ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion is eminent

Boom4life

Oct 30, 2017

I honestly look for it to be approved.
Not mentioned is I have seen the top 4 will get first round byes.

The G5 is going to be very sorry that this ever happened. Even the media and the Selection Committee will tire of sending them into the Playoff as fodder for the P5.

Carolina should hope they redraw the conferences to 4 16 team leagues and they end up with the ACC/Eastern schools.Otherwise more of the same.

Reactions: jerryusc
Not sure why any of us are against this. Near zero chance to be top 4 for us with our schedule, even if we get to the point where Spurrier had us.

But we might be able to get to top 12. Good news for us.
And besides, with all of the ballyhooing on here about playing inferior opponents, and how bad that is to watch, an expanded playoff means extra games between higher caliber teams! And did I mention extra football?!? Why is anybody bellyaching about *more* football??

I’m firmly against this for reasons others stated (there aren’t that many worthy teams), but in practice I also know this will not have any affect on my life except maybe a few more viewing parties in the neighborhood. So here’s to more random drinking!!!!

Not sure why any of us are against this. Near zero chance to be top 4 for us with our schedule, even if we get to the point where Spurrier had us.

But we might be able to get to top 12. Good news for us.
This is true and it will make it more difficult for Clemson to coast into a championship game.

I see both sides of it but it can only be good for the Gamecocks. It's most likely our only legitimate chance of ever getting into the playoffs.

Plus, this may help bring some balance in recruiting. Right now, a small group of teams are making it to the playoff every year. Lots of these kids want that ring and the publicity/exposure that goes along with getting in the playoffs.

Now those players will have more choices. It's not just Bama/Clem/OSU if you want a good shot at the playoffs.

In the entire history of college football there has NEVER been a single season in which, at the end, 12 teams were legitimate contenders. Not even 8 teams.

I wouldn’t say never but I’ll concede it’s extremely rare, especially in the modern era of super conferences. But back in the day there were a couple of examples of where an 8 team playoff would have had some legitimate contenders from 1-8.

I hate everyone involved with the CFP, and I am also preemptively hating their future children and grandchildren. I truly hope there is a VIP section of Hell where they get extra torment along with Stalin, Hitler, and people that think Jerry Lewis is funny.

Plus, this may help bring some balance in recruiting. Right now, a small group of teams are making it to the playoff every year. Lots of these kids want that ring and the publicity/exposure that goes along with getting in the playoffs.

Now those players will have more choices. It's not just Bama/Clem/OSU if you want a good shot at the playoffs.
That's just being simplistic. Bama, OSU and Oklahoma have out-recruited everyone dating back to when championships were awarded thru the use of the polls.

That entire argument is just blame-gaming and finger-pointing. It's easier just to whine about someone having an "Unfair" (imaginary) advantage.

Go evaluate talent, develop relationships, upgrade your facilities and sell your program to kids.

Look at basketball. There's 68 teams in that tournament. But, the same 4 - 5 teams have the highest rated classes every year. Those programs have the greatest tradition, the best facilities and put the highest premium on coaching and talent.

Reactions: CtownNat1ve
It will probably generate interest for some people. Not for me, though, because I just don't think it will be relevant or interesting.
Oh, I'll be plenty interested in these games . . . In December. I think the regular season games in September through November will become much less interesting. Oh well, that's hunting season anyway.

Reactions: GoCocksFight2021
Win the east and get to the SEC championship game, and you will make the playoffs. I could see 3 SEC teams getting in on a good year.
In a good year? In a bad year, the SEC has 3 of the top 12 teams in college football. In a good year, that number is more like 5 or 6. Unless the committee is willing to buck political pressure by granting 4 of the 6 at-large bids to SEC teams, the conference is likely to be underrepresented under this format.

I always envisioned a playoff of just the conference champions. And I know “the SEC runner up is better than the ACC or PAC 12 champion “. But so be it. Make it simple. The idea of crowning a national champion just seems of secondary importance, to me. Just let the champs slug it out. What wouldn’t be interesting about that?

I honestly look for it to be approved.
Not mentioned is I have seen the top 4 will get first round byes.
I also don't get so many here being upset with this. I agree with what has already been stated that it seems like we are so far away from this level it really makes no difference. I also dont see it as a bad thing that Clempson will have to beat more quality teams to actually make it to a title game.

This is a totally ludicrous proposal for many of the reasons previously mentioned, so I won't reiterate those. But here is another reason. This is far too many games for college football. They already play too many games at 12 plus the playoffs. These are 18 - 22 yo young men and this sport is brutal and punishing. We're not talking about tennis matches here. This is too much to put these young men and their bodies through. This would push the season into well into February. From the end of August until the middle of February is entirely too long of a season for college football players. After that they will head almost immediately into spring practice. Give these these guys a break and let them have a little bit of the college experience rather than all year football.

Reactions: bigsirspur
An 8-team playoff would have been far more than enough. Enough for all the P5 to be represented, plus 3 more for an occasional extra P5 as well as the odd team or two from outside the P5 getting a chance....
All the Power Five don't deserve to be represented every year, but people are lusting after expansion so here we go.

It will probably generate interest for some people. Not for me, though, because I just don't think it will be relevant or interesting.
I think it will be more interesting than relevant. All I feel reasonably certain about is that more key players will miss the championship game due to injuries than are missing it now.

Well, the everyone gets a trophy generation has now fully taken over college football.
That has nothing to do with this at all. I was a huge detractor of a playoff originally but now that the cat is out of the bag there is no going back. This is not a placating attempt to avoid hurting people’s feelings, it is an attempt to engage more fan bases longer into the season/through the playoffs and make more money. Period. It has not one shred of basis in PC culture or anything even remotely related the “everyone gets a trophy” mindset. There will still be one trophy at the end.

This is a totally ludicrous proposal for many of the reasons previously mentioned, so I won't reiterate those. But here is another reason. This is far too many games for college football. They already play too many games at 12 plus the playoffs. These are 18 - 22 yo young men and this sport is brutal and punishing. We're not talking about tennis matches here. This is too much to put these young men and their bodies through. This would push the season into well into February. From the end of August until the middle of February is entirely too long of a season for college football players. After that they will head almost immediately into spring practice. Give these these guys a break and let them have a little bit of the college experience rather than all year football.
That is a complete non-issue. There will be about 4-6 teams every year who may play more games than a normal good/bowl bound college team would play. Absolutely nominal impact… You are grasping a straws if this is your concern.

I also don't get so many here being upset with this. I agree with what has already been stated that it seems like we are so far away from this level it really makes no difference. I also dont see it as a bad thing that Clempson will have to beat more quality teams to actually make it to a title game.
It is similar to the outrage over the NIL proposals. “Change is bad”. It is the antiquated mindset of older fans who cannot accept change. They are unwilling to even give it a chance and make up reasons to support their own opinions/latch on to any notion that supports it (confirmation bias). Part of it is their inability to be open to new things and part of it is petty sour grapes…”when I was playing we did not get paid so these guys should not either/when I was a kid they selected the champ the old fashioned way- totally made up BS- and we had to deal with it so trying to fix the problem now means others may get to enjoy something I never did”- *shakes cane at the sky.

Reactions: USC2USC
If they make the Power 5 into the Power 6 by including the AAC and turn the G5 into the G4, then that is overdue imo and I'm good with that. They lose me at picking 6 additional teams based on opinions in a board room. That works for 32 or 64 but not a handful. Id rather them let the G4 champs play a play-in game and take the two left standing, add them to make 8 and pick no at-large. I think I've posted that before. That or just let the Power 6 champs play with two getting byes. Either way, should have gone from 4 picks as it is today to no picks not more picks. Champs only (berths) and a clear path written in stone... guess that wouldnt keep ND relevant tho would it.

Last edited:
That is a complete non-issue. There will be about 4-6 teams every year who may play more games than a normal good/bowl bound college team would play. Absolutely nominal impact… You are grasping a straws if this is your concern.
No, if you read my post which you clearly did not, I said the current season is already too long. This makes it even worse.

No, if you read my post which you clearly did not, I said the current season is already too long. This makes it even worse.
For 4-6 teams a year max… I read your post, I just disagree with it. The season is not too long, it will only be extended by this proposal for a few teams and nobody is forcing these young men to chose to play college football. It is their choice as to whether the risk is worth the reward. Your opinion on whether it is too long or not is irrelevant as I am sure there is not a college in this country that would ask you to join their team.

It is fun y how people shift their opinions to fit a narrative! When discussions of player safety focus on reducing head injuries through changing tackling techniques “they are ruining the game! This is turning FB into two hand touch..”. When it comes to potentially lengthening the season a game or two for a handful of teams and they oppose anplayoff expansion: “they are ruining the game! What about the poor players being forced to play more games… Injuries.. player safety”!

Again- confirmation bias in full effect. “I will believe what ever supports my preconceived opinion and refuse to even consider alternative views”. Running rampant around here it would seem!

I don't really care one way or the other. But with only four teams in the playoff, there have been more blowouts than good games it seems. See 2020 for example. Expansion seems like it will only exacerbate that.

For 4-6 teams a year max… I read your post, I just disagree with it. The season is not too long, it will only be extended by this proposal for a few teams and nobody is forcing these young men to chose to play college football. It is their choice as to whether the risk is worth the reward. Your opinion on whether it is too long or not is irrelevant as I am sure there is not a college in this country that would ask you to join their team.

It is fun y how people shift their opinions to fit a narrative! When discussions of player safety focus on reducing head injuries through changing tackling techniques “they are ruining the game! This is turning FB into two hand touch..”. When it comes to potentially lengthening the season a game or two for a handful of teams and they oppose anplayoff expansion: “they are ruining the game! What about the poor players being forced to play more games… Injuries.. player safety”!

Again- confirmation bias in full effect. “I will believe what ever supports my preconceived opinion and refuse to even consider alternative views”. Running rampant around here it would seem!
That is total and complete BS. I have never said any of those things. I'm all for player safety. I had to watch a teammate of mine in college die on the football field. F&%k you if you don't think that is traumatic, or if you think I'm not conscious of player safety. How dare you, you ignorant dumbass!

Also, for your information, a college team DID ask me to join them. They also gave me a scholarship to join them. My opinion is far greater on the subject than is yours. How many years of college football did you play? I'm not talking about intramural touch football either. I can tell you from experience, when you are 17, 18, 19 yo and play a long grueling season and then after that go into spring practice, it is very demanding and I never played a season longer than 11 games so I can only imagine how it is to play all the way into February and then start Spring practice right after that. This is a very rough and brutal game and these kids are not professional athletes. This isn't the NFL. This is college. They need a break. There has to be some rational limits. There has to be some common FREAKING SENSE invoked somewhere along the line to protect these young men.

Reactions: BlueCord86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT