ADVERTISEMENT

Erskine to resume playing football in 2020

Shapleigh ‘Shap’ Boyd as the Flying Fleet’s first football coach since 1951.

Boyd was the Defensive Coordinator and Safeties Coach at the University of Virginia at Wise for the last three seasons.

Boyd is a 1985 graduate of the University of the South, where he was a member of the football team, and he earned his master’s degree in 1987 from Middle Tennessee State University.

They can't keep up in anything but soccer, sometimes baseball, have no facilities, have financial woes. Going to be a challenge for Erskine.

Reactions: Cybercock
I doubt this happens. School is currently in a financial crisis and fighting to keep their accreditation.

I doubt this happens. School is currently in a financial crisis and fighting to keep their accreditation.
I've read the stories. They even eliminated a couple of departments. They seem to be intent on football. Are you saying they will fail to launch?

If so, that's a real shame. Imo, it has one of the prettiest campuses in the state. So manicured. It could pass for a Hollywood film set.
Agree that the campus is picturesque. Had a daughter go there. Her major was eliminated. I cannot fathom that they want a football program in the midst of scraping for survival as an institution of higher learning. They should focus on academics, imho.

I've read the stories. They even eliminated a couple of departments. They seem to be intent on football. Are you saying they will fail to launch?
I’m guessing they’ll never launch. Or maybe this is the Hail Mary (yes, pun intended), to save the school from closing.

I’m guessing they’ll never launch. Or maybe this is the Hail Mary (yes, pun intended), to save the school from closing.
I find it unlikely that they would expect football to be a moneymaker anytime soon. Usually football is something schools drop when under financial duress.

Some schools see a football program to ramp up applications and overall school profile. Limestone and Allen have added football recently. I think I've seen rumors - perhaps wishful thinking - about Francis Marion & Lander as well.

Sometimes you can get a good feel for a university by looking at the records of some of their non-revenue sports. Their men's tennis team was like 2-20 last year. It seems like they have other stuff needs addressing first.

Then there's a school like Cal Tech whose basketball teams are just awful, but that only says that athletics probably isn't a priority there.

PC totally mismanaged athletics. Dropped to a non-scholarship league in football, didn't keep Coach Nibert in basketball, Bee Carlton when AD totally screwed up the move to DI which cost them an extra year and broke a promise to a lot of athletes. They are trending downward yet the cost of going there is ridiculous. I think that administration is over it's head in managing athletics. The former AD, Brian Reese, left to take a job at Lander, a non-football school (you think he took a pay cut to get out of there?).

I hope Erskine isn't making a mistake.

Reactions: king ward
Erskine was the first team USC ever played at WBS, formerly Carolina Stadium. A 20-0 win for the Gamecocks.

But don’t be fooled, Erskine has beaten both USC and Clemson in football during their history.

PC totally mismanaged athletics. Dropped to a non-scholarship league in football, didn't keep Coach Nibert in basketball, Bee Carlton when AD totally screwed up the move to DI which cost them an extra year and broke a promise to a lot of athletes. They are trending downward yet the cost of going there is ridiculous. I think that administration is over it's head in managing athletics. The former AD, Brian Reese, left to take a job at Lander, a non-football school (you think he took a pay cut to get out of there?).

I hope Erskine isn't making a mistake.
My niece's alma mater. I wish them the best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT