ADVERTISEMENT

Excluding Saban and Meyer who are the top 5

Delusional not to include Dabo in this. Sorry if the truth hurts..
It’s funny how we didn’t think of someone under our noses. On turning a program around he is at the top. I’m not sold on Franklin myself. He didn’t make the program worse but OBrien did a good enough job to get a gig with the Texans.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I'm not completely sold on Malzahn, I'm sure others may disagree.
I do agree with David Cutcliffe. what he has done at Duke is nothing short of outstanding.
Same for Bill Snyder at Kansas St and Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern.
Taking into consideration what these 3 coaches have accomplished so far, imagine if they had the unlimited resources at their disposal that schools like Clemson, Bama or OSU have.

Last edited:
I’m with King Ward. I’ll put Kirby Smart on that list. Wow he’s got it rolling quickly.
Also, he-who-shall-not-be-named is on the list whether we like it or not.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Delusional not to include Dabo in this. Sorry if the truth hurts..

The question asked opinions on the Top 5 coaches, NOT the Top 5 Charlatans, Used car Salesman, Lay Preachers, Shell Game Operators or any similar ilk . . . . .

okay. I'll be nice and fair. Dabo is definitely in the Top 5 Program Managers and Organizers. He is also in the Top 5 (maybe, even, #1) Best HC in Making HIRING Decisions (assistants)* AND he is in the Top 5 HC Player Recruiters/Closers*.

* He also is #1 for Retension in these two categories.

There, Esso, that does that make you happy as you slosh your way to DV tomorrow?

If you are talking head football coach
Dabo might be one if you are talking organization skills, BS skills, as far as x and o's, not so sure.

If you're talking about "head coaches", yes only some naive fans would say that he is not a top 5 "head coach" right now. Head coaches are now basically ceo's of the program in college football. If your talking about actual coaching the game of football and football knowledge he is not top 25. Muschamp is better at coaching football and has much more football game knowledge, but it's still yet to be seen if he can be the "CEO" of a program though.

This did make me think how much Dabo will use the cameras tomorrow to promote himself / Clemson during the hurricane coverage. He’ll say something like, “football doesn’t mean much considering what the coast is going through” yet he’s there...playing the game, using up needed resources.

This did make me think how much Dabo will use the cameras tomorrow to promote himself / Clemson during the hurricane coverage. He’ll say something like, “football doesn’t mean much considering what the coast is going through” yet he’s there...playing the game, using up needed resources.

Hypothetical question, if we had not canceled our game would you not be there watching it or trying to watch on tv if you were capable?

Hypothetical question, if we had not canceled our game would you not be there watching it or trying to watch on tv if you were capable?

I would be. But I live in Florida...so... Last year during the aftermath of Irma a friend of mine got special clearance to land a plane in the keys, one of the few planes to do that. We loaded up a small plane with water because they had none down there. He was able to make two flights to drop supplies. We ended up renting a box truck with a 3rd shipment to Ft Myers. All of this time our families were without power or water supply for 4 days. I wonder how many people could use the amount of water that will be used up Saturday during that noon, September kickoff. I’m sure there will be a shortage of clean water...

I'm not completely sold on Malzahn, I'm sure others may disagree.
I do agree with David Cutcliffe. what he has done at Duke is nothing short of outstanding.
Same for Bill Snyder at Kansas St and Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern.
Taking into consideration what these 3 coaches have accomplished so far, imagine if they had the unlimited resources at that their disposal that schools like Clemson, Bama or OSU.
Great call on Pat Fitzgerald no telling what he could do at a traditional program

As much as it pains one to a knowledge it, Dabo is in that select group. Now did he inherited a program void of talent like many Clemson folks want to portray and make something out of nothing? No. Quite the contrary. Tommy Bowden left quite a few NFL talents to work with. But he did upgrade the program to the next level that Bowden could never get to and now they are amongst the elite teams on an annual basis. Smart enough to follow the Danny Ford pattern of hiring good assistants. And gets Clemson to pay them well enough to keep them all there. The X's and O's don't really matter as much as the players. Watch Alabama. They don't confuse anyone with their offense. But it sure works. It's all about recruiting, and Dabo is as good as they come in that area. I don't like it a bit. But you have to give credit where it is due.

As much as it pains one to a knowledge it, Dabo is in that select group. Now did he inherited a program void of talent like many Clemson folks want to portray and make something out of nothing? No. Quite the contrary. Tommy Bowden left quite a few NFL talents to work with. But he did upgrade the program to the next level that Bowden could never get to and now they are amongst the elite teams on an annual basis. Smart enough to follow the Danny Ford pattern of hiring good assistants. And gets Clemson to pay them well enough to keep them all there. The X's and O's don't really matter as much as the players. Watch Alabama. They don't confuse anyone with their offense. But it sure works. It's all about recruiting, and Dabo is as good as they come in that area. I don't like it a bit. But you have to give credit where it is due.

I’ll agree recruiting is important and probably most important. But Nick Saban is possibly the greatest defensive coach college football has seen. Bama wins with defense. So the X’s and O’s are still very important.

Lincoln Riley and Kirby Smart are the two up and coming names.
People thought Herman was too. I dont think the sample size is large enough yet. Year 5 is a good marker as most have had to hire assistants in that period and they have ran a full recruiting cycle. If they are still very successful then I would agree. But taking over all the pieces from Stoops just like Smart had all the tools to be successful. It's not like they took over "Dumpster Fires".

People thought Herman was too. I dont think the sample size is large enough yet. Year 5 is a good marker as most have had to hire assistants in that period and they have ran a full recruiting cycle. If they are still very successful then I would agree. But taking over all the pieces from Stoops just like Smart had all the tools to be successful. It's not like they took over "Dumpster Fires".

I said “up and coming” not top 5. I think we are on the same page with these guys.

That s why I didn't include them,haven't been on the job long and took over programs that were in great shape.

Dabo's success isn't because of his coaching. He once even admitted he was not an X and O's type of guy.
Dabo put together one of the best staffs in the nation, and Dabo recruits constantly. That is where his success comes from.

who wouldnt ?
No intelligent person wouldn't, but not everyone is intelligent. If you want to get down to the truth of the matter, the question should be whether or not we would have Dabo as a coach if a vacancy occurred? That way, you find out right quick whose heads are screwed on straight.

Agree. Can't see how Dabo would not be #1. Clemson has gone from a pretty pedestrian team to a Top 5+ powerhouse on his watch. Couple that with the recruits they are consistently bringing in ~ impressive. Clemson is on par with UGA at this point but they don't have the endless well that the ATL recruiting pool in their backyard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT