ADVERTISEMENT

Did you know that Brad Scott had our first

I guess the fact someone is actually asking this question shows my age. Having said that, I was at that first bowl win and at every game during that era. Based on reputation Brad was absolutely the best hire we could have made. He came in with his high flying offense and made Tanneyhill look like a Heisman winner. We were setting offensive records. His downfall was Wally Burnham, a pathetic defensive coordinator. Won't ramble too much about all of this but the fact is Brad recruited his ass off at Carolina and his players were mostly responsible for our success and bowl wins under Holtz.

Personally I have very fond memories of Brad being here until close to the end. I truly believe if Wally hadn't been such an influence on Brad that he probably would have continued to have offensive success (look at his recruiting); couple that with a competent defensive coordinator and who knows where we would have gone.

It would be much easier to make the case that Brad Scott won with Sparky's players than to say that the roster Brad Scott left Lou Holtz with was responsible for Lou Holtz's success. Scott was left with a QB who had already been pretty successful in the SEC, two running backs that went to the NFL, and a pretty good receiving corps. Holtz first recruiting class had the Mr. Football recipients from 3 different states. Whatever talent was left from Brad Scott's tenure was developed by Holtz's coaching staff and it took a while. After Scott's team went 1-10, and Holtz followed with 0-11, it would be a stretch to say Holtz inherited a gold mine.

As far as recruiting is concerned, one of the best players Scott ever recruited, Marcus Robinson, barely saw the field. Robinson went on to play in the NFL and set the single season receiving record for the Chicago Bears which stood until 2012.

Shocked that there is even one Brad “Tater Tot” Scott apologist among the Carolina fan base. He belongs in the hall of infamy with Darrin Horn and Steve Newton. A forgettable coach who did not advance the program and spit on the the school that gave him a chance.

Thought experiment - Imagine had we hired Mark Richt from Bowden’s FSU staff instead of Fat Brad (Richt was QB coach when Brad was OC and coached Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke to Heisman Trophies and was arguably the real talent on FSU offensive coaching staff).
Yep....I remember it being argued that we hired the wrong one off that staff.

some where along the way we have to go long term with someone and take bad years with good years...develop a continuity-----> developing players----->graduating players----->increasing vitality of program and understanding that you are going to have ups and downs...until people trust your product and trust the coaches who have been around for awhile......LONG TERM GOAL...long term returns....Rome was not built in a day...

Check out the roster Holtz inherited........say what you will, but the majority of the players Holtz won with early on were recruited by Scott. He was known nationally as a top notch recruiter; as far as that part goes he did not disappoint based on the wins we had in the 2-3 years after his departure.

Reactions: rogue cock
Check out the roster Holtz inherited........say what you will, but the majority of the players Holtz won with early on were recruited by Scott. He was known nationally as a top notch recruiter; as far as that part goes he did not disappoint based on the wins we had in the 2-3 years after his departure.

Scary to think about where we would have been without Holtz. Scott would have had those guys winning 3-4 games max.

The roster Holtz inherited was the same one Scott went 1-10 with. Who are the great recruits Scott brought in? Scott had a habit of signing players that couldn't qualify. Anthony Wright was the most highly touted recruit he signed and he never lived up to the hype.

The roster Holtz inherited was the same one Scott went 1-10 with. Who are the great recruits Scott brought in? Scott had a habit of signing players that couldn't qualify. Anthony Wright was the most highly touted recruit he signed and he never lived up to the hype.
Here is the 1998 roster:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/south-carolina/1998-roster.html

Here is the 1999 roster:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/south-carolina/1999-roster.html

Quite a few very good players listed on both rosters. Some were young and inexperienced in 1998.

I guess the fact someone is actually asking this question shows my age. Having said that, I was at that first bowl win and at every game during that era. Based on reputation Brad was absolutely the best hire we could have made. He came in with his high flying offense and made Tanneyhill look like a Heisman winner. We were setting offensive records. His downfall was Wally Burnham, a pathetic defensive coordinator. Won't ramble too much about all of this but the fact is Brad recruited his ass off at Carolina and his players were mostly responsible for our success and bowl wins under Holtz.

Personally I have very fond memories of Brad being here until close to the end. I truly believe if Wally hadn't been such an influence on Brad that he probably would have continued to have offensive success (look at his recruiting); couple that with a competent defensive coordinator and who knows where we would have gone.
Most sensible post yet! Thank you

Do you think the 18-22 year olds should share the blame for 1-10 season? Don’t think Brad took any snaps during the season.

The kids had talent and Brad provided some of those kids the motivation to win 17 games after he taunted them being carried off the field after going 0-11.

That group should have beat Clemson twice. The 2000 push off by Rod Garner on Andre Goodman that wasn't called saved Clemson and Scott a loss the next season. We beat them 20 to 15 the next season when they came back to Columbia.

Two really good seasons under Lou Holtz followed up that Brad Scott taunt with big Outback Bowl wins over Ohio State and should have been 2 big Clemson wins instead of 1.

OK, now over 3 pages in I have to ask, what on earth prompted dredging up this old topic?

00673e76abee1c9403d1f7c07e4d37cac42567d0bf0b4aba03cb56932d93ccbe.jpg

Reactions: bayrooster
some where along the way we have to go long term with someone and take bad years with good years...develop a continuity-----> developing players----->graduating players----->increasing vitality of program and understanding that you are going to have ups and downs...until people trust your product and trust the coaches who have been around for awhile......LONG TERM GOAL...long term returns....Rome was not built in a day...
You mean do what Clemson did with Dabo?
Like it or not, it's the truth.

Here is the 1998 roster:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/south-carolina/1998-roster.html

Here is the 1999 roster:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/south-carolina/1999-roster.html

Quite a few very good players listed on both rosters. Some were young and inexperienced in 1998.

Except that the most notable players on that roster were Watson, Brewer, and Pinnock all of whom Holtz recruited. Petty was not very good his first two years and made considerable improvement his last two years under Holtz. The defensive players Holtz inherited from Scott; Abraham, Caldwell, Stamper, and Edwards were good but the secondary on the 1999 roster were Holtz recruits for the most part and most of them went on to play in the NFL.

The only other player that Holtz inherited that went on to have a pro career was Troy Hambrick, who Holtz ran off before the season started.

Last edited:
People forget all the important work Scott's done keeping the BBQ buffets in business. The man's practically a saint.

True story ...

I have two close relatives that worked part time at Seawell's during football season. They also setup the food in a few of the suites at the stadium during the game. One of the them told me that win or lose, The Bradstard was there to chow down on his half-chicken meal -- win or lose. One of them told me how strange it looked that Scott would always be smiling as he chowed down on the food after the games in the last year when the team was 1-10.

Reactions: Gaimcock
That's what I would like to know.
A lot of this board likes to make fun of Coach Scott because he’s a little overweight. I was just curious as to how many of these posters are fat asses themselves.Not that complicated, but most on here can’t answer a simple question. Have you Fat asses, and you know who you are, ever heard the old saying about the pot calling the kettle black?

Except that the most notable players on that roster were Watson, Brewer, and Pinnock all of whom Holtz recruited. Petty was not very good his first two years and made considerable improvement his last two years under Holtz. The defensive players Holtz inherited from Scott; Abraham, Caldwell, Stamper, and Edwards were good but the secondary on the 1999 roster were Holtz recruits for the most part and most of them went on to play in the NFL.

The only other player that Holtz inherited that went on to have a pro career was Troy Hambrick, who Holtz ran off before the season started.
Lou inherited Sheldon Brown an Andre Goodman in the Secondary. Both were 3 year starters. And went on to lengthy NFL career's.

Last edited:
A lot of this board likes to make fun of Coach Scott because he’s a little overweight. I was just curious as to how many of these posters are fat asses themselves.Not that complicated, but most on here can’t answer a simple question. Have you Fat asses, and you know who you are, ever heard the old saying about the pot calling the kettle black?
Good....eventhough I seldom do, I qualify to criticize. Still have the remnants of a 6-pack at 56 years old....swimming twice a day and kayaking 3/4 times a week does wonders.

I was there for that game. A lot of fun. I was a junior in high school. My first and hopefully last interaction with a transvestite on Miami Beach. His or Her question. "Hey want to go to a party?" Me: "NO" Him or Her: "Don't be scared, I ain't gonna stab you or nothing". Me: running
I've never been back to Miami and never will.

Well, I'm not a Fat Ass. The reason most people call him that is because he is fat but it's just something else to identify him as in addition to being a traitor. Those same people, including myself would have gladly overlooked his robust waistline if he had not been a traitor. Once you are banded a traitor all the previous good things one has done in life goes away. No one and I mean no one even wants to hear about them and they the traitor will never be recognized for his good deeds. I myself had forgotten about Fat Brad (and again I am not fat) being the coach of our team when they won our first bowl game.

I remember this much about the win, I was working that day and when out to my car and listened to the last few minutes of the game. We barely hung on to get the win, I think USC won the game in-spite of Fat Brad not because of him.

Lou inherited Sheldon Brown an Andre Goodman in the Secondary. Both were 3 year starters. And went on to lengthy NFL career's.

That's true he inherited them, but they were both reserves under Scott. They both credit Holtz and say he turned SC into DB U.

You can't win without offensive linemen and when Holtz came in there were none to be found!

You mean do what Clemson did with Dabo?
Like it or not, it's the truth.
it's just common sense and even more with USC football...we have no high end tradition of winning...we are barely above 500 and we seem to be a coaches grave yard...so lets change the culture or the way we are perceived....

That's true he inherited them, but they were both reserves under Scott. They both credit Holtz and say he turned SC into DB U.
Then why did you say Scott didn't leave talent in the Secondary.

Last edited:
Then why did you say Scott didn't leave talent in the Secondary.

That isn't what I said. I said that most of the secondary on the 1999 roster were Holtz recruits. To say Holtz won because of the talent he inherited is absurd. Sheldon Brown and Andre Goodman were developed by Holtz's staff, period. They played very little for Brad Scott. They didn't really make an impact until they were in their junior years, the second year in Holtz's program. They may have been great under Brad Scott if he had them for 4 years, or they may have gone the route of Marcus Robinson, a high school All-American who rode the bench for 4 years under Scott and then went on to be All-NFL.

That isn't what I said. I said that most of the secondary on the 1999 roster were Holtz recruits. To say Holtz won because of the talent he inherited is absurd. Sheldon Brown and Andre Goodman were developed by Holtz's staff, period. They played very little for Brad Scott. They didn't really make an impact until they were in their junior years, the second year in Holtz's program. They may have been great under Brad Scott if he had them for 4 years, or they may have gone the route of Marcus Robinson, a high school All-American who rode the bench for 4 years under Scott and then went on to be All-NFL.
Scott did leave some good talent at certain positions. His staffs development of that talent was a huge concern as was his roster management. While he had enough talent at certain positions, he was woefully lacking at others.

Scott did leave some good talent at certain positions. His staffs development of that talent was a huge concern as was his roster management. While he had enough talent at certain positions, he was woefully lacking at others.

I agree with all of that. I'm not a Brad Scott hater, but I don't think his staff had the skills to extricate themselves from the depths the program had plunged. What Holtz did here in two years was nothing short of amazing.

I remember that year 5th or 6th QB ( a wide receiver) and went through 11 linemen....had a decent D...
Yep, mikal goodman was a 2nd string wr moved to qb after the first 4 went down. Defense was pretty good, just was on the field way too much each game thanks to our offense being so bad. We only ageraged around 10 points a game i believe that year

it's just common sense and even more with USC football...we have no high end tradition of winning...we are barely above 500 and we seem to be a coaches grave yard...so lets change the culture or the way we are perceived....

I'm not in the anti-Muschamp camp yet, but I've always thought that our "coaching graveyard" thing is overblown. Looking back at our past coaches we've got:

Spurrier: great coach, late in his career when we hired him, everyone knew USC would be his last coaching stop (I'm not counting whatever minor league thing he's doing right now).

Holtz: good coach, extremely late in his career when we hired him, everyone knew USC would be his last coaching stop.

Scott: did a terrible job as a head coach at USC. Never did anything after his career at USC to prove he was anything but someone who had no business head coaching in the SEC.

Sparky: did a pretty bad job as head coach. Never did anything after his career at USC to prove he was anything but someone who had no business head coaching in the SEC.

Morrison: Died. I guess you can say we were a literal coaching graveyard for him, but it's not exactly the fault of the school.

Bell: Bad head coach, never proved otherwise.

Carlen: This is the one who got away. He's the only coach that we've fired over the years who we should've kept.

So anyway, I don't see Carolina as a coaching graveyard. To me, that would imply we take perfectly good coaches and somehow ruin their careers. With the sole exception of Carlen (and Morrison, I suppose), we've either hired a bunch of bad coaches that needed to be fired or older coaches who were never going to coach again anyway. Only if we were firing coaches who went on to do great things elsewhere would I say that we are a coaching graveyard.

I'm not in the anti-Muschamp camp yet, but I've always thought that our "coaching graveyard" thing is overblown. Looking back at our past coaches we've got:

Spurrier: great coach, late in his career when we hired him, everyone knew USC would be his last coaching stop (I'm not counting whatever minor league thing he's doing right now).

Holtz: good coach, extremely late in his career when we hired him, everyone knew USC would be his last coaching stop.

Scott: did a terrible job as a head coach at USC. Never did anything after his career at USC to prove he was anything but someone who had no business head coaching in the SEC.

Sparky: did a pretty bad job as head coach. Never did anything after his career at USC to prove he was anything but someone who had no business head coaching in the SEC.

Morrison: Died. I guess you can say we were a literal coaching graveyard for him, but it's not exactly the fault of the school.

Carlen: This is the one who got away. He's the only coach that we've fired over the years who we should've kept.

So anyway, I don't see Carolina as a coaching graveyard. To me, that would imply we take perfectly good coaches and somehow ruin their careers. With the sole exception of Carlen (and Morrison, I suppose), we've either hired a bunch of bad coaches that needed to be fired or older coaches who were never going to coach again anyway. Only if we were firing coaches who went on to do great things elsewhere would I say that we are a coaching graveyard.
I guess sometimes my comprehension is not that good.

We got the nickname because we END careers.

In a coach’s first couple of seasons the majority of players playing are typically going to be the guys left over from previous coach as they are the upperclassmen. Without some of the impact players Holtz brought in, there is no way we have the success we did in that first 8 win season (year 2). Especially Derek Watson who rushed for 1,000 yards. Anyone name the 1,000 yard rushers we’ve. Had since?

And no doubt the Holtz staff developed players better than Scott would’ve. Look at the 1996 rosters Brad Scott had...we freaking won 6 games.

Also, when you are looking at a roster you have to look further than having a good player at a few positions. We should know by now you must have DEPTH. Scott’s teams never had that and were pathetic in the trenches. Duce Staley was amazing, with a QB that had a long NFL career, and still couldn’t muster up a 1,000 yard season.

I mean, regardless...this discussion is baffling. People forget we literally had a divided locker room and a 1-10 season in year freaking 5. Even if there was talent there...no chance Scott could’ve been coaching them. Who knows how many may have transferred out? Who stays? The situation Holtz walked in was awful. It was clear in the 0-11 season Lou was stubbornly establishing his style of football. Thank goodness.

Last edited:
In fact, this thread is so bizarre I spent 3 minutes re-writing the opening for “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” for the OP.

Virgil Cane is lame
Cause he defends the Brad Scott name
Thank God the Holtz regime came
So that we could win again.

No offense VC...just felt right. You’re all good...

In fact, this thread is so bizarre I spent 3 minutes re-writing the opening for “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” for the OP.

Virgil Cane is lame
Cause he defends the Brad Scott name
Thank God the Holtz regime came
So that we could win again.

No offense VC...just felt right. You’re all good...
I’m not really defending his name, I just hate the nasty insults this board likes to sling at him when he’s just another gamecock coach. Nothing more, nothing less.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT