ADVERTISEMENT

Everybody laugh at Tom Herman

I get the TH hate, really. He is however a very very good coach, and at UT where he will have every advantage a college FB team could dream of, money, facilities, recruiting base, tradition etc., it is only a matter of time. Already UT is sitting at around a top 5 class this year, and that will only get stronger each year. UT can and will outspend any school in investment in their program, their wealth is vastly greater than even Bama, by a lot. UT should never be behind the TCU’s of the world in anything, they simply have those type teams beat in every meaningful measure in CFB. Herman will have his day, and soon.

I get the TH hate, really. He is however a very very good coach, and at UT where he will have every advantage a college FB team could dream of, money, facilities, recruiting base, tradition etc., it is only a matter of time. Already UT is sitting at around a top 5 class this year, and that will only get stronger each year. UT can and will outspend any school in investment in their program, their wealth is vastly greater than even Bama, by a lot. UT should never be behind the TCU’s of the world in anything, they simply have those type teams beat in every meaningful measure in CFB. Herman will have his day, and soon.

Texas has never suffered from lack of talent or money. Their problems reach deeper into the culture surrounding that program.

Reactions: funktavious
Texas has never suffered from lack of talent or money. Their problems reach deeper into the culture surrounding that program.

No. UT has been missing the right staff for quite awhile now. At the end of the Mack Brown era, they literally had their class committed 12 months early each year, that was the strength of their brand. But that was the wrong approach, it didn’t leave room for evaluating players in their senior seasons and the TCU/Baylor/A&M/OK type teams poached the better players in their senior years. Add in the wrong evaluations by new and deficient staffs, underdevelopment ofplayers and wham, a blue blood program hits hard times. It was all coaching failure. You say the culture of the program is the cause, but that is what coaches create. The UT culture away from coaching fiascos is and probably always will be one of the best in CFB. That brand, the Longhorn brand, will not be defeated by a run of bad coaching.

Reactions: idohvac2
No. UT has been missing the right staff for quite awhile now. At the end of the Mack Brown era, they literally had their class committed 12 months early each year, that was the strength of their brand. But that was the wrong approach, it didn’t leave room for evaluating players in their senior seasons and the TCU/Baylor/A&M/OK type teams poached the better players in their senior years. Add in the wrong evaluations by new and deficient staffs, underdevelopment ofplayers and wham, a blue blood program hits hard times. It was all coaching failure. You say the culture of the program is the cause, but that is what coaches create. The UT culture away from coaching fiascos is and probably always will be one of the best in CFB. That brand, the Longhorn brand, will not be defeated by a run of bad coaching.

Hippie Cowboys is not a culture...it is an abomination.

Yeah u got to have the right staff
-Kurt Roper

How did Mac fool them for so long?

Why the H was Texas throwing the ball at the other end of the field on 3rd and two? That interception set up their loss. They had the game all but won. This I'll say. Herman has egg on his face right now. Don't write him off. Dabo once had egg on his face also - more than once. See ya.

He has the second rated recruiting class on the country the last time i looked. Think i would take that over ours eh?

Sitting at 8-3 with a shot at a nye bowl in year 2 or a major rebuild. Champ says let me do my thing and you continue to be a keyboard nerd!
Today will either dampen all that severely or make it that much sweeter.

Yep. He will likely win a national title at UT before all is said and done. He was the brains behind Urban’s title in 2014. Meyer still hasn’t recovered 3 seasons later, and it damn sure isn’t because OSU isn’t recruiting with the very best.

His recruiting class is ranked 5th in the nation. Ours is a laughable 24th. Enjoy YOUR laugh while you can.

Texas has out recruited Texas Tech since the beginning of time. Didn't matter yesterday.

Absolutely. It's the culture that permeates the entire state. They must play flag football instead of tackle in high school. How else can you explain no teams from the state of Texas in last year's final 25 poll or the complete lack of defense in the Big XII?

That being said, Charlie Strong did leave Herman a legitimate defense. Honestly, I'm kind of shocked he only went 6-6 with that personnel in that conference. The Longhorns will get better offensively next year and the years to come, but it will be interesting to see if Herman can maintain the same level of play on the defensive side.

Reactions: cocky4
Sitting at 8-3 with a shot at a nye bowl in year 2 or a major rebuild. Champ says let me do my thing and you continue to be a keyboard nerd!

You can be such a blind follower sometime, it's OK to think for yourself on occasion and have an opinion that differs from the party line. It doesn't make you a bad fan, actually if done objectively it's good for the program. We won in spite of Roper and lost at least one , probably 2 games because of his poor coaching. Thats just the truth. He lowers the ceiling for our program

Reactions: robertfootball
It takes a lot more than rankings to win football games! Just look at Florida!!

9 Times out of 10 the school that recruits the best will beat the school that doesn’t. If the culture is a mess then yes, it will screw anything up. We aren’t recruiting very well at the moment. Have to hope for a stronger finish than where we stand right now.

Reactions: VirgilCaine
Herman should succeed in Austin because UT will always get the cream of the crop in the state (if they want it - keep in mind the 21st century culture in Austin is weird) . . . we'll see.

Herman should succeed in Austin because UT will always get the cream of the crop in the state (if they want it - keep in mind the 21st century culture in Austin is weird) . . . we'll see.

I think it’s just a matter of time. Herman is sort of a weirdo himself but he is a tireless worker it seems.

When are people ever going to realize it does not matter how much money you have. You can not throw money at a program and win. More money does not equal wins.

Reactions: LAST MANGO
This!!! Well said!

All anyone can say for sure is that Texas will never be short on resources. That doesn't mean they're destined to be a perennial national title contender. Just ask Florida and Tennessee.

All anyone can say for sure is that Texas will never be short on resources. That doesn't mean they're destined to be a perennial national title contender. Just ask Florida and Tennessee.

Alabama also shows just because you have the best players, most 5 stars , you can' win every year. Kind of like the Yankees, buy the best but no team chemistry. Clemson had that chemistry last year. We are starting to get it back.

Herman is a good coach and a tireless worker. He needs time to get his players in place and change the culture of entitlement that has swallowed that program. I wouldn't bet against him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT