Favorite acoustic guitar player?

loriscock77

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
My short list would be:
Doc Watson
Mississippi John Hurt
Norman Blake
Chet Atkins (though he usually played Gretsch hollow body electrics; I would he argue in played in an acoustic style)

Doc Watson
Tony Rice
Billy Strings
Chet Atkins (I think we should count him too)
Julian Bream (to throw in a classical guitarist)

Reactions: taiwancock
I was hoping someone would post someone I didn't recognize and you guys did. I had to look up Billy Strings; now a fan.
Man, I can post a few YouTube vids of acoustic guitarist you've NEVER heard of, but yet will blow your mind!!! In fact, I did just that about a month ago!! Gimmie a few and I'll do so again!

G

Reactions: heavycock
I was hoping someone would post someone I didn't recognize and you guys did. I had to look up Billy Strings; now a fan.
Man, I can post a few YouTube vids of acoustic guitarist you've NEVER heard of, but yet will blow your mind!!! In fact, I did just that about a month ago!! Gimmie a few and I'll do so again!

G

Here ya go!!

Check that link out above, and BE SURE to follow all the one's/links of that particular guitarist that I posted AFTER I posted the initial one!! I mean that gal literally blew my mind!! She IS THAT GOOD!!!

Reactions: heavycock
My short list would be:
Doc Watson
Mississippi John Hurt
Norman Blake
Chet Atkins (though he usually played Gretsch hollow body electrics; I would he argue in played in an acoustic style)
3 of Chet Atkins very best guitar tunes. So help me this is some of the best you'll EVER hear from Chet! He basically played a clean (i.e. no distortion, few other affects, etc.)electric "acoustic" sound!! His "sound" was/is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, and he's influenced more "other" guitarist than anyone else!!

Chet Atkins, June 20th, 1924 - June 30th, 2001

No doubt the gentleman's life was "in-tune" from the day he was born until the day he passed away - he was a Cancer in regards to the Zodiac signs, and he died of such (i.e. colon cancer) on June 30th 2001.

One of the Very Best and most influencing guitarist in American history no doubt!!

FWIW,

Gaim

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows

Awesome. It's kinda hard for me to find new music because I'm getting old and cynical of the kids these days haha, but hotdamn if this kid can't play. Discovered him a few years ago. He has a traditional side that keeps the traditional bluegrass folks happy, but he'll go over the edge and cover anything from The Grateful Dead to Black Sabbath, in his own way of course.
Original material:

Molly Tuttle can get after it too:

And can slide right in there with the best of em:

Reactions: Gaimcock
This one showcases SC's very own Marcus King a bit more than Billy I'd say, but it's a nice little version of the old Gershwin standard IMO:

Reactions: Gaimcock
Earl Klugh - Heart String may be the prettiest music you will hear.
Acoustic Alchemy
Rodrigo & Gabriela. (These 2 will blow your socks off).

I've been listening to string/acoustic music for 55 years and can't ever remember seeing anyone do what Billy Strings does, and so young! Andy Falco from the Duster's in this ensemble is pretty darn good, go to the 2:50 mark, but the entire song is incredible! I'm sure I've posted this before! Thanks for posting some new things to listen to guys!

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Previously Chapin, South Carolina resident and waiter at California Dreaming restaurant Samuel Beam of Iron & Wine covering flaming Lips Waitin' For Superman.

Reactions: JeffTweedyFan
Not sure about musician, but one of my favorites acoustic guitar songs along with many other instruments Classical Gas.

Chet Atkins as a studio musician and producer probably played on more cuts than anyone in history. His style called "Travis Picking" was based on the great Merle Travis who influenced him greatly. Merle could make his Martin talk and you can hear it on some of his records.

My brother has played bass with Columbia's own Randy Lucas. He's as talented as they come and has won national competitions on both the guitar and banjo. He could easily be a top studio musician in Nashville and no doubt has turned down offers to do so.

Last edited:
My short list would be:
Doc Watson
Mississippi John Hurt
Norman Blake

You beat me to Doc. And, as I read down, so did a bunch of people who have heard him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT