ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Gamecock baseball player to watch in the last 15-20 years

Yaron Peters. He had the best year of any Gamecock, setting the single-season record for home runs with 29 as well as a single-season record 95 RBIs.

Yaron Peters. He had the best year of any Gamecock, setting the single-season record for home runs with 29 as well as a single-season record 95 RBIs.
He was a beast in 02. Darnell was another great hitter a few years later for us.

Who was the African American that could touch 100 on the mound? Control issues aside, he was fun as Hell to watch!

Who was the African American!

Confused-Gary-Payton.gif

Mcbeth didn't pitch in college, but made a major league roster as a pitcher. Jon coutlangus did as well. Never thought his arm was that good, but Mcbeth had a cannon. Best infield arm I remember was drew Meyer, had a rocket from SS.

Christian Walker or...Even though he only played one year...Brian Roberts. I think he still has the SEC record for stolen bases in a season.

I'd have to go with Bouknight and Roth.

Kip may have never won a ring but he was as tough a pitcher as we have ever had. You always expected to win when he took the mound and the vast majority of the time we did.

He earned the Golden Spikes award in 2000 and If it weren't for those stinking Raging Cajuns, we might not have had to wait until 2010 to win it all. Loved those killer Bs Bouknight, Barber, and Bauer.

Michael Roth was the quintessential baseball player. In my opinion he was the glue for those championship teams. If he wasn't winning games on the mound, you could find him in the dugout keeping the guys loose with some goofy rally ritual. It was hard not to love that guy.

Looking back, we've had a ton of clutch players. This thread brings back some great memories of so many great players that wore the GB.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
Great thread. Lot's of memories up in here. I gotta go with:

JBJ
Roth
Marzilli
Walker
Kip
Wingo
Brian Williams

Honorable Mention
Parker Bangs
Mark Taylor

I still have his HR ball that he hit vs FSU in 88. Retrieved it from the softball field.

Great thread. Lot's of memories up in here. I gotta go with:

JBJ
Roth
Marzilli
Walker
Kip
Wingo
Brian Williams

Honorable Mention
Parker Bangs
Mark Taylor

I still have his HR ball that he hit vs FSU in 88. Retrieved it from the softball field.
Parker Bangs-ultimate utility guy. Could pitch, hit and play any position you asked.

Robert Beary was another great ulitilty guy but he didn't pitch.

Parker Bangs-ultimate utility guy. Could pitch, hit and play any position you asked.

Robert Beary was another great ulitilty guy but he didn't pitch.
Robert Beary was a bit of an unsung hero in 2010. He helped save us from elimination against Oklahoma. His clutch hit and stolen base set the tone for JBJ's 2 out single to right field to tie the game. His defense was also clutch behind the plate.

If not for Beary we were most likely 2 and BBQ in 2010. We owe him his due.

Robert Beary was a bit of an unsung hero in 2010. He helped save us from elimination against Oklahoma. His clutch hit and stolen base set the tone for JBJ's 2 out single to right field to tie the game. His defense was also clutch behind the plate.

If not for Beary we were most likely 2 and BBQ in 2010. We owe him his due.
Yep, also took over full time catcher duty towards end of 2011 season allowing Brady Thomas, other catcher who was better hitter, to focus on fulltime DH. Always did what was asked to help team. Beary was a fairly good hitter in his own right. Not a great average but delivered in clutch moments.

Yep, also took over full time catcher duty towards end of 2011 season allowing Brady Thomas, other catcher who was better hitter, to focus on fulltime DH. Always did what was asked to help team. Beary was a fairly good hitter in his own right. Not a great average but delivered in clutch moments.
No doubt. I just watched the highlights from the 2011 CWS. He was there on several plays. The short hop he fielded from Wingo against Florida was a thing of beauty. If that ball gets by we lose game one of the finals.

That was one heck of a defense we had.

I loved watching Price and Roth set em up and put em down. That 2 year run was magical and RT could do no wrong.

I've already declared Roth, & he's my favorite by a mile. I'm gonna go with one more I really used to enjoy watching & no one has mentioned him yet.

72671-14216753Fr.jpg

I've already declared Roth, & he's my favorite by a mile. I'm gonna go with one more I really used to enjoy watching & no one has mentioned him yet.

72671-14216753Fr.jpg
Yes, Barber was the closer and Sunday starter in 2000. A freaking workhorse. Did someone mention Bauer?

I gotta mention John Taylor. Mr. Rubber arm. One of the best setup guys we ever had. He could come in the third inning or eighth inning and do his job and do it well-set up for Price to close. He could finish games too when asked.
Another truly unsung hero. No way we win it all either year without John Taylor. I'm really surprised more guys don't drop down and adapt this style. How many times did Coach Calvi go to Taylor and Jose Mata in those middle innings?

Last edited:
Reactions: fire ant
As tough as a choice this is... Seeing Roth/Price on the mound was just electrifying. Never even considered the possibility of it not going well

But wow.. There have been some good ones. What a run

Favorite to watch -- Bouknight. Close 2nd, Scottie Wingo.

Most Valuable -- Roth

Best Overall -- JBJ

Mike Curry and Brian Roberts back in the 90's were fun to watch. If you walked either of them they could easily be on 3rd base 2 pitches later. 3 hole and cleanup hitters dream, take a couple pitches and you most likely have ducks on the pond.

That's like askin someone who their favorite child is. If I had to pick one, I would pick Wingo. Others that are near and dear to my heart are - Roth, Price, Kip, Dyson, Drew Myers, Walker, Smoak, Havens, Jackie, Evan..........

I know it was forty years ago but no one will ever take #22 Hank Small's place in my heart as my all time favorite. I still can't believe he is gone.

Kevin Melillo

Wasn't it Melillo that hit a HR against Clemson in the CWS, and Jack Leg got all bent out of shape, and accused him of 'bat flippin' ... and trying to show up his team.

We had already done that if I recall beating them 2x when they were in the drivers seat to make the finals. That last game we beat them something like 12-4. All they had to do was win 1 more game to play for the title, but they choked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT