ADVERTISEMENT

Dumbest thing you’ve blown money on .

BobbyBReloaded1975

Oct 26, 2019
By far my vices are fishing gear and musical equipment . I’ve got lures that I’ve had for years that I never taken out of the box and reels that I bought on a whim that I never even spooled . I’ve got effects pedals that I’ll buy for $200 bucks a piece , play thru then a few times and never use them again . Literally have 2 boxes of discarded pedals . I thought I was bad but I have buddy’s that are golfers and car guys and they said it’s WAY worse .

By far my vices are fishing gear and musical equipment . I’ve got lures that I’ve had for years that I never taken out of the box and reels that I bought on a whim that I never even spooled . I’ve got effects pedals that I’ll buy for $200 bucks a piece , play thru then a few times and never use them again . Literally have 2 boxes of discarded pedals . I thought I was bad but I have buddy’s that are golfers and car guys and they said it’s WAY worse .

A boat. LOL. The more I used it the less I liked going to the lake and competing with other boaters for dinks. To make matters worse I traded a '66 Mustang that needed a front end rebuild and some seats for it because I didn't have money at the time. I practically gave it away last fall. It had a blown head gasket. I know the guy I sold it to and it hasn't moved from the same spot in his yard. I use one of my 2 kayaks or walk ponds now.

I also have a fishing lure problem. I've got containers full of soft plastics and lures in the box. My family says I like the tackle more than the fish. I did go through some of my combos a while back because my dad died and I didn't want to get rid of his stuff. I had to make some room. I gave my crappie combos to my fishing buddy. That way I get to use them every so often. I traded my Driftmaster rod holders to him for a trolling motor that I sold on the aforementioned boat.

We had to move stuff out of our house into a container while we were remodeling. Almost everything I carried in and out made me wonder what I/she/we were thinking when we spent money on it.

Last edited:
Too many sports "collectibles" to mention. Boxes of them. Things you think are collectible when you're a kid/teen.

Reactions: TheReelEss

If someone comes in and steals all my tackle tonight I would go and buy 10% of what I have now and will still catch the same number of fish. It’s amazing how we stockpile tackle and yet only use a fraction of it.

If someone comes in and steals all my tackle tonight I would go and buy 10% of what I have now and will still catch the same number of fish. It’s amazing how we stockpile tackle and yet only use a fraction of it.
I could take a 10 minute stroll through Academy and refill everything I regularly catch fish on.

I bought a Mossberg Shockwave shotgun a while back just because I thought it was cool, but it’s so damn impractical because you fire it from the waist and there’s no chance of hitting anything beyond 5 yards. It would still probably serve the purpose for home defense, but I can’t take it to any indoor ranges so I don’t get many chances to use it. My wife definitely thinks it was a waste of money, and I’m kind of inclined to agree now.

It was fishing gear at first with me, then baseball cards, then Golf, and now Disc Golf.... I wish I was normal like everyone else and spend it on Women, but my Ex took half my money so I guess I did waist my money on that.

I bought a Mossberg Shockwave shotgun a while back just because I thought it was cool, but it’s so damn impractical because you fire it from the waist and there’s no chance of hitting anything beyond 5 yards. It would still probably serve the purpose for home defense, but I can’t take it to any indoor ranges so I don’t get many chances to use it. My wife definitely thinks it was a waste of money, and I’m kind of inclined to agree now.
I think you're winning so far. I mean, I could probably catch fish off the 90% of the lures I don't use. So they are useful. Can you put a real shoulder stock on that bad boy? I've always wanted to buy a shorter barrel and mag extension for my 870, but it just feels like a waste when I have multiple handguns and rifles at my disposal. I never shoot it now.

Them old poker machines. You put money in a poker machine, you never win. The owners made so much money before they outlawed them..

My first inclination is to say LEGOs. Thousands of dollars worth of LEGO kits. I'm sure other parents can agree. I think LEGO is second only to Disney in its ability to extract lots of money from kids and parents for relatively little in return. My now 13 year old son would probably agree with me at this point since he has finally outgrown the LEGO phase. lol. But, honestly, those kits brought him a lot of enjoyment when he was younger, so I'd probably buy them all over again.

I've spent lots of money over the years on motorcycles, guns/hunting, snow skiing, and other hobbies, but I hate to say that when I think about "blown" money, my mind goes to certain Gamecock football weekend road trips. I'd love to have those thousands of dollars back.

Wayne Huizenga, founder of Blockbuster Video and owner of the Dolphins, Marlins and Panthers, said he had the idea to start his other wildly successful business, Waste Management, because it dawned on him one day that everything ends up in the trash. No matter how precious it is, give it enough time and it becomes trash. Might take a year or 500 years, but it becomes trash.

But don't you have some naive buddy you can convince that Mossberg is cool? Go out in the woods, shoot some drink cans, and "unload" that thing on the next sucker. haha

But don't you have some naive buddy you can convince that Mossberg is cool? Go out in the woods, shoot some drink cans, and "unload" that thing on the next sucker. haha
That's the problem...I would have to actually hit the cans. I am not confident that it would happen haha

I think you're winning so far. I mean, I could probably catch fish off the 90% of the lures I don't use. So they are useful. Can you put a real shoulder stock on that bad boy? I've always wanted to buy a shorter barrel and mag extension for my 870, but it just feels like a waste when I have multiple handguns and rifles at my disposal. I never shoot it now.
I've definitely thought about it, but for that amount of money, I could almost get a real shotgun.

A boat. LOL. The more I used it the less I liked going to the lake and competing with other boaters for dinks. To make matters worse I traded a '66 Mustang that needed a front end rebuild and some seats for it because I didn't have money at the time. I practically gave it away last fall. It had a blown head gasket. I know the guy I sold it to and it hasn't moved from the same spot in his yard. I use one of my 2 kayaks or walk ponds now.

I also have a fishing lure problem. I've got containers full of soft plastics and lures in the box. My family says I like the tackle more than the fish. I did go through some of my combos a while back because my dad died and I didn't want to get rid of his stuff. I had to make some room. I gave my crappie combos to my fishing buddy. That way I get to use them every so often. I traded my Driftmaster rod holders to him for a rolling motor that I sold on the aforementioned boat.

We had to move stuff out of our house into a container while we were remodeling. Almost everything I carried in and out made me wonder what I/she/we were thinking when we spent money on it.

Best thing I ever did was trade in my 24 foot bay boat and bought two Hobie Pro anglers . Caught 10 times more fish and had way more fun and I don’t spend thousands a year on maintenance. Yeah I recently did a tackle inventory and the amount of stuff I have that I will never use is astounding .

I've definitely thought about it, but for that amount of money, I could almost get a real shotgun.
Same with the 870. I could buy a home defense Mossberg for the cost of an 870 barrel. Also, the 870 was a Christmas gift when i was bout 16 so it means a lot more than any home defense shotty would.

Best thing I ever did was trade in my 24 foot bay boat and bought two Hobie Pro anglers . Caught 10 times more fish and had way more fun and I don’t spend thousands a year on maintenance. Yeah I recently did a tackle inventory and the amount of stuff I have that I will never use is astounding .
My first kayak that I still have is a somewhat cheap Perception Sport Pescador (the old Wilderness Tarpon mold). I bought a Feelfree Lure 13.5 about a year ago and it is a step up. It's stable enough to walk on and the seat is way more comfy. It needed a rudder kit which costs $300 new. So I found a used stern mount saltwater 35 lb thrust motor kit and battery for $300. 9 out of 10 times, I still use the old cheap one because it weighs about half and there's no setup and take-down when I get to the destination.

It was fishing gear at first with me, then baseball cards, then Golf, and now Disc Golf.... I wish I was normal like everyone else and spend it on Women, but my Ex took half my money so I guess I did waist my money on that.
My father in-law probably had over 100 discs. He loved to collect them. That's where most of my discs came from.

Reactions: yesiam#
AR-15. I bought it years ago when I was afraid Obama was going to take guns away. I haven't shot it or the .45 acp that came with it.

After reading the response Disney, I must amend my answer to Universal Orlando. That felt like continuously burning $100 bills for 48 hours. I'm only glad it wasn't longer. I wanted a FL fishing trip for my 50th birthday gift and got 2 days in Disney and 2 in Universal in the bargain. It felt like a net loss.

Last edited:
OMG, definitely fishing equipment. I would buy fishing rods from BPS when on sale whether I needed them or not. I now have at least 6 rods that still have the tags on them. I know all fishermen will relate to these next statements. When I buy lures, I MUST buy multiples of the same lure. I MUST buy at least one in many different colors and sizes. If I have caught fish on a certain lure, I MUST buy multIples of that lure. Why? Because I might loose one while out on the lake catching fish and MUST have replacements.

Now, because of health problems, I hardly ever get to go anymore. I have tons of brand new, in the package, lures and packs of worms or lizards. I the boat, I carry hundreds of lures, worms, lizards, jigs, spinnerbaits, and buzz baits. Remember, you can only fish with one at a time. Of course, next time I get to go fishing, I will DEFINITELY catch a huge fish on one of them!

BTW, I always catch my limit of huge fish, fishermen never lie!!

AR-15. I bought it years ago when I was afraid Obama was going to take guns away. I haven't shot it or the .45 acp that came with it.
I bought one second hand that had only been "shot enough times to get the scope sighted in". I don't believe him because it was not sighted in. But I bartered for it. A Browning Buckmark pistol and a few bucks.

For a while I was buying every new piece of dive gear accessory I could get my hands on.
Just about anything to hang on the C rings of my BC.

I then decided I was starting to resemble a Christmas tree. I now stick to just 2 to 3 items at most depending on the dive, and try to keep them in the pockets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT