ADVERTISEMENT

DOWN GOES UT DOWN GOES UT

It's perfect karma for the Tennessee fanbase (as if they shouldn't be full to over-bursting from their extra shares of karma with their athletics lately): they were talking a lot of smack about Dawn Staley canceling the Connecticut game to make room for the Ole Miss game last night - saying that we were "scared" of playing CT - as if we hadn't already played them earlier in the season on a neutral court, and when they were much healthier than they would be this week, and we beat them decisively.

It was almost like the Lady Vols fanbase were ANGRY that Dawn was trying to level up the playing field in conference play, while they were currently alone at the top of the standings. Like they didn't want to play it out fair and square.

And then they go and lose to the worst team in the SEC......

It's kinda funny that all in one night all of our closest competitors for the SEC title (Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss)and our biggest haters this season ( LSU, Missouri, Tennessee) all lost.

Reactions: Forever Fowl
HAHAHA. Always be respectful - it's too easy to get slapped in the face by an opponent you least expect. That's what conference play is all about.

Aw hell naw! I just saw that Vandy beat Kentucky. They're sure screwing Howard over in her last year there.

Last edited:
Tennesse is a "South Carolina wanna be". Sorry those days that Pat Summit are over. There is a new sheriff in town and we will not lose a gunfight to a bunch of 'hillbillies". Just the way it is. We will have the showdown with those teethless hillbillies February 20th. No matter how you put it "Tennessee sucks" and they always will.

Tennesse is a "South Carolina wanna be". Sorry those days that Pat Summit are over. There is a new sheriff in town and we will not lose a gunfight to a bunch of 'hillbillies". Just the way it is. We will have the showdown with those teethless hillbillies February 20th. No matter how you put it "Tennessee sucks" and they always will

It's perfect karma for the Tennessee fanbase (as if they shouldn't be full to over-bursting from their extra shares of karma with their athletics lately): they were talking a lot of smack about Dawn Staley canceling the Connecticut game to make room for the Ole Miss game last night - saying that we were "scared" of playing CT - as if we hadn't already played them earlier in the season on a neutral court, and when they were much healthier than they would be this week, and we beat them decisively.

It was almost like the Lady Vols fanbase were ANGRY that Dawn was trying to level up the playing field in conference play, while they were currently alone at the top of the standings. Like they didn't want to play it out fair and square.

And then they go and lose to the worst team in the SEC......
Not almost like they were angry. They were angry. They don't expect to beat us but thought they could sneak through the back door and claim a regular season championship by playing one more conference game than us cause we had one canceled due to covid. They are so desperate to be relevant again that they would claim a tainted championship.

Besides we have already beaten Uconn this year and they can beat Uconn themselves this year instead of living vicariously thru us. I will of course be pulling for Uconn that night.

IMO Geno and Dawn will do their best to reschedule that game. It may take a few years (think the football home-and-homes with NCSU 1991 & 1999, and with UnCarolina 2007 & 2013), but I believe it will happen.

I've spent a little time on the Lady Vols forum and it's amazing how many posts still mention Pat Summit and championships won years ago. While some make fun of Aja's statue most love to disparage our #1 banner.

These days they enjoy a Lady G defeat just as much as a UConn loss. While they hate on Dawn she would be their top choice to replace Kellie.

Some Lady Vols fans projected a win in Columbia but the Auburn loss seems to have brought them back to earth. I thought they looked slow in that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: gamecockblack
IMO Geno and Dawn will do their best to reschedule that game. It may take a few years (think the football home-and-homes with NCSU 1991 & 1999, and with UnCarolina 2007 & 2013), but I believe it will happen.
Already contracted to play them the next two years.

as long as Geno stays in coaching, we will play an annual game. Coaches love it, players love it, fans love it, gate receipts love, tv loves it, our conference loves it, etc

the only question is: did we lose our home rotation or will Geno agree to alter that and let us have next year? I wouldn’t - unless I was more active in seeking the cancellation than has been disclosed. Geno may have wanted the cancellation as much or more than Dawn.

as long as Geno stays in coaching, we will play an annual game. Coaches love it, players love it, fans love it, gate receipts love, tv loves it, our conference loves it, etc

the only question is: did we lose our home rotation or will Geno agree to alter that and let us have next year? I wouldn’t - unless I was more active in seeking the cancellation than has been disclosed. Geno may have wanted the cancellation as much or more than Dawn.
I think he probably did. They need to make up some conference games as well.

Geno definitely wanted this game cancelled. A lopsided win by us ensures UConn plummets out of the top 10 and they would need a strong performance against Tennesee stay in the top 16 and maintain a top 4 seed. So now, even with a disappointing performance against Tennessee, I don't see them dropping below a 4 seed unless they somehow lose a Big East game.

Maybe this game will be made up during the 2025 season, then the two schools can sign a two-year home-and-home for 2026-2027. Or postpone the new contract a year.

Details which I'm certain the two schools will work out to everyone's satisfaction.

Last edited:
Maybe this game will be made up during the 2025 season, then the two schools can sign a two-year home-and-home for 2026-2027. Or postpone the new contact a year.

Details which I'm certain the two schools will work out to everyone's satisfaction.
Can’t.

teams are only allowed to play 1 game against an OOC team per year UNLESS they meet in the championship game of tournament like this year.

Dropped by Florida....and Vol Nation forum is going crazy

Only one Vol in double figs. o_O4 Gators in double figs

I honestly think The Gators former coach was holding them back. Has the new coach been appointed or is she still interim? Give this woman her job!!

Charlie Creme has Fl on the bubble. I hope they get in the tourney.

Last edited:
It's kinda funny that all in one night all of our closest competitors for the SEC title (Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss)and our biggest haters this season ( LSU, Missouri, Tennessee) all lost.

Everybody keeps leaving out Georgia, who is in a 4 way tie with Tenn, Lsu, Ole Miss for 3rd place. Plus, we have to go to Athens to play them.

We will have to e on top of our game when we go there....

Horston, Burrell, and Walker combined for 2 assists and 15 turnovers(!!!) That will kill a team's chances everytime, no matter who they are playing. That is why I grind my teeth at our own Gamecocks' problems with turnovers - it drives me crazy when they force them for no good reason......

Reactions: winloseortie
Someone on the Lady Vols forum posted "South Carolina is the new Tennessee".

I almost replied, "not true as we still have all our teeth".

Are you staying on this site or moving over? Or perhaps both.....

You are one of the best (if not the best) posters when it comes to wbb.
Probably both but come on over, water is fine. It’s still 1$ for a year. Over there I AM TRYING TO NOT BE THE ACERBIC A$$HOLE TO TROLLS. That I tend to be

Reactions: uscedge21
Horston, Burrell, and Walker combined for 2 assists and 15 turnovers(!!!) That will kill a team's chances everytime, no matter who they are playing. That is why I grind my teeth at our own Gamecocks' problems with turnovers - it drives me crazy when they force them for no good reason......
For the 4th year in a row UT does not have a PG. How does that happen?

Everybody keeps leaving out Georgia, who is in a 4 way tie with Tenn, Lsu, Ole Miss for 3rd place. Plus, we have to go to Athens to play them.

Early prediction on our annual rock fight with Joni’s Dawgs. We win 54-39. Neither team shoots over 35%, 60 combined fouls, 3 bloody noses, UGLY Game meter at 10+

UGA has to play Florida and LSU before they play us. Coombs went down with an ankle injury last night. Hopefully nothing too serious, but I imagine she might be out at least for a game or two. So challenging road ahead for them. I like them, though. If they can find a 3rd consistent scorer, they could make a deep run in the tournament.

That's the same question that's floating around Vol nation.

It's weird because that was Harper's position - you'd thing that would be a priority for her.
If you were a top notch PG out of HS who wanted to play in the SEC, play for championships and later play in the WNBA who would you choose to play for... Dawn Staley or Kellie Harper?

If you were a top notch PG out of HS who wanted to play in the SEC, play for championships and later play in the WNBA who would you choose to play for... Dawn Staley or Kellie Harper?
I get what you are saying but DS isn’t signing ALL the 5* PGs. For a perennial power with an iconic pedigree to only sign 1 PG in a 4 year period? She was a 3 star to boot.

Reactions: GarnetGhost
Who you got tomorrow UT vs. UCONN? Both teams have looked very shaky as of late. I think it comes down to who can stay out of early foul trouble. Ono or Key. I give the edge to UCONN for a couple of reasons. It's in Storrs and UT has looked terrible since that loss to Auburn. They were lucky to beat ARKY in OT at home and got totally owned by Florida. Granted, Florida is looking very good but that was an ole fashion beatdown.

Who you got tomorrow UT vs. UCONN? Both teams have looked very shaky as of late. I think it comes down to who can stay out of early foul trouble. Ono or Key. I give the edge to UCONN for a couple of reasons. It's in Storrs and UT has looked terrible since that loss to Auburn. They were lucky to beat ARKY in OT at home and got totally owned by Florida. Granted, Florida is looking very good but that was an ole fashion beatdown.

I want UT to win because it pushes UConn down to a 4 seed. They will not be in our region .

Toss up. Geno may be sandbagging about Bueckers. He did it for our cancelled game. Bueckers plays UCONN wins.

I agree with you. UConn wins. UT just can’t hang onto the ball and UConn matches their size. Even if Nelson-Ododa gets in foul trouble Juhaz can pick up enough of the slack. Key gets in trouble and......... Emily Sanders???

Reactions: Gamekem
Tennessee has been spiraling down ever since the Green injury. The only hope I can see for them is that getting blown out by Florida could be a wakeup call to step up their game. The two key stats are rebounding and turnovers. UConn has struggled against teams that outrebound them and Tennessee is the best rebounding team in the nation. Tennessee is a huge turnover team and UConn will absolutely take advantage of those mistakes for easy transition point. As much as I want Tennessee to win this one, I think this is UConn's game to lose.

I think we are clearly better than UT now as a program. That's not even a debate. No one would question that.

But we do need to knock out another National Title or two to get the overall program respect historically speaking. That's a tall task obviously. Winning a title is HARD, HARD, HARD work- with a bit of luck tossed in.

I think it's harder to win a title now than when Tennessee was doing it regularly. A lot more programs putting money into women's basketball now than 20 years ago.

I have plenty of confidence that will occur.

I can see the possible benefits to us if TN pulls this one out. Of course if we take care of our own business we will need no favors from anyone. I once had a lot of respect for the TN program and would pull for them except against us. However, while I still respect the program I cannot abide the fans. A large number have no respect for our program. They snicker about the banner and Aja's statue. I realize a lot of it is jealousy but it still bothers me so at Noon tomorrow I will be a Huskie fan. Go Uconn!

I can see the possible benefits to us if TN pulls this one out. Of course if we take care of our own business we will need no favors from anyone. I once had a lot of respect for the TN program and would pull for them except against us. However, while I still respect the program I cannot abide the fans. A large number have no respect for our program. They snicker about the banner and Aja's statue. I realize a lot of it is jealousy but it still bothers me so at Noon tomorrow I will be a Huskie fan. Go Uconn!

Hearing the UCONN freshman is out today. Not Fudd, the other one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT