ADVERTISEMENT

Don't really understand the anti-Texas sentiment

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Lots of posts expressing strong dislike for Texas and that being the reason some folks are against their move into the SEC. I neither dislike or am a fan of the Horns. They do have some cool football traditions that are SEC-like. I think UT/OU is a done deal and is happening. Would be surprised if it stops at a 16-team SEC.

First, I know football is king in the SEC but if you look at all sports competition in the league, the SEC is also really strong. I think the league places strong importance on non-football sports and likes its members to have a strong athletic program across the board. It follows the whole "It Just Means More" mantra of the league.

Looking at it though that lense.....adding Texas is a no-brainer. They just finished #1 in the NACDA Directors Cup all sports competition for 20/21 and are perennially in the top 5. They won 3 national titles this year and finished runner up in another sport. This year in big three final rankings they finished #2 in baseball, #9 in mens basketball and #19 in football.......light years ahead of our current situation and I am sure very strong in comparison to any other current SEC school. That combined with being an AAU university and having a very strong national brand for TV audiences, again its a no-brainer. Anyone who has spent time in TX knows they are the power-broker in the state.

Check out the banner graphic on the article linked below. Foreshadowing?

Dunno....just seems they significantly lower their chances of winning titles with this move.
And they increase their chances of getting knocked around if they aren't careful.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I just think most people view Texas as arrogant and view them as responsible for causing other former conference mates to find being in a league with them so undesirable that they just had to get out. I still think most of those people foolishly want this expansion to happen, because they think the SEC can reign in Texas' ostensible hubris.

I think Texas and OU to the SEC whether we like it or not. 4 pods
1. USC with UGA, Florida and Kentucky
2. Bama, Auburn, Tennessee and Vandy
3. Ole Miss, Miss St, Missouri and LSU
4. Texas, A&M, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

If the rumor about a "super conference" happens, then who knows?

Reactions: redrogers

I fully expect A&M to get thrown a bone and be moved to pod 3 with LSU and away from OU, Texas. Most likely Missouri moving to pod 4. Arkansas is embracing the move, for recruiting, it wants games in Texas.

I strongly dislike Texas. but i do not oppose Texas entering the SEC. I kind of like the idea of South Carolina playing a football game at Austin.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
For me, it's not so much anti-Texas sentiment, but down the road could there be a case of buyers regret.
Right now it's a big splash, but so many questions to be answered.

They think BBQ is beef.
Yes, they do. Now while it isn’t real BBQ (can we all agree that BBQ is pork even if it is mustard or vinegar based), it does stand in its on merit and is delicious. Franklin’s in Austin is as good in its lane of brisket and beef ribs as Dreamland in Tuscaloosa with pork BBQ ribs or Country Cousins in Scranton, SC is with pork BBQ or Dukes in Oburg is with Liverhash.

Reactions: Jbouton2
I've been a lot of times - it would easily be in the top 3 of SEC cities. Such a cool place. In no particular order, in that scenario it would be: Athens, Austin and Nashville.
Austin would be an absolute top tier SEC road trip. It would also replace Nashville as the largest city home to an SEC university.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
Yes, they do. Now while it isn’t real BBQ (can we all agree that BBQ is pork even if it is mustard or vinegar based), it does stand in its on merit and is delicious. Franklin’s in Austin is as good in its lane of brisket and beef ribs as Dreamland in Tuscaloosa with pork BBQ ribs or Country Cousins in Scranton, SC is with pork BBQ or Dukes in Oburg is with Liverhash.
I totally agree, just was nudging Rfootball. I was a certified BBQ judge for almost a decade. I rarely judged at an event with Brisket but when I did, oh my.

I've been a lot of times - it would easily be in the top 3 of SEC cities. Such a cool place. In no particular order, in that scenario it would be: Athens, Austin and Nashville.

Athens, really? There are really only 4 SEC schools in metropolitan areas, SC, Vandy, Tennessee and LSU. The remainder are in college towns. Athen is the sixth largest metro area in Georgia. That means they are behind Columbus, Macon, Savannah, Disgusta, and Atlanta goes without saying.

Athens, really? There are really only 4 SEC schools in metropolitan areas, SC, Vandy, Tennessee and LSU. The remainder are in college towns. Athen is the sixth largest metro area in Georgia. That means they are behind Columbus, Macon, Savannah, Disgusta, and Atlanta goes without saying.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Athens might be the best college town in the country. Perfect size, great downtown area with lots of legit bars and restaurants that are all walkable before or after a game. The whole set up is perfect.

I fully expect A&M to get thrown a bone and be moved to pod 3 with LSU and away from OU, Texas. Most likely Missouri moving to pod 4. Arkansas is embracing the move, for recruiting, it wants games in Texas.
WOW!!! Now that one is back at myself to be honest there Battle - I had forgotten all about the old South West Conference!!

Central Texas BBQ is beef brisket, cooked over premium wood like pecan, hickory or post oak. It gives you the flavor of the meat and the wood. It is very distinct from that sugary stuff in Kansas City or the vinegar pork y'all eat. Just completely different food.

Central Texas BBQ is beef brisket, cooked over premium wood like pecan, hickory or post oak. It gives you the flavor of the meat and the wood. It is very distinct from that sugary stuff in Kansas City or the vinegar pork y'all eat. Just completely different food.
A well cooked Brisket is manna from the Gods.

They got the Big XII to institute a "Horns Down" penalty because it hurts their feelings. And you wonder why people dislike them?
Not sure that TX was actually behind it and there is lots of confusion about what the Big 12 has actually said. It looks like it came from regular meetings of Big 12 officials and rules committees where it was determined, in some cases, it is the same as any other celebration that brings a celebration penalty.

This article is helpful........

Mizzou and A&M will swap places to placate A&M for SEC breaking the gentleman agreement

Everything Texas has touched in my lifetime has gone to hell. First the SWC and now the Big 12. Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Mizzou all left the Big 12 in part or in total because of Texas arrogance. They are the southwestern equivalent of the wine and cheese assholes in Chapel Hill.

Everything Texas has touched in my lifetime has gone to hell. First the SWC and now the Big 12. Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Mizzou all left the Big 12 in part or in total because of Texas arrogance. They are the southwestern equivalent of the wine and cheese assholes in Chapel Hill.
^^^^ this. I have multiple TX and aTm acquaintances through work. I tend to side with the aTm folks.
TX single handedly destroyed their conference, now they want to join the SEC. They will not and have not changed, they will try and exert their influence on the SEC. The conference will come to regret this move.

Looking at it though that lense.....adding Texas is a no-brainer.....

Read this with a minny mouse high voice:

" I Think Texas is a nice school they have a pretty logo on their helmets and there's always low humidity in Texas and they love their high school football and everything is big in Texas.

Looking at it though that lense.....adding Texas is a no-brainer..... "

Yeah that's real sweet Matilda, but no one is going to "look at it" through such a opaque, myopic lens as you suppose. Texas has already destroyed a major conference in the SWAC and looks to be about to destroy another in the B-12. Texas has ALWAYS run ramshod over their other conference members due to their size and revenue generation, and has never expected to have it any other way. They have shown NOTHING that indicates that they won't try to do the same thing with the SEC should they join, and the powers of our conference will struggle to keep them from doing it.

And THAT's why the other conferences they were in have failed - not so much that they laid down and died instantly, but that they expended such major energy and effort and focus on trying to fight against Texas just OWNING them, instead of focusing on being a stronger, more successful conference overall. Texas is a conference parasite - it will suck the life force out of EVERY conference it is a part of, because it simply feels it can get away with it.

Try those lens on for size.......

It’s a liberal cess pool. I hate Austin!
The local politicians are extremely liberal, but the city itself is beautiful along the Colorado River, with great restaurants, things to do, amazing campus and historical sites and museums. Not to mention it is the Live Music Capital of the World. Jerry Jeff Walker died last year, but lived two streets over from me. Willie Nelson left Nashville and moved to Austin in 1972. Ray Wylie Hubbard, Waylon Jennings, Janice Joplin and Stevie Ray Vaughn are all Austin legends.

Reactions: Carolina Doc
Read this with a minny mouse high voice:

" I Think Texas is a nice school they have a pretty logo on their helmets and there's always low humidity in Texas and they love their high school football and everything is big in Texas.

Looking at it though that lense.....adding Texas is a no-brainer..... "

Yeah that's real sweet Matilda, but no one is going to "look at it" through such a opaque, myopic lens as you suppose. Texas has already destroyed a major conference in the SWAC and looks to be about to destroy another in the B-12. Texas has ALWAYS run ramshod over their other conference members due to their size and revenue generation, and has never expected to have it any other way. They have shown NOTHING that indicates that they won't try to do the same thing with the SEC should they join, and the powers of our conference will struggle to keep them from doing it.

And THAT's why the other conferences they were in have failed - not so much that they laid down and died instantly, but that they expended such major energy and effort and focus on trying to fight against Texas just OWNING them, instead of focusing on being a stronger, more successful conference overall. Texas is a conference parasite - it will suck the life force out of EVERY conference it is a part of, because it simply feels it can get away with it.

Try those lens on for size.......

If you knew more than an inch deep on the subject, you would know the Southwest Conference was not viable by the time it broke up. It had a bunch of huge schools (Texas and A&M have both topped 54,000 students on campus) and a bunch of tiny schools like SMU and Rice. Rice has always had about 4,000 students, then and now. In fact, Texas had more students on campus than Rice had as alumni in its 100+ year history. Let that sink in. The athletic budgets were equally dissimilar. That just couldn't go on, you can't blame Texas.

That was 1993-1994 and Texas had a deal to go to the Pac-10 (our faculty love Cal Berkeley and Stanford) and A&M had a deal to go to the SEC. But at the time there was a powerful Lt Governor who was from TxTech, the strongwilled Governor was from Baylor and several other important legislators the same. They basically held a legislative gun to Texas and A&M's head and under threat of zeroing their budgets made them abandon their plans and form the Big 12. Neither A&M nor Texas ever wanted to be there. Politicians come and go, and years later A&M snuck away and now Texas is as well. The Big 12 was always like Andre the Giant and a bunch of midgets, so of course Texas did what it wanted to. On any decision Texas had 6 or 7 votes that would say "whatever Texas wants to do". Frustrating to Nebraska and Missouri, sure, but we never wanted to be here. I don't know why you would be scared Texas could do the same in the SEC. It isn't full of midgets, it has plenty of Hulk Hogans and other large creatures to keep Andre in check. Texas won't have six or seven "whatever Texas wants" acolyte votes to cast. So whether Texas tries what you fear or not, it obviously won't fly in a big boy conference with large powerful schools like the SEC.

If you knew more than an inch deep on the subject, you would know the Southwest Conference was not viable by the time it broke up. It had a bunch of huge schools (Texas and A&M have both topped 54,000 students on campus) and a bunch of tiny schools like SMU and Rice. Rice has always had about 4,000 students, then and now. In fact, Texas had more students on campus than Rice had as alumni in its 100+ year history. Let that sink in. The athletic budgets were equally dissimilar. That just couldn't go on, you can't blame Texas.

That was 1993-1994 and Texas had a deal to go to the Pac-10 (our faculty love Cal Berkeley and Stanford) and A&M had a deal to go to the SEC. But at the time there was a powerful Lt Governor who was from TxTech, the strongwilled Governor was from Baylor and several other important legislators the same. They basically held a legislative gun to Texas and A&M's head and under threat of zeroing their budgets made them abandon their plans and form the Big 12. Neither A&M nor Texas ever wanted to be there. Politicians come and go, and years later A&M snuck away and now Texas is as well. The Big 12 was always like Andre the Giant and a bunch of midgets, so of course Texas did what it wanted to. On any decision Texas had 6 or 7 votes that would say "whatever Texas wants to do". Frustrating to Nebraska and Missouri, sure, but we never wanted to be here. I don't know why you would be scared Texas could do the same in the SEC. It isn't full of midgets, it has plenty of Hulk Hogans and other large creatures to keep Andre in check. Texas won't have six or seven "whatever Texas wants" acolyte votes to cast. So whether Texas tries what you fear or not, it obviously won't fly in a big boy conference with large powerful schools like the SEC.
I'm seeing a lot of Texas posters use the word 'scared' a lot. Why not try the liberal tactic and just start calling these people Texasphobes? :)

I think what you are missing is that why should the other teams start to get ready to 'keep Texas in check'? What kind of healthy relationship is that if you go into it knowingly that there will be big problems? The SEC has thrived purely because everyone is keeping each other's best interest at heart.

Regardless of the history of the Southwest conference. It's a known fact that the Texas Longhorn network play rubbed a lot of the Big 12 members the wrong way.

You can't fault Texas trying to make their money but it does show how quickly they are to go about any decisions only worrying about their own self interest.

How long will it take for Texas to start claiming Vanderbilt or another school who's football team isn't doing well doesn't deserve equal share of the money coming in from the TV deals?

UT vs USC.
Hook em horns and Spurs up
hand signals everywhere!

Would the OP be ok with Texas coming here and keeping the Longhorns network all to themselves? They think they're above everybody else. Will they try to take over the SEC? Maybe not now but 10, 15, 20 years from now. They will be a pain in the SEC ass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT