ADVERTISEMENT

Final Rivals Top250 released today - not one recruit in it

True. Also remember Ty Detmer. All those QBs were fantastic in college....none of that made them the best ever....though Tebow may be close.
And don't forget Timmy Chang from Hawaii. That guy set a ton of passing records.

I think we will close better this year than people think. We are starting to go after some of UGA's 4 star WR commits and they have set OV's. McClendon was their recruiter at UGA. We have several other good 4 stars visiting over the next couple of weekends.

If staff can close well, Muschamp and staff will have done better than anyone thought they could have.

Reactions: TheReelEss
We should stop asking folks to join the gamecock club. We should ask if u didn't attend the university please don't join. Then they give their donations to the recruits. No harm no foul. All legit in the eyes of the NCAA.

I knew there was big trouble when Spurrier went so heavy on Juco last year. Tells the world that you do not like your talent and you need immediate help. It is also short sighted, which in the end is exactly what it seem he was
We're doing it again now. The difference is everyone KNOWS what we have and don't have now. But when you have to have them right away, that's how you do it. Lou did as well.

Watson's a better passer at this point in his career.

Based on what?
Newton 2010 185/280 66% 2854yd 10.2ypa 30td 7int passer rating of 182.0
Watson 2015 333/491 67% 4109yd 8.9ypa 35td 13int passer rating of 153.6

Sure, Watson threw a 200+ more passes so yardage will be higher, but none of the other stats say he is better. Cam's passing rating was much higher than Watson's. I think people get to be prisoners of the moment. Cam was a better quarterback.

Watson's a true sophomore. Cam was a RS junior in the year you're talking about (4th year of experience, albeit at his third college). Watson will be in the NFL by the time he's at the point you're comparing his numbers to Cam's.

Given Cam was on the bench behind a Heisman winner in Tim Tebow his sophomore year, and only had two passes for the year, wouldn't it make more sense to compare their first years as starting quarterbacks at FBS schools? Seems like that would be pretty fair comparison, unless you think Cam got some super special quarterbacking instruction at a junior college lol.

We're doing it again now. The difference is everyone KNOWS what we have and don't have now. But when you have to have them right away, that's how you do it. Lou did as well.
Lou had Darrell Shropshire, Cleveland Pinkney, Johnathan Joseph.

Spurrier had Casper/Jasper, Jarriel King, Rok Watkins.

All jucos who played in the NFL. That's just off the top of my head. The key is to do it as necessity to start a program but also mine it for the occasional NFL stud while sustaining a program. Just don't rely on jc's. You won't build a program by doing that these days.

Obviously rankings aren't everything but no one can deny that there is a strong correlation between landing highly rated recruiting classes and winning on the field.

No it makes more sense to compare them at the same age. You have a fully formed, essentially senior QB, compared to a true Soph. Your comparison.

Make another snarky comment if you like. I don't care. I won't answer.

Cam was actually part of Florida's 2008 recruiting class, so he would have been a junior in 2010, with no D1 experience. I remember because I wrote in this forum "look out for this kid at Auburn" before the start of the 2010 season (I also wrote look out for Jeremy Johnson last season. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I"m wrong).

As far as comparing the two, I agree that is Watson is a more polished passer at the same age as Newton. But there is no comparison between their running ability. Cam lead the SEC in rushing and he didn't try to avoid contact by sliding or running out of bounds. He was a punishing runner. It really made no sense for him to attempt to fit balls into tight windows with his running ability. Nor does it make sense for Watson to take hits running the ball, considering his injury history. I suspect Watson will stand in the pocket even more next season.

So it's not apples to apples to compare both quarterbacks one year as starters, but it is apples to apples to compare both quarterbacks at a certain age when one didn't attempt but two passes because he was playing behind some Heisman winner? Interesting concept. I don't know how you could even know how good a passer Cam was at that age to be able to give a definitive answer since he essentially didn't play? But I get it, you think the Sun rises and sets on your boy Watson.

Watson is a better passer and it's not close, Cam was a better runner and it's not close.

I think Watson is very, very good but I'd take Cam if I had to choose between the two.

Are you like 3 years old?
Cam and Jameis are the only two I can think of that were as dominant as Deshaun. Tebow, Mariota, and Manziel are in the conversation too, I guess. Deshaun is obviously better in the air than Cam was in college. Jameis doesn't have Deshaun's running ability..so yeah I'll say Deshaun is the most gifted and talented college quarterback I've seen play in the last 20 years. I know Deshaun and Cam had similar numbers thru 2 years through the air, but the eye test obviously goes to Deshaun. His rhythm and athleticism are a treat to watch.

Cam and Jameis are the only two I can think of that were as dominant as Deshaun. Tebow, Mariota, and Manziel are in the conversation too, I guess. Deshaun is obviously better in the air than Cam was in college. Jameis doesn't have Deshaun's running ability..so yeah I'll say Deshaun is the most gifted and talented college quarterback I've seen play in the last 20 years. I know Deshaun and Cam had similar numbers thru 2 years through the air, but the eye test obviously goes to Deshaun. His rhythm and athleticism are a treat to watch.
bcb.gif

Reactions: UpstateGamecock2

hurl_cam.gif

Reactions: UpstateGamecock2
For the first time in the 10 years since Rivals has done a Top 250, zero USC recruits are included. First time less than two (last year), outside of last year, first time less than three. Carolina has less Top 250 recruits on the team than Clemson has coming in this class (11).

I know Coach Boom is working hard to mend broken fences on the recruiting trail, but this is ridiculous where Spurrier left this program. And before you come back with it being a new staff, UGA has #13 class with highest average star rating and their coach has only been there a week. Coach is getting commits but they are not closing the gap.

How are McIlwain and Edwards not on this list?

u do realize the UGA class is mainly Richt's class. Smart was able to keep most of them in tack, and added a few (Bama recruits) to it. No magic there. If you can't recruit at UGA, I feel for you. UGA having top 10-15 classes is nothing new. So to say the coach has been there a week, and done all that is just simply not true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT