We haven't lost a leg or been gut-shot so don't act as if we have. You're kinda' like a blind assassin - lethal but not really accurate. Dangerous, though not to anyone 'specifically' ... you just like to load and shoot. Why don't you try saving your ammo for a while. Your constant moaning is tiresome.

AND WARD CONFIRMS...

There you have it. We are now good enough to go up by 7 and hit the "relaxed mode" button...then stay there until the game is out of hand. No reason to get out of that mode, OR MAKE YOUR PLAYERS GET OUT OF IT, during the process of "digging that hole". How is it even possible for our coaches to admit this kind of stuff?
Please tell me how you "get your players out of it". If you mean scream and yell and slap them in the helmet I'm pretty sure that was done.

I thought the same thing they said. It's like we have to get our backs against the wall before we can start playing. That and no offensive identity yet. Can run the ball outside but have to keep trying to pass and run inside. You should keep doing what works until they adjust and then switch offensive strategies. Both games running outside was working but we don't stick with it.

Reactions: swampfox33
L
If they were not here, do you think it would've been different last Saturday night?
Yes I do. I think both of them should've been gone long ago. Having Clowney double and triple teamed made a lot of defensive coaches look good. If this is you Ward, I've known you couldn't run a defense for a long time.

This isn't a complicated game. Stop the run and the pass with 4 defensive lineman you will win more than you lose. No matter who you have at other positions. 2012 we had the best DL we've ever had. We choked a big one against UF.

This isn't a complicated game. Stop the run and the pass with 4 defensive lineman you will win more than you lose. No matter who you have at other positions. 2012 we had the best DL we've ever had. We choked a big one against UF.

That happens. Remember the yr florida blocked like 3 of our kicks to barely beat us? We sucked and they won the National championship that yr

Reactions: Bleedgandb3334
The part I like best is when all our fans said we made great adjustments at halftime. Then the players and coaches said they didn't change anything. Lol.

Yet the defense didn't allow any points in the second half. ??

Last edited:
Please tell me how you "get your players out of it". If you mean scream and yell and slap them in the helmet I'm pretty sure that was done.
I'm not paid a million $ to figure that out. They are the " SEC caliber" coaches, not me. I think the bigger question is what type of preparation goes into these games that the players slip into a coma after kickoff.

So both Adams and Ward basically admitted that they don't know what they are doing. Great!
Is Ward or Adams in charge of the defense this year? Do Hoke get any blame for the defense missing tackles? I don't know, but for some reason I heard a man name Jon was in charge this year!

Is Ward or Adams in charge of the defense this year? Do Hoke get any blame for the defense missing tackles? I don't know, but for some reason I heard a man name Jon was in charge this year!
Ward is Co-DC. Didn't see Hoke answering the questions. Perhaps they should have let him.

Ward is Co-DC. Didn't see Hoke answering the questions. Perhaps they should have let him.
Yes he is the Co-defensive coordinator not the one in charge! That title belongs to J Hoke who should be answering questions concerning the Gamecock defense, the bad play in the first half is on Brady's big brother just as much as it is on Ward!

I'm all for keeping mumbles out of the spotlight.

Is name is lorenzo dont know why u guys insist on slurs......you want to blame ward and adams but hoke is a great coach......its amazing how narrow minded you people are

Is name is lorenzo dont know why u guys insist on slurs......you want to blame ward and adams but hoke is a great coach......its amazing how narrow minded you people are
I'm well aware his name is Lorenzo Whammy Mumbles Ward, and yes, when he and Adams give evidence they have no clue in an interview, then I blame them.

Worst hire by far was getting this DL coach from UNC with his "wine and cheese" attitude whom just can't seem figure out how to coach the intensity required to play real college defense.

Was warned by UNC fans back when he was hired and they were 100% right....the 2nd half showed that it is more a lack of effort than talent which has changed from the old days when the DL wreaked havoc like the 2nd half in nearly every single play of every single game.

This isn't anything new remember last year when these bozo's defense immediately went in Five Points mode every single time that Dylan and the offense scored the TD to go up by 2 scores in the 4th Q....you could absolutely guarantee than the wine and cheese defense would five up a TD within 1.35 seconds of the next possession to allow UT,MIzzou, UK, or Auburn back into the game....

It is sad....so expect another pee-poor effort on Saturday where the DL and LB go back to their "stand up and engage the OL" coached technique...don't want to make it difficult on those OLmen..

Worst hire by far was getting this DL coach from UNC with his "wine and cheese" attitude whom just can't seem figure out how to coach the intensity required to play real college defense.

Was warned by UNC fans back when he was hired and they were 100% right....the 2nd half showed that it is more a lack of effort than talent which has changed from the old days when the DL wreaked havoc like the 2nd half in nearly every single play of every single game.

This isn't anything new remember last year when these bozo's defense immediately went in Five Points mode every single time that Dylan and the offense scored the TD to go up by 2 scores in the 4th Q....you could absolutely guarantee than the wine and cheese defense would five up a TD within 1.35 seconds of the next possession to allow UT,MIzzou, UK, or Auburn back into the game....

It is sad....so expect another pee-poor effort on Saturday where the DL and LB go back to their "stand up and engage the OL" coached technique...don't want to make it difficult on those OLmen..
I agree Adams was an awful hire and he should've been let go his first year in Columbia. It didn't take a genius to see the inept job this guy was doing with our defensive front. But the fact of the matter is, he's still on the Gamecock sideline and its up to Hoke to convince SOS to drop him off his defensive staff.

Besides the hires our recruiting has been sub par at best the past 3 years and it's showing on all fronts. We are in no way a competitive team anymore in the SEC. Watching the rest of the league it's apparent we don't have the talent and it's sad to watch. Changes must be made and made soon.

Must admit, DB play and coaching is terrible. Playing 8 yards off receiver head up and allowing an easy slant every play is pathetic. We even do this inside the 30 yard line when no way should get beat deep. Why we cannot play 2-3 yards off on inside shoulder and push a receiver to the outside is beyond me. If he tries to cross you knock him down, and use the sideline as another defender. It takes perfect throw and catch over DB head to complete pass this way. Better to get beat deep occasionally than that soft ass coverage.

Reactions: cocknjax
When you get to this level, there is no excuse for lack of effort. In my opinion, it falls on the shoulders of the Head Coach. I think it goes back to Clowney. I don't care what anybody says, it didn't look to me like he was giving much effort his Jr year. Since it wasn't addressed, guys have fallen into that culture.

I'd quit watching if I believed that

I knew we had issues when Adams and Botkin got into it during the 2013 Georgia game. We made poor assistant coaching hires. Considering we had a #1 draft pick and a very talented defense.....how did we end up with guys who were coaching at UNC and a high school? Blame goes across the board for that mistake. Weve underachieved on defense from 2013 to now. I firmly believe we blew a chance at a national title in 2013 because of these poor hires. Oh well, at least we seem to be doing something right for a half...which is more than last year. Hopefully we light a fire under these guys and give 100% every game the rest of the way.

Sounds to me like we have a bunch of mentally SOFT players on the defensive side of the ball. How they think theyre anywhere close to good enough, to "let up" with only a 7 pnt lead is beyond me. Especially after the pitiful attempt at playing D they showed last year.

At some point they've got to show some damn pride & step the hell up....for 60 mins.

There were adjustments. Defensive backs played tighter, we disguised better (after spurrier got hoke's ass about it) and the ends started containing the edges, forcing the rb inside. Those are adjustments.

Deke see if you can stop this trend.

ESPN.com said: "Georgia is averaging 259 rushing yards per game since the start of last season, 14 yards more than the next-closest SEC team. In that same stretch, South Carolina's defense has allowed 5.4 yards per carry, worst in the conference and 117th among all FBS defenses." Chubb is averaging 107 ypg on runs between the tackles, the most among active Power 5 players.

Hoke is fighting the old defensive mentality. Takes a little while to do that...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT