ADVERTISEMENT

Everyones hero Ellis Johnson said today.....

Well at this point at least, no one has started Doty over a healthy Zeb. If anything, you might say we started Zeb over a healthy (enough) Doty given that Doty wasn’t limping around the field after Zeb got his hand stomped.

Personally I think Zeb’s better on the deep balls, though Doty threw some good ones too versus Georgia, but Zeb throwing in traffic gives me some serious anxiety. Ultimately I’ll support whomever is willing to wear the G&B and give it their all.

Reactions: PC31
Ellis is not an OC, lol. I would put more weight into what Spurrier says about him. I would listen to Ellis if it were the defense.

Now he is an offensive guru?

No kidding…Ellis is about the same offensive guru as Muschamp. Ellis had good defenses for the most part, but he also had stud players. He coached my younger brother…..his opinion on qb is about as good as mine. But I do agree we need to go after top qbs. Ifthey beat Doty out so be it. But after 4 games with 2 of them with two on a gimpy foot, not ready to use word like not and never. He has showed some promise….and should have our support

No kidding…Ellis is about the same offensive guru as Muschamp. Ellis had good defenses for the most part, but he also had stud players. He coached my younger brother…..his opinion on qb is about as good as mine. But I do agree we need to go after top qbs. Ifthey beat Doty out so be it. But after 4 games with 2 of them with two on a gimpy foot, not ready to use word like not and never. He has showed some promise….and should have our support
I'm interested to see what Gauthier can bring to the table.

Reactions: Captain Weegie
Hopefully the foot injury is what's effecting his arm. It's not hard to tell he doesn't have alot of velocity on his ball. We had few catches Saturday night with guys wide open. He floated the passes giving receivers no chance of getting any yac. Hopefully the foot get's better.
Two valid points, DFC.

No doubt, the foot injury is affecting his arm.

He is not getting a lot of velocity on his passes.

Hopefully, he's on the mend.

Go Cocks!

Reactions: PC31
Is everybody aware that legendary coach Lou Holtz went 0-11 one time? I can't remember where it happened. It'll come to me eventually.

It's not whatever I say you have two coaches that have coached at ACC and SEC schools .They have no reason to lie about a kid
QB play is not the problem right now. Doty is fine. Plenty of arm strength and once he is healed, they will help with his footwork. For anyone to saw he is not good and a problem at this point in his career has a agenda. If you have watched the game, he flashes a fair amount. Does he miss some looks, sure, name me a QB that doesn’t.
I also laugh at the Jason Brown is a savior crowd due to a couple of passes in a spring game vs the walk ons. Kid has talent but there is a reason why he is on the bench and was at a low level FCS school. Over time I have no doubt he could be really good, at this point he just isn’t as good as the guys ahead of him.

QB play is not the problem right now. Doty is fine. Plenty of arm strength and once he is healed, they will help with his footwork. For anyone to saw he is not good and a problem at this point in his career has a agenda. If you have watched the game, he flashes a fair amount. Does he miss some looks, sure, name me a QB that doesn’t.
I also laugh at the Jason Brown is a savior crowd due to a couple of passes in a spring game vs the walk ons. Kid has talent but there is a reason why he is on the bench and was at a low level FCS school. Over time I have no doubt he could be really good, at this point he just isn’t as good as the guys ahead of him.
This has nothing to do with Brown but since you brought it up .The announcers said Brown looks like the better passer at the spring game 4 of 5 with two TDs . But do you have an agenda is the question?

This has nothing to do with Brown but since you brought it up .The announcers said Brown looks like the better passer at the spring game 4 of 5 with two TDs . But do you have an agenda is the question?
Against walk ons. I have an agenda, to see Carolina win.

btw pretty sure you brought up brown first

Pretty sure that's a crowd of one. 😏

Doty is not the problem and will be fine.
I agree with this. I don’t think Zeb was the problem either. We all know that blocking/protection is the problem. I heard the tv announcer last week say that Satterfield wants this offense to look like Green Bay’s offense. We all know there is no Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Jones, or Devonte Adams on this roster. But those guys look like they do during a game because they have confidence in their offensive line, and they know the line gives them the opportunity to be successful.
I don’t know how to get this offense operating like it is intended. If I did, I would be running out on the field tomorrow with the team and staff. Instead, I’ll be going to work tomorrow morning and working at making a gas turbine generate electricity. And as always, I’ll be pulling for the Gamecocks!

The announcers said Brown looks like the better passer at the spring game 4 of 5 with two TDs .
EnragedQuarterlyIbadanmalimbe-size_restricted.gif

Where does these rating services get guys who judge talent? It seems every qb SC gets is a top 10 qb only to fall woefully short of expectations. Doty, Hollinski, Bentley all haven't looked like what they were billed out to be. Program or poor recruiting analyst???

I wouldn’t take much stock about what either of them say . I do take stock in what I see with my own two eyes …. Doty is not an SEC QB and if he is the future then the future is gonna suck . Great kid , great athlete , plays hard , great leader just not a very good QB . Yes his WR core and OL are atrocious but I just don’’t see it guys . Great kid but he’s not the guy . I agree I would start Zeb and recruit like hell .
Just curious,are you the guy I heard arguing with Heath on the radio Friday evening? This statement is practically the same as the guy on the radio said. Just thought it was a coincidence as all.

Shaw didn’t pass the “eye test” as a SEC QB when he stepped on campus either. He was a HS WR who moved to QB late, came here, had to learn on the fly. What set him apart was a strong work ethic and a will to win.

Doty was a HS WR, switched to QB. It’s a tad early to be writing him off as a SEC QB, he spent last year ( a Covid year) with limited practice time split between WR and 3rd string QB before starting at the end. And he’s missed several weeks of crucial practice time with his foot injury.

If Doty can get healthy and perform similar (not the same, just similar) to Shaw, we can win games. Manage the offense, make smart throws, and run when needed to extend drives.

I appreciate what EJ did here as DC. Bottom line, he was a pretty good (not great,but pretty good) DC here. If he was critiquing our LB play I’d be inclined to listen.

But quite honestly, IMHO he’s bitter because he’s not relevant anymore. He’s unfortunately like Lawing, sitting at home waiting on the phone to ring with a job offer. For all of Muschamp’s faults, at least he threw EJ a lifeline as an analyst, but he eventually stepped down because he thought he still had it in him to be an onfield coach.

Reactions: bucketdad
Just curious,are you the guy I heard arguing with Heath on the radio Friday evening? This statement is practically the same as the guy on the radio said. Just thought it was a coincidence as all.

Nah . I’ve never listened to his show In my life . Im in Florida . Our local sports talk station hasn’t uttered the words “South Carolina” since the day we hired Muschamp and all they did was make fun of us .

Hero Ellis Johnson had some interesting things to say tonight on Phil Kornbluts radio show. Phil still has the best radio show in the state IMO. He has Ellis and Chuck Reedy on for his "Chalk Talk" segment each week.
Coach Johnson said if Luke Doty is the future at South Carolina, we don't have a future. Said Doty "pushes" the ball in passes over 20 yards and that will not get better. Said he hears that from a lot of people who know what they are talking about. Says he would start Zeb and recruit like hell telling every good QB we recruit that we play a senior and the job is wide open next year. Sign and come start! If you read between the lines it seems like he thinks Shane is making bad decisions. It's always this is stupid that is stupid the other is stupid BUT SHANE IS DOING A PRETTY GOOD JOB.
I have heard Ellis say before that he would start Zeb over Luke.
Reedy agreed that Doty is not the future at Carolina but said he'd play him anyway to try to get 6 wins with his running. Both say Doty will never be a good passer.
I am sure you can go to sportstalksc and hear to segment. It was lively and interesting. Reedy said some choice things about clem too.
Well darn, I guess the Shane Beamer era is now over. Who is on the list?

Hero Ellis Johnson had some interesting things to say tonight on Phil Kornbluts radio show. Phil still has the best radio show in the state IMO. He has Ellis and Chuck Reedy on for his "Chalk Talk" segment each week.
Coach Johnson said if Luke Doty is the future at South Carolina, we don't have a future. Said Doty "pushes" the ball in passes over 20 yards and that will not get better. Said he hears that from a lot of people who know what they are talking about. Says he would start Zeb and recruit like hell telling every good QB we recruit that we play a senior and the job is wide open next year. Sign and come start! If you read between the lines it seems like he thinks Shane is making bad decisions. It's always this is stupid that is stupid the other is stupid BUT SHANE IS DOING A PRETTY GOOD JOB.
I have heard Ellis say before that he would start Zeb over Luke.
Reedy agreed that Doty is not the future at Carolina but said he'd play him anyway to try to get 6 wins with his running. Both say Doty will never be a good passer.
I am sure you can go to sportstalksc and hear to segment. It was lively and interesting. Reedy said some choice things about clem too.
My response to Ellis Johnson and Chuck Reedy would be, Phillip Rivers had a hell of a good NFL career “pushing” the ball while throwing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT