ADVERTISEMENT

Did anybody think that the gameplan was a little blah?

Justin Miller

Nov 10, 2010
When they turned the ball over on downs on the opening drive in the 3rd, the old Spurrier would have gone deep and make them pay quick... Now we ran the ball well, that is encouraging, I just dont see any new plays or gameplans the last few years. We also the last two years (granted this is the first game this year) dont seem very crisp. Often times we are looking around until 10 seconds on the game clock before we even get the play in and we had so many stupid penaltys, delay of games, offsides. But saying all that, man I am glad we won. I live in NC and play golf with a few UNC fans every saturday so I would have never heard the end of it if we would have lost. Our defense did the most important thing and held the opponent to fewer points then we scored. They did give up some yards and we were fortunate because UNC made some mistakes but so did we. It was an ugly game to watch but a W is a W and we didnt play against a lower division team like a lot of teams are doing including the Taters. We have a pretty tough schedule with 3 of the 4 non-conference opponents being UCF, UNC, and the Taters. Nobody can say we are scared to play good teams. I guess I am happy but still concerned mainly because we dont seem crisp and on the same page... It seems like its a trend. But again a win is a win

Running the ball was the only reason we won that game. We have a new qb that looked a bit lost at times. Going deep was never an option. My opinion, running every down was the best game plan.

I guess running the ball was a good gameplan but the overall lack of crispness I guess is what is concerning. It seemed like Connor had forever to throw the ball, were people just not open? You cant really tell when you are watching it on tv.

First game. Why try and score fast when the game plan was probably win time of possession.

For most of the second quarter, I thought the play-calling was good and was about what I expected. Smash-mouth running and lots of slips and screens in the passing game, with just enough down field passing to keep them honest. In the third quarter I got the sense that the coaches wanted to speed the game up and score as fast as they could, and we got away from our game a little bit. We started passing on just about every down, and it almost seems like the coaches were panicking. In the fourth quarter we got back to what we're good at and ran the ball, and it payed off. As long as we stick to what we're good at (the second quarter), rather than what we're not good at (the third quarter), we'll be alright.

Agree, game plan was sound, but the execution lacked the crispness that has been discussed. By the way, I thought Orth looked good on the four or five plays he was in.

I guess running the ball was a good gameplan but the overall lack of crispness I guess is what is concerning. It seemed like Connor had forever to throw the ball, were people just not open? You cant really tell when you are watching it on tv.

Talked to my brother who was there and said several times Mitch had all day with a receiver open. He said he was afraid to let it go.

Agree, game plan was sound, but the execution lacked the crispness that has been discussed. By the way, I thought Orth looked good on the four or five plays he was in.
Speaking of Orth......he seemed very composed for the little bit he did play.

First game of the season with a new QB.

It is expected.

If I could have gotten my hands around Spurrier's throat right after he took Orth out, we'd be looking for a new coach. Why do you stymie a QB whose moving the ball?
To be fair, Orth came in with less than a minute left in the half. We had already killed any chance of scoring by running thirty seconds off the clock with that option play (side note: WHY DO WE DID WE DO THAT!?!?! WHY DO WE ALWAYS DO THAT!?!?!), and UNC was basically just playing to run out the clock. Easier to move the ball under those circumstances than with the full brunt of the defense bearing down on you. But I agree, Orth did look very composed, which is a pleasant surprise.

We are very fortunate. 2 interceptions in end zone and a pick six dropped.
Good win but fortunate.

If the game plan had been even MORE blah... like about 20 more running plays... we might have won by another TD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT