ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone know the back stories about other coaches that might have been approached?

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
O'Sullivan, which I could not see him coming period. Monte Lee, was he even approached? I am not that high on Lee but time may prove me wrong. But just wondering if all of the blue bloods turned us down or what? Not that it matters at this point but just curious.

Reactions: USCBIRDS
O'Sullivan, which I could not see him coming period. Monte Lee, was he even approached? I am not that high on Lee but time may prove me wrong. But just wondering if all of the blue bloods turned us down or what? Not that it matters at this point but just curious.
There are four that were mentioned. O'Sullivan, Schlossnagle, Holliday, and O'Connor.

O'Sullivan and Schlossnagle are highly paid....each over $1MM...and would require us to break the bank to hire them as both UF and TCU can pay more than they already are. Holliday is also well paid and is at his alma mater and Okie State also has plenty of money to spend to keep him. O'Connor at UVA is reasonably affordable but he is at a program that he resurrected from the dead (UVA was about to cancel baseball) and built it into a powerhouse and O'Connor has reportedly turned everyone away without even an interview...he seems to love Charlottesville.

There are four that were mentioned. O'Sullivan, Schlossnagle, Holliday, and O'Connor.

O'Sullivan and Schlossnagle are highly paid....each over $1MM...and would require us to break the bank to hire them as both UF and TCU can pay more than they already are. Holliday is also well paid and is at his alma mater and Okie State also has plenty of money to spend to keep him. O'Connor at UVA is reasonably affordable but he is at a program that he resurrected from the dead (UVA was about to cancel baseball) and built it into a powerhouse and O'Connor has reportedly turned everyone away without even an interview...he seems to love Charlottesville.

Thanks for the information. But do you know anything about Lee, again just for curiosity.

The fact is we don't know who Ray approached for all we know he got his man. He got a young talented coach without having to empty the treasury to buy him from, say Fla. All we really know is what was in the rumor mill we can but guess about what transpired. I try to be a realist and not go on just emotion and who I think might be the best fit. This man turned down Va. Tech and Bama so they say and if he was good enough for them he surly is good enough for me.

The fact is we don't know who Ray approached for all we know he got his man. He got a young talented coach without having to empty the treasury to buy him from, say Fla. All we really know is what was in the rumor mill we can but guess about what transpired. I try to be a realist and not go on just emotion and who I think might be the best fit. This man turned down Va. Tech and Bama so they say and if he was good enough for them he surly is good enough for me.

I can't help but wonder if Ray had an informal conversation with Lee and Lee expressed no interest in the job? Again, just for curiosity. I had rather have Kingston, at this point, than Lee. Time might prove me wrong.

We need to remember that the "big" names that were out there were only mentioned by us fans and the media. Not once was a name uttered by Ray. IMO we'll never know who else he approached and who turned him down. At this point, since a hire has been made it would be bad form for him to divulge such information.

Agree, but it may still leak out at sometime by other sources.

Reactions: Tiger71
I can't help but wonder if Ray had an informal conversation with Lee and Lee expressed no interest in the job? Again, just for curiosity. I had rather have Kingston, at this point, than Lee. Time might prove me wrong.
It's hard to hire a coach away from another school when he is already making good money. Lee claims Ray didn't contact him is what I heard but who knows?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
When was the last time a top 10 coach left for another school,,,,,Auggie in the mid 90's? Just don't happen in College baseball

It seems silly to me that some of you think a million would so call " break the bank" yet if we would've signed Nick Saban I bet we would've found a few million extra to spend

It has been reported that Tanner met with Jim Toman, Kingston and Monte Lee.

Quote from The State today:

"Multiple sources told The State that O’Sullivan was seriously considering taking the USC job, but after winning the national title he apparently opted to remain at Florida."

Quote from The State today:

"Multiple sources told The State that O’Sullivan was seriously considering taking the USC job, but after winning the national title he apparently opted to remain at Florida."

Again, just the media throwing the name out there claiming "sources". Nothing concrete from either UF, USC, or Ray and KOS themselves.

Reactions: atl-cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT