ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Wonnum 2n wk in row DLOW

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
DMRYQ69VQAAd5jf.jpg

According to some of the loons on this forum DJs achievement is impossible since he was a 3 star recruit...

And 80% of the time they'd be correct. But I'm glad this one is the exception. Our D line is really stepping up. It makes the entire defense so much better.

I love intellectually disingenuous post like these. I doubt anyone has ever said a 3 star player can't turn out to be great, but you know that. But to pretend teams that get a larger percentage or 4 and 5 star players aren't generally better than teams that get a larger percentage of 2 and 3 star players is ridiculous as well.

I love intellectually disingenuous post like these. I doubt anyone has ever said a 3 star player can't turn out to be great, but you know that. But to pretend teams that get a larger percentage or 4 and 5 star players aren't generally better than teams that get a larger percentage of 2 and 3 star players is ridiculous as well.
Exactly. Every diamond in the rough example of a successful 2 or 3 star kid doesn't mean that recruiting rankings mean nothing. Geez.

It's called having a chip on your shoulder. Intellectually honest players make lousy defense linemen.

You do realize the irony of accusing someone of being disingenuous while creating a strawman...I never said 1 word about what teams win with what rankings...The obvious point is how our fans take to the internet wailing and gnashing teeth each time we get a commit from a 3 star kid.....You also neglect the obvious fact that Bama and and every other successful program are fueled by 3 star kids that out perform their rankings of the gurus that know about as much as we do

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Amen. There are always exceptions. We have had lots of them before. Think Sidney Rice, KO Simpson, Ryan Brewer who ripped O. St. apart in two bowl games and the list goes. On balance though the 5's who become big contributors will outnumber the 3's by a big margin. I haven't run the numbers personally but I have read articles on others research, which show it's clearly true. And you are correct, I haven't seen anyone who totally believes 3's don't bubble up into bigger contributors than their 5's cousins.

The obvious point is how our fans take to the internet wailing and gnashing teeth each time we get a commit from a 3 star kid.....You also neglect the obvious fact that Bama and and every other successful program are fueled by 3 star kids that out perform their rankings of the gurus that know about as much as we do
No it's not obvious because that is NOT what happens. Fans complain about getting 15 3star kids along w maybe 5 4star ones while our competitors are getting 15 4stars and 5 3stars.

You also neglect the obvious fact that Bama and and every other successful program are fueled by 3 star kids that out perform their rankings of the gurus that know about as much as we do

Last 4 recruiting classes, going by rivals rankings, Alabama has 22 five star recruits, 57 four star recruits, and 22 three star recruits. You think their program is fueled off of the 22 three star kids that out preform their rankings, and not the 79 four and five star kids? Lol. Seriously?

Amen. There are always exceptions. We have had lots of them before. Think Sidney Rice, KO Simpson, Ryan Brewer who ripped O. St. apart in two bowl games and the list goes. On balance though the 5's who become big contributors will outnumber the 3's by a big margin. I haven't run the numbers personally but I have read articles on others research, which show it's clearly true. And you are correct, I haven't seen anyone who totally believes 3's don't bubble up into bigger contributors than their 5's cousins.
That is a mathematical impossibility. There are only 50 5 star recruits every year. Even if every 5 star recruit made it big there would still be more 3 stars that would be big contributors.

Reactions: lawcalcock
That is a mathematical impossibility. There are only 50 5 star recruits every year. Even if every 5 star recruit made it big there would still be more 3 stars that would be big contributors.
I assume he meant the percentage of 5 star players who become big contributors is greater than the percentage of 3 star players who become big contributors. Generally speaking, it's the only thing that makes sense....and is without a doubt true.

I assume he meant the percentage of 5 star players who become big contributors is greater than the percentage of 3 star players who become big contributors. Generally speaking, it's the only thing that makes sense....and is without a doubt true.
Well, yeah.....duh. Again, the numbers!!!!! Even if only 1 5 * made it, that would be one out of 50, which would be a higher % even if 8 3*s made it. Either way its a stupid argument.

Here's Lance Thompson talking about Wonnum before the start of last season. He knew DJ was going to be special.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT