ADVERTISEMENT

Do we start Johnson on Saturday against the pokes?

Coach Holbrook indicated in the post game that they may not go with the regular rotation because it took everything they had to get out of this regional using two starters twice so they are a little out of sorts right now. He then said with a smile on his face "The big boy" Tyler Johnson has had an extra day of rest so we have that option.

My guess is that Johnson starts game 1 because with OSU's staff runs are going to be at a premium and if Johnson can overpower Okla. State for one game and get us in front in the series, then we can use the rest of the staff to piece together to try to get the other win to get to Omaha. Again...you only have to win two games in the supers...so think you have more options to setup your pitching more short term than over a longer series of games like you see in the regionals and at the CWS.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I like starting Johnson game 1, webb game 2, schmidt game 3. Still leaves us Hill, Widener, Reagan and others to come out of the pen. I think our pitching will be fine, just a question of whether our bats will continue to stay hot, and/or we can manufacture a few runs. UNCW proved why they are not "elite". Not as many arms as us, and sketchy defense. From this point on we will see nothing but good arms. We are going to have to play more small ball to have a chance to win this thing....unless we keep hitting like he did this weekend.

I totally respect whatever Chad Holbrook & Jerry Meyers decide and believe, but if you were asking me I'd stick with our starting rotation, but have them on a shorter leash than normal with Widener, Reagan, and Johnson ready to pull long relief.

I totally respect whatever Chad Holbrook & Jerry Meyers decide and believe, but if you were asking me I'd stick with our starting rotation, but have them on a shorter leash than normal with Widener, Reagan, and Johnson ready to pull long relief.
They do definitely know more about it than anyone on this board!!

I just heard a few mins ago on 107.5 that Holbrook may start Tyler Johnson the 1st game. We have a number of options to go with. Just need to piece together great pitching & hitting for 3 games assuming we don't win the 1st two.

Reactions: stnbooth
I like starting Johnson game 1, webb game 2, schmidt game 3. Still leaves us Hill, Widener, Reagan and others to come out of the pen. I think our pitching will be fine, just a question of whether our bats will continue to stay hot, and/or we can manufacture a few runs. UNCW proved why they are not "elite". Not as many arms as us, and sketchy defense. From this point on we will see nothing but good arms. We are going to have to play more small ball to have a chance to win this thing....unless we keep hitting like he did this weekend.

This, This, and This some more.

Clarke has been off for several weeks now. He looks tired; it happens this time of year. He needs rest. Johnson is our best bet to get the ALL IMPORTANT game 1 win. Go read the article about Johnson's UNCW win. He was throwing 4 pitches for strikes, and he normally only throws 2 in a closer role.
Johnson has the fresh arm, mid 90's stuff, 4 pitches, and very little scouting reports on him as a starter. I hope we go with Johnson,

Johnson has the hot hand, so I think I would go with him. The good thing is USC has options.

I hate to not start Schmidt for all the good work he's done for us this year, put for some reason he just doesn't look the same, velocity looks down too me! That 1st game is huge, I'm liking the way you guys are thinking, Johnson!

I would go Webb in Game one. He has had his full week of rest (yes, he threw in Tuesday's game, but probably fewer pitches than he would normally on a Tuesday bullpen session). Johnson threw Sunday night and we don't quite know how he will respond after throwing that many pitches, though I suspect with nearly a full week, he'd be good to go. I would put him back in the pen to come in after Reagan (different look from Webb with his throwing style can really mess guys up). In game 2, I'd go Schmidt with harder throwing Johnson/Widener ready to roll, depending on who got used Saturday. That way you get chance to use Johnson in 2 games instead of just one. Also have Hill ready to go in Game 3 if needed on a full week's rest.

But, beforehand, can't really question what Meyers/Holbrook decide to do. Lots of intriguing options and several guys have really stepped up of late.

I'm sure Johnson is up for consideration and the staff is monitoring it as a serious option, but the wrinkle is if you don't you still have him to close or go game # 2

I can certainly understand all the confidence in Johnson and why so many want to start him in Game 1, but I feel most are assuming he's going to have another starter-like performance (don't want to say anyone assumes an identical outing). What happens, though, if you start Johnson in Game 1 and he only goes 3 or 4 innings? Sure we should have enough arms to piece together a maximum of 3 games, but then you've already burned your best closer.

On the other hand, I really like his confidence and his stuff. He's also able to keep the ball down pretty well. If he were to start Game 1 of the SR, then maybe we could start him Game 1 in Omaha too (assuming we make it). I think it's pretty clear the toughest team in our side of the bracket in Omaha is Louisville, which is who we would play in the first game.

Also, something I haven't seen anyone mention so far: If we do keep Johnson in a starter's role, other than a slight concern about possibly being too green, I think Adam Hill could possibly transition to a closer's role quite nicely. He's a predominantly strikeout pitcher with a mid 90's fastball, and it seems that most of his outings this year have been about 5 innings or shorter. Maybe he could excel in a closer's role, being sent out there for short stints and just letting him air it out. The only thing is, when he loses it, he really loses it and has a tendency to walk a bunch of guys. Can't have your closer walking a bunch of people late in tight games. This is probably something that would be a better switch moving into next year, but I think Hill could do in a fix as a closer. Thoughts? Would be awesome to see Johnson as a full-time starter next year if he can pitch even close to his performance on Sunday.

Reactions: uscbeckham
I can certainly understand all the confidence in Johnson and why so many want to start him in Game 1, but I feel most are assuming he's going to have another starter-like performance (don't want to say anyone assumes an identical outing). What happens, though, if you start Johnson in Game 1 and he only goes 3 or 4 innings? Sure we should have enough arms to piece together a maximum of 3 games, but then you've already burned your best closer.

On the other hand, I really like his confidence and his stuff. He's also able to keep the ball down pretty well. If he were to start Game 1 of the SR, then maybe we could start him Game 1 in Omaha too (assuming we make it). I think it's pretty clear the toughest team in our side of the bracket in Omaha is Louisville, which is who we would play in the first game.

Also, something I haven't seen anyone mention so far: If we do keep Johnson in a starter's role, other than a slight concern about possibly being too green, I think Adam Hill could possibly transition to a closer's role quite nicely. He's a predominantly strikeout pitcher with a mid 90's fastball, and it seems that most of his outings this year have been about 5 innings or shorter. Maybe he could excel in a closer's role, being sent out there for short stints and just letting him air it out. The only thing is, when he loses it, he really loses it and has a tendency to walk a bunch of guys. Can't have your closer walking a bunch of people late in tight games. This is probably something that would be a better switch moving into next year, but I think Hill could do in a fix as a closer. Thoughts? Would be awesome to see Johnson as a full-time starter next year if he can pitch even close to his performance on Sunday.

Then he may be able to throw 2 or 3 innings on Monday(if necessary).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT