ADVERTISEMENT

Did I hear right?? Mitch has been healthy for a couple of weeks???

It was redshirted so it's not guaranteed that you'll get up medical hardship. Also staff has to prove that he was out for the season with an injury and not sitting on a shelf after recovering.
He was hurt in the second game. He actually ended up with a serious infection caused by an injury while playing in the game.He was in the hospital. Even Clemson sent their condolences to him. What more proof do you need. He will receive a medical redshirt for the season .

He was hurt in the second game. He actually ended up with a serious infection caused by an injury while playing in the game.He was in the hospital. Even Clemson sent their condolences to him. What more proof do you need. He will receive a medical redshirt for the season .
I never heard about the infection. That's got to be a million-to-one occurrence. That's super serious, hope he recovers well from it.

The was a report before the Florida game that Mitch was back and healthy and could play in a limited role.

Then today, WVOC reported that Mich has been available to play for the last 4 weeks.

No one is talking about SCar? He's still on the team? Right?

Orth had a couple of major flaws. First, he's short so often he didn't see the field as well as he should have and made some terrible, terrible throws. It also caused the ball to sail on him anytime he tried to really zip a ball into a guy. He was always throwing high. Second issue was that he predetermined his throws way too often. Even on several passes that he completed that looked good he was throwing into triple coverage and getting lucky. Passes that should have never been risked. Third issue was his inability to handle pressure and make good decisions. How many times did he take a sack when we couldn't take a sack? How many times did he look like a deer in the headlights when the game was on the line? He was in way over his head.

Bottom line is Orth is a hardworking kid, that could throw a decent ball, and should have never been more than a scout team player at an SEC school.

Reactions: Baileyjb74
When the defense was generating turnovers and keeping Clemson out of the end zone in the first half, our offense scored 3 points. It's only when we were down 3 scores in the second half that Orth showed in any life. It's the same in every game.

Agreed. He missed some passes in the first half. The 3rd and long attempt to Deebo was terrible. I'm not saying he's great, but I do think he's the best we have. Hopefully Nunez benefited from his experience this season and will play with more patience next season and not be so quick to tuck and run. Connor Shaw was also quick to run as an underclassmen, but turned out to be a great passer later in his career. Once Nunez learns how to read defenses he will be a good QB. With a new coach coming in the QB competition should be wide open next season. Let's see who earns it!

I had a feeling that Spurrier like Mitch but the rest the staff didn't. That's my take on it .

This is the real answer. Spurrier for some reason loved Mitch even when he was being outplayed in practice by Orth. Orth was a team leader and the players loved him. In addition, I also heard that Mitch was really sick while in the hospital and lost a ton of weight. While he may have been capable of playing, he wasn't in great shape. I think the coaches felt that Orth gave us the best chance of winning. Better than Nunez whose shoulder was too banged up to be a throwing threat and Mitch who really never looked comfortable in game situations.

Agreed. He missed some passes in the first half. The 3rd and long attempt to Deebo was terrible. I'm not saying he's great, but I do think he's the best we have. Hopefully Nunez benefited from his experience this season and will play with more patience next season and not be so quick to tuck and run. Connor Shaw was also quick to run as an underclassmen, but turned out to be a great passer later in his career. Once Nunez learns how to read defenses he will be a good QB. With a new coach coming in the QB competition should be wide open next season. Let's see who earns it!

I agree. Looking forward to the spring game.

This is the real answer. Spurrier for some reason loved Mitch even when he was being outplayed in practice by Orth. Orth was a team leader and the players loved him. In addition, I also heard that Mitch was really sick while in the hospital and lost a ton of weight. While he may have been capable of playing, he wasn't in great shape. I think the coaches felt that Orth gave us the best chance of winning. Better than Nunez whose shoulder was too banged up to be a throwing threat and Mitch who really never looked comfortable in game situations.

What about SCar??? What happened to him?

Orth did not cost us the Clemson game, it was the coaching staff...

1st quarter 4th and 1 around the 20 yard line and we throw an INT at the 7th...

2nd quarter attempt a 56 yard FG way past Small Fry's range and what really coast us.

1st or 2nd and goal at the 3 yard line and didn't do a toss sweep...

Mitch had a credible performance in the UNC game for someone starting his first college game ever on national television against an apparently good Tar Heel team.
very good UNC team like you said his 1st start . His 2nd he was hurt from the beginning so that wasn't a good measure. Once he was healed job should have been his. It seems like Mangus didn't want the qb Spurrier and him selected in summer, spring ball. Egos of loser coaching staff got in the way . Mitch has a Rifle Orth a pistol .

Reactions: cockofdawn
Orth did not cost us the Clemson game, it was the coaching staff...

1st quarter 4th and 1 around the 20 yard line and we throw an INT at the 7th...

2nd quarter attempt a 56 yard FG way past Small Fry's range and what really coast us.

1st or 2nd and goal at the 3 yard line and didn't do a toss sweep...

1st and 2nd down play calling was horrible. I'm not sure if we ever attempted a pass on first down. We kept running one of our two running plays without any success at all. We are in desperate need of an OC.

Just hasn't worked out for the kid. He absolutely isn't the first highly rated recruit that didn't pan out in college.
No, but I can't think of one highly rated QB recruit who has panned out during Spurrier's tenure at USC. Connor Shaw was hands down the best QB we've had in decades and he wasn't highly rated as a recruit.

I think Orth gets more hate than he deserves because we had a bad season. He's not a bad quarterback, just not a good one. A guy who's good enough not to lose games all on his own, but not good enough to win you any, either. He's the epitome of "average." At the end of the day, Orth is a decent player who got thrown into the SEC meat grinder in the middle of a season full of off-field difficulties. The perception of him by fans is similar to that of Dylan Thompson at the end of last year: he actually had a pretty solid season, statistically, but everyone hates him because the team as a whole had a disappointing year. He should be praised for putting in a creditable performance under difficult circumstances, not despised.
Finally a voice of reason

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT