ADVERTISEMENT

Excited OSU won but I’m very sad

No real gamecock posts some bs like that.

Is there not some truth in what I said . Ask yourself this , what did you enjoy more , watching us win a game this year or watching OSU trample Dabo. It just saddens me that in the Spurrier days we expected to beat them and now our only joy is watching them lose to one of the best teams in the nation . Just funny how quickly our expectations change . I enjoyed the hell out of it , but when I see USC fans coming out of the woodwork chirping it’s just kinda sad when our program is in the state it’s in right now . Hopefully Shane can right the ship .

This thread (but also many others in the course of a year) reflects what was lost when we left the ACC. The year we won the ACC football championship, we had to beat them to do it. Nothing could have been finer. And in those days, people didn't get their loyalties confused, either. We hated UPC - and UNC - and Duke - and Maryland - we hated every d@mn one of them.

That now the biggest joy in Gamecock athletics is watching our biggest Rival lose in a national playoff game , especially when they have essentially been there since the playoff started . Hopefully times are a changing . Not changing fast enough .
Sad but true, Bobby. Just ignore the “real Gamecock fan” children. They are the ones who go to games on daddy’s tickets and drink daddy’s booze at tailgates.

That now the biggest joy in Gamecock athletics is watching our biggest Rival lose in a national playoff game , especially when they have essentially been there since the playoff started . Hopefully times are a changing . Not changing fast enough .
Bobby is 100% right. Our football program has become a pathetic loser, thanks to our moron of an AD who hired a proven loser in Muschamp. It’s sad that the only thing we can find joy in is Clemson losing. That is the definition of a loser.

This thread (but also many others in the course of a year) reflects what was lost when we left the ACC. The year we won the ACC football championship, we had to beat them to do it. Nothing could have been finer. And in those days, people didn't get their loyalties confused, either. We hated UPC - and UNC - and Duke - and Maryland - we hated every d@mn one of them.

The state of our football program today has NOTHING IN THIS GOD'S WORLD TO DO WITH US LEAVING THE ACC.

I feel exactly the same way. You are dead on. But still sad knowing that USC has little chance of producing that same pleasure for the next decade, or maybe longer.

Reactions: Brace1
Is there not some truth in what I said . Ask yourself this , what did you enjoy more , watching us win a game this year or watching OSU trample Dabo. It just saddens me that in the Spurrier days we expected to beat them and now our only joy is watching them lose to one of the best teams in the nation . Just funny how quickly our expectations change . I enjoyed the hell out of it , but when I see USC fans coming out of the woodwork chirping it’s just kinda sad when our program is in the state it’s in right now . Hopefully Shane can right the ship .
I've always enjoyed a good clempson whoopin no matter how the Gamecocks are doing.

Reactions: cocks rule
Oh, yes I remember those schools but haven't missed the rivalries one bit. I had rather compete against the SEC programs anytime.
We'll never belong until we can get people to hate us - remember that. You and I won't live to see it. We basically relinquished the beginnings of that when we left where we were.

Last edited:
I loved it. No matter what we are in football, great, horrible or dumpster fire it is always a bright spot when they lose. I don't care if it is West Virginia or Ohio State, as long as someone scored again and again and again, I'm happy.

Reactions: cocks rule
I'm usually not one to revel in Clemson losses in times where we suck. But last night was glorious. After being fed the Clemson hype machine all season by the media, seeing Dabo's behavior all year, and the sign stealing controversy, last night was like seeing Hans Gruber falling off Nakatomi Tower. Just desserts are a joy to behold.

• Haha
Reactions: DrMickey and Brace1
I've refused to feel bad about the state of our program. Havent always felt that way, all I know is I do now. We a direct result of decisions made by the powers that be and I'm not going to dwell, regret or anything like that about things that are out of my hands. We are what we are and I hope we do well but if we dont, we dont. But it's never a bad day to see clemson lose... them and the rest of the ACC. Screw them all.

Unknown and unknowable. But what is undeniable is the loss of rivalry and passion in competing against those particular schools. You are old enough to know that.
Considering our best years ever in football came after leaving the ACC and all but one of those was in the SEC, yes, it is well known.

tenor.gif

Reactions: PaleoCock

This is SIMPLY one of the things my kids learned at a VERY EARLY AGE. ABC’s

ANYBODY
BUT
CLEMPSUN

Two of my ‘children’ are now USC grads and the other one is a C of C grad, but he loathes Clempsun with the best of them.

Screw Clempsun and the cheating IPTAY members they rode in on...

Well I did enjoy watching OSU destroy the hated taters more than watching any of our games except the win against Albarn

I’ve always enjoyed seeing the Gamecocks win, ever since I saw my first game at Williams Brice around 1978. I was at Raymond James Stadium 3 years ago yesterday, and I saw us come from behind to beat Michigan in the Outback Bowl. I might have been in the minority after that game in thinking we were going to be relative and competitive again, but we all know how the following seasons played out.

During the best years of Gamecock football in my lifetime, I’ve relished our wins as well as the taters losses. I live in the Upstate, and folks here talk about clemson as if they’re a combination of the 72 Miami Dolphins and the All Pro, All Time NFL all stars. Dabos rants and raves and cheerleading make it all the more sickening. Anytime they lose, its a great day for me. That being said, I long for the time that South Carolina Gamecock football is relevant again!

The road not taken is never "known". Conceivably, we could have been where UPC has been over the past few years. We would have had the same opportunity.
We have been in the SEC longer than we were in the ACC and we left the ACC something like 50 years ago. It's time to let it go.

Gamecock fans universally hate what is going on with our football program right now. Complaining about a decision made 50 years ago doesn't move anything forward.

Reactions: garnet_reign
We can argue about being and not being in the ACC, SEC, etc forever and how things might have been different if we had never left. The fact is we did leave and never going back. That means making the best of being in the SEC. Spurrier proved we can produce national Top 10 teams in the SEC. If Beamer has the coaching chops of his Dad to go along with what has looked like VERY good recruiting skills, then this debate will become moot. Got to focus on the present.

We have been in the SEC longer than we were in the ACC and we left the ACC something like 50 years ago. It's time to let it go.

Gamecock fans universally hate what is going on with our football program right now. Complaining about a decision made 50 years ago doesn't move anything forward.
I find no obligation to forget. I'm not holding back anything by remembering. No one is.

The road not taken is never "known". Conceivably, we could have been where UPC has been over the past few years. We would have had the same opportunity.
I think it is well known at this point. The VAST majority of ACC teams have not excelled in the ACC. You point to clemsux as a team we could have bee like. However, the odds are we would have been more like Duke, Wake Forest, GT, Pittsburgh, BC, NC State, etc. Clemsux is an inexplicable outlier. Also look at the steady decline of powerhouses like Fla St and Miami since joining the ACC. They join the ACC and their fortunes drop. We leave the ACC and our fortunes rise.

I think it is well known at this point. The VAST majority of ACC teams have not excelled in the ACC. You point to clemsux as a team we could have bee like. However, the odds are we would have been more like Duke, Wake Forest, GT, Pittsburgh, BC, NC State, etc. Clemsux is an inexplicable outlier. Also look at the steady decline of powerhouses like Fla St and Miami since joining the ACC. They join the ACC and their fortunes drop. We leave the ACC and our fortunes rise.
When it comes to earthly affairs, the road not taken is never known. It might be projected, envisioned, or speculated about, but it cannot be known. Any rise in our fortunes in the almost 30 years we have been in the SEC have been ephemeral at best and totally without residual manifestation. That much is known.

I'll probably be on an island here, but I don't like Ohio State and was not pulling for them, was kinda hoping Clemson would beat them but that's hard to stomach too. Never seen so many people get butthurt over a ranking when they played so few games and the conference changed the rules for them. I found myself siding with Dabo. Was he supposed to just totally disrespect A&M and others and kiss buckeye ass just because everybody else does? Hats off to the man for standing his ground and owning it. He clearly stated his (sound) reasoning.

Oh well, we gotta grab whatever good fortune comes our way. We won't beat clemson anytime soon so I focus my attention elsewhere. Personally, I'd trade a championship in football for a 10 lb bass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT