ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t look now but recruiting is looking good.

The NFL HOF has a slew of inductees such as Walter Payton and Jerry Rice, who never received an offer from an SEC school. Maybe Beamer has found one or two of those overlooked types who may pan out big. …. I know the landscape in recruiting has changed, but just saying …

The NFL HOF has a slew of inductees such as Walter Payton and Jerry Rice, who never received an offer from an SEC school. Maybe Beamer has found one or two of those overlooked types who may pan out big. …. I know the landscape in recruiting has changed, but just saying …
No doubt exceptions to the rule always exist, but if you want to really elevate your program there's only one real way. Like they say...it ain't the Xs and Os, it's the Jimmy and Joes.

Yeah it's better to have a bunch of Alshon Jeffrey and Sidney Rices than one Jerry Rice though.

Clemson won't have the money to load up on 5 stars like they have in the past, and they won't have the money to keep top players and coaches. Lots of other schools have much bigger and richer alumni bases. It will take some time to work through the system, but I believe it will happen.

As for us, I have no confidence in our leadership. Every dime of NIL money should go to football and every dime of coaching money above the bare minimum should go to football. We've proven we don't have that kind of commitment.
WOW, "every dime ...to football, none to basketball or baseball. Feel sure Dawn will appreciate that.

I believe Dabo will be gone in a couple of years since he lost his coordinators and the transfer portal is aggravating him. If he can’t win 11-12 a year minimum he may not be able to take it.

Totally agree. You have already seen a few long time coaches, who are rich beyond their wildest dreams, step away from basketball. And think this will drift into football. Dabo had a great recruiting process going. But with NIL, and the transfer portal, it is a new day where many of the highest rated recruits are simply for sale to the highest bidder. That's an issue for Clemson, and for USC. Two schools in a small state with split loyalties puts both schools behind the eight ball. Dabo surely doesn't need the money, and seems to be against the portal more than NIL. Once he gets his last son through the program, I could see him walking off into retirement just because he doesn't want to fool with it.

One things for sure. Whatever the national situation is as far as what is allowed Clemson will get more out of it than we will. We’ve always been out worked by them behind the scenes. Plus they have one thing on the a$$es of their administration that ours do not…. expectations.

No doubt exceptions to the rule always exist, but if you want to really elevate your program there's only one real way. Like they say...it ain't the Xs and Os, it's the Jimmy and Joes.
I’m just hoping there will be a diamond ot two in that pile of players we have. Difference makers.
Go Cocks!

3 or 4 of the 3 star committed recruits were recently bumped up to 4 star. That says something about our coaches evaluations. Usually our guys are getting bumped down. Go Gamecocks.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
3 or 4 of the 3 star committed recruits were recently bumped up to 4 star. That says something about our coaches evaluations. Usually our guys are getting bumped down. Go Gamecocks.
Good to see but man I'm still scarred from the way people acted like our last coach was some kind of evaluation savant. I don't know who Muschamp had for a publicist behind the scenes, but he somehow had people fooled into thinking he was the Eval King. The idea that the rest of the SEC and Dabo were waiting to see who Boom offered before making their lists was always funny to me.

I understand that different services can vary widely. But Rivals (a searchable history I find easy to use) doesn't have any of this class moved to a 4 star. (Yet)

I understand that different services can vary widely. But Rivals (a searchable history I find easy to use) doesn't have any of this class moved to a 4 star. (Yet)
yeah, neither does 247. Guy was saying the same stuff about Muschamp and his evaluations. It's fine to be optimistic, but jfc. We have things to be excited this year with Rattler, Bell, ect. No need to sunshine pump this recruiting class thus far.

I BBC admit. I don’t follow close enough to know the difference ranking groups. There’s a reason I’m on a watered down free sight. Ha. But this is what I read.
Guess it came from the new MAGA sports channel.

“With the addition of a fourth network (On3) to the 247Sports Composite rankings, four of the Gamecocks’ high school signees in the 2022 class crossed the threshold into four-star range.”

still like to see the progression. Beats the alternative.

Reactions: roosterbell
I BBC admit. I don’t follow close enough to know the difference ranking groups. There’s a reason I’m on a watered down free sight. Ha. But this is what I read.

“With the addition of a fourth network (On3) to the 247Sports Composite rankings, four of the Gamecocks’ high school signees in the 2022 class crossed the threshold into four-star range.”

Well, 247's cvurrent rankings do show two of them are 4 stars. Not sure what generated that quote, or maybe it's just changed again since then.

Here's a link where you can just switch the years.

Unfortunately, on3 has gone with the strategy of inflating rankings. I guess it's smart on that part, customers are happier if they think they're recruiting better than they actually are recruiting.

Reactions: section907
Curious why do you think he makes such a big deal out of every committment?
The bigger question would be why would he not? The goal is to generate excitement as a coach. If you feel good enough about a recruit to offer a scholarship you better damn well be excited about it. Otherwise people see right through you

The bigger question would be why would he not? The goal is to generate excitement as a coach. If you feel good enough about a recruit to offer a scholarship you better damn well be excited about it. Otherwise people see right through you

His job is to show excitement even if the kid is a 2 star.

I get that some people think the cheerleader coaches can be a bit much at times, but this is what they are supposed to do.

His job is to show excitement even if the kid is a 2 star.

I get that some people think the cheerleader coaches can be a bit much at times, but this is what they are supposed to do.

As long as we're on board that he's doing this out of his self interest and not out of a profound belief these kids are actual big gets.

As long as we're on board that he's doing this out of his self interest and not out of a profound belief these kids are actual big gets.
Don’t think he would be signing them if he didn’t believe they would help. Certain coach in the upstate has made a good career out of signing three stars and even walk- ons. Beamer can do the same.

Don’t think he would be signing them if he didn’t believe they would help. Certain coach in the upstate has made a good career out of signing three stars and even walk- ons. Beamer can do the same.

USC upstate? Because Dabo didn't make his career signing 3 stars and walkons.

Reactions: 92Pony
They had far more three stars and below than the other teams they were facing in those playoff games

Ah, so he made a career out of having more 3 and less star guys on his team compared to the playoff competition. I can go with that.

The way you said it originally made it sound to me like he built his career/team signing mostly or only 3 stars and walkons. My mistake.

I was curious, so I looked up his first 2 full classes. 9 four stars the first year, then 6 four stars the next (to go with 4 five stars). Heck, even that first partial year, he had 7 four stars out of 12 signees.

I guess I'm saying I don't think it's a good comparison to say Clemson achieved their success with similar recruiting. And that's with the easier conference to deal with too.

Ah, so he made a career out of having more 3 and less star guys on his team compared to the playoff competition. I can go with that.

The way you said it originally made it sound to me like he built his career/team signing mostly or only 3 stars and walkons. My mistake.

I was curious, so I looked up his first 2 full classes. 9 four stars the first year, then 6 four stars the next (to go with 4 five stars). Heck, even that first partial year, he had 7 four stars out of 12 signees.

I guess I'm saying I don't think it's a good comparison to say Clemson achieved their success with similar recruiting. And that's with the easier conference to deal with too.
But they were playing and beating the best in the playoffs. Beamer can do the same. One step at a time. Can’t expect him to go toe to toe with Bama and Georgia right out of the gate. If he can get a little momentum with some underrated players, then he can go head up with those teams. Took Spurrier a few years

But they were playing and beating the best in the playoffs. Beamer can do the same. One step at a time. Can’t expect him to go toe to toe with Bama and Georgia right out of the gate. If he can get a little momentum with some underrated players, then he can go head up with those teams. Took Spurrier a few years

I get the want to compare them, but to do so (just my opinion) Beamer would have to be signing more 4 stars now, and he would have to have a much easier conference to compete against as well.

I agree though that you've got to win with what you get. Sometimes you get the "new coach bump", but I think a big thing for clemson was introducing the aggressive passing offense. I think kids want to play for offenses like that.

The home run for the taters was the guy currently on trial for happy endings. He elevated that program. That and osterine and Venables. Btw. Makes sense now that the boys in the locker rooms like the ol finger butt plug game that leaked onto the field. It’s obvious who the ring leader was. That’s all some weird stuff.

I get the want to compare them, but to do so (just my opinion) Beamer would have to be signing more 4 stars now, and he would have to have a much easier conference to compete against as well.

I agree though that you've got to win with what you get. Sometimes you get the "new coach bump", but I think a big thing for clemson was introducing the aggressive passing offense. I think kids want to play for offenses like that.
This is definitely a tough neighborhood. Will be an uphill battle

App state has been rolling for 30 years with 3 stars and below and walkons. If Saban signs anybody they automatically go to a 5 star. I guess the raters think they poorly evaluated anybody they have below 5 star that he signs.

As much as it pains me to say, the certain coach in the upstate made his career out of signing generational talents at QB and 5 star lineman.

Comparing our situations just shows you're not arguing in good faith.

100%!!
If you look back at the beginning of cu's current run, they were getting skill players - Spiller, Hopkins, 'Potkins', Williams, etc..... Because that brand of offense was fun and exciting! They were building, but not quite gaining full traction until...... Once they addressed the trenches, things really took off.

The home run for the taters was the guy currently on trial for happy endings. He elevated that program. That and osterine and Venables. Btw. Makes sense now that the boys in the locker rooms like the ol finger butt plug game that leaked onto the field. It’s obvious who the ring leader was. That’s all some weird stuff.
Wow, just wow!!

Boulware's defense of Wilkins holey pokey on the field was even more weird.

"That kind of stuff annoys me," Boulware said, via Brian Hamilton of SI.com. “The game is so serious and it’s so locked in out there, you try to do stuff just to have fun, to break up the seriousness of the game. People are trying to say ‘sexual assault’ — people that say that have either never played football, have never been in a locker room and seen the weird stuff. We’re together every day for years and years and years. You get very comfortable around each other. I know there’s going to be that one person [who says] ‘Well, I played football and I never did that.’ You either sucked at football, you had no friends in the locker room, or you were the person that went in the bathroom stall to go change because you were scared to shower with the team.

“We do that stuff just to have fun out there, just to mess with the team. I know none of those players care. . . . .’Do you all practice this at Clemson?’ No, we practice beating y’all by 49 points. That’s something I did on the side.

“It’s annoying, because the players don’t care. . . . .That’s for the media to blow that up. Yes, Christian went — he went about four fingers deep. He went a little too far. But when I’m messing with somebody, poking them in the belly button or grabbing someone’s butt, it’s just to break up the seriousness of the game. The people who are freaking out about that have never played the game, or were just losers who didn’t have any friends when they played the game. It’s annoying.”

Via TheState.com, Boulware added this gem: “Me and Christian have fun out there. That’s how we play the game. . . . It’s something we do, just have fun. It might look weird or homosexual to others, but it’s just fun out there.”

Whatever, dude. You do you.

As much as it pains me to say, the certain coach in the upstate made his career out of signing generational talents at QB and 5 star lineman.

Comparing our situations just shows you're not arguing in good faith.
Point is, they had several key contributors to those NC playoffs that weren’t highly regarded coming out of high school. Beamer can do the same

Point is, they had several key contributors to those NC playoffs that weren’t highly regarded coming out of high school. Beamer can do the same

I don't think anyone is doubting some of these kids will contribute. But they're not going to carry the team like you're implying.

Middle of the pack. I believe that's pretty much the historic landing spot.
Every coach has a plateau. Some plateaus are higher then others. It took Nick Saban several years to reach his plateau at Alabama, but once he did, we discovered that his plateau was considerably higher than most.
We don't yet know where Shane Beamer's plateau is, but I an pretty sure he hasn't reached it yet.

Enjoy the ride!!!

Reactions: hillstosea
ADVERTISEMENT