ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite sports watching day of the year

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
I'm mainly a Football and Basketball guy (Baseball only if the Gamecocks are in the CWS, and to see who wins the World Series, will get interested in MLB if my Marlins are contending which is rare) I don't watch golf, hockey, and definitely don't watch soccer.

That said, the day that comes to mind for me is a day that in my opinion is one the most underrated sports days of the year, the last Saturday before Christmas. Usually have some College basketball (used to be the day Kentucky and Indiana played each other) College Football has its first bowl game of the year on that day usually, you have NBA games going, and to top it all off, the NFL has two or more games that day usually involving teams who are fighting for playoff position or fighting to get in the playoffs.

Sad part is that lately, I'm usually stuck working on that day.

Agreed, although technically that's a two-day affair.

Two great days to take the afternoon off from work and head to your favorite sports bar and hopefully see DAVID take down Goliath!

Looking at you UMBC and ugh...Richmond and Coppin State.

Also, I like conference championship Saturday for college football.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
First day of the NCAA baseball tourney is fun, especially when the Gamecocks are hosting.

The summer can be fun with NHL and NBA playoffs.

Reactions: redrogers
Agree with those that said the opening 2 days the NCAA basketball tournament.

2nd place is NFL wildcard weekend. 6 playoff games in 2 days is awesome.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I'm mainly a Football and Basketball guy (Baseball only if the Gamecocks are in the CWS, and to see who wins the World Series, will get interested in MLB if my Marlins are contending which is rare) I don't watch golf, hockey, and definitely don't watch soccer.

That said, the day that comes to mind for me is a day that in my opinion is one the most underrated sports days of the year, the last Saturday before Christmas. Usually have some College basketball (used to be the day Kentucky and Indiana played each other) College Football has its first bowl game of the year on that day usually, you have NBA games going, and to top it all off, the NFL has two or more games that day usually involving teams who are fighting for playoff position or fighting to get in the playoffs.

Whatever day clemson got woodsheded by Ohio st. That day was a very good day. Lol

NCAAT first round
Masters Sunday
Any CFB Saturday
Any NFL Sunday
Summer Olympics

That's the list I can just sit there and completely veg out watching. I like baseball but prefer to watch in person or catch bits and pieces of a game on tv, can't just completely zone in. The five listed above are like nirvana in a tv signal

Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.
Monaco F1 race. Indianapolis 500. Coke 600. Absolute day of racing.
Honorable mention to Sunday at The Masters
Agreed...Memorial Day

Monaco GP
Indianapolis
Charlotte 600

1300 miles of motorsport action, no overlap so you can watch it all. I'm getting thirsty for a beer just thinking about it!

Reactions: PC31

Every college football Saturday. Get up early. Get stuff done. Settle in for the noon game then nothing but college football the rest of the day.

Eastbay Raceway Park Lucas Oil WinterNationals - Mon Night thru Sat Nite - Best Late Models Dirt Racing there is
Usually last week Jan or First Week of Feb, For a Dirt Track Fan, Nothing else compares!

Labor Day second, with start of College Football and now the Darlington is back to Labor Day

Reactions: Carolina1990
So many come to mind ...

Daytona 500
NC vs dook
Final Four
Opening Day
Sunday at the Masters
College Baseball Final Series
Dodgers anytime
Sox-Yanks
MLB All-Star Game
NFL Preseason Hall Of Fame Game
Whenever on the Calendar that the Southern 500 in Darlington lands
Rivalry weekend ... SC/Clem, Bama/Aub, Fla/FSU, Egg Bowl, Ohio St-Mich, etc.
AFC/NFC Championship Sunday

Any day I get to watch Smalls play golf
Opening Day of Gamecock Baseball
MLB Opening Day
Masters Sunday
Heritage Sunday

I can't believe Smalls isn't playing baseball! You would be the best coach a boy could possibly have to help him succeed.

Any day I get to watch Smalls play golf
Opening Day of Gamecock Baseball
MLB Opening Day
Masters Sunday
Heritage Sunday
Agreed on Master's Sunday! The only day I can get my wife to watch golf with me. Ill add week 1 of college football season. One of mine as a kid was Game 1 of the World Series when Tim McCarver used to call the games, but doesn't really have the same feel as it did growing up.

I'm not even huge into horse racing, but the Kentucky Derby is always one of my favorites days. Maybe it's because I don't care at all and just enjoy the party. Sometimes it's fun to go big for an event just for the sake of going big.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I'm not even huge into horse racing, but the Kentucky Derby is always one of my favorites days. Maybe it's because I don't care at all and just enjoy the party. Sometimes it's fun to go big for an event just for the sake of going big.
If we have a home game the first Saturday of May, we usually have a Derby themed tailgate at the ballpark. We'll have the TV there for anyone that wants to watch the Race. We've been known to leave the baseball game early to go watch the Race and then come back in to finish the baseball game.

Reactions: ToddFlanders
My favorite sport is NFL, but I also watch soccer, or NBA. Well, in fact I love all kind of sports. During my life, I was a soccer player in my school team, after that I tried myself in skating, and I must admit I was successful there. Unfortunately today, the only sport I practice is running, Twice a week, I run 15 km across the forest near my house and that keeps me alive. Happily, I managed to start making money from sports after reading this article https://connect.inc.com/blogs/logan...you-can-make-money-out-of-your-passion-for-sp. Check it out.

Last edited:
It's not where his heart is. He gave up baseball nearly 6 years ago. He loves golf (and is really good at it), and that is all that matters.

Good for you to allow him to choose his own path. Many of us who have coached youth sports have seen kids who didn't want to be there but were only there because Dad wanted them to and thought they were better than they were. The kids were miserable, and the Dad's frustrated. Who knows, we may see Smalls play on tv

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Surprised no one mentions NYD. Although it has become diluted with the CFP, still a great College Football Day. Always lots of SEC teams playing. Better when we get to participate instead of just watch. Next would be opening Thursday/Friday of March Madness.

For me, it's usually the first BIG weekend of September college football games. Typically this is around Week 3-4 when there are great games from noon until midnight.

Reactions: cfbfan15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT