ADVERTISEMENT

Fine Ole Miss for thier field conditions

Cock-a-Doo

Dec 8, 2009
I seriously think they as a program should be fined for the condition of that field...by no means was it solely responsible for the onslaught of injuries yesterday but it was in unsafe condition for no apparent reason. It puts every athlete that steps on it - including thier own - in an unsafe position.

Did Beyonce maybe have a concert there Friday night??? Eyeroll

Last edited:
I seriously think they as a program should be fined for the condition of that field...by no means was it solely responsible for the onslaught of injuries yesterday but it was in unsafe condition for no apparent reason. It puts every athlete that steps on it - including thier own - in an unsafe position.

In what way was the field hazardous?

In what way was the field hazardous?
Neither team could maintain tractor because of the turf moving under their feet it was as if the sod had just been put down, very dangerous when you weight 300 lbs. It hard to play on I've done it you want to cut but your feet ain't having it.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
Neither team could maintain tractor because of the turf moving under their feet it was as if the sod had just been put down, very dangerous when you weight 300 lbs. It hard to play on I've done it you want to cut but your feet ain't having it.
I suppose they should have put a new artificial surface on it in 2016 instead of going back to natural grass.

Half way through the game their whole field look like a tee box on a par 3.

When I saw the field at Ole Miss it immediately reminded me of a game the Canes played at Rutgers back when the Canes were super hot and both Rutgers and Miami were in the Big East. The field literally looked like it had just been plowed. The condition of the Rutgers field was much worst than the Ole Miss field. The field was in the plowed-up condition obviously to reduce the speed of the Canes. But, I have never ever seen a field in such poor condition as that field at Rutgers for that particular game. There should have been some action taken by the Big East and NCAA against Rutgers for having a field in such poor playing condition. I didn't watch all of the game but if some of the players didn't receive injuries as a result of the poor field conditions, it would have been a miracle.

Last edited:
Todd remarked early on that the grass was cut closer than he had ever seen on a football field. Think about how many slips we had.
Lower grass if favored by teams who possess speed. If the grass at Ole Miss is like a putting green, Northwestern's field is like the secondary rough at the U.S. Open.

It looked like just the opposite. The grass was so short the cleats were digging in more than normal.

It was tough to really see on TV but the field looked like someone had been hitting pitching wedges off it.
Exactly what I thought it looked like. Stinchcomb said during the game the field was in bad shape. Ole Miss players were getting hurt too.

Reactions: jimnasium
I think we have discovered what started the crappy field talk. Id bet it wouldve gone unnoticed and unmentioned if it wasnt for the poster above posting this

"Todd remarked early on that the grass was cut closer than he had ever seen on a football field. Think about how many slips we had"

I think we have discovered what started the crappy field talk. Id bet it wouldve gone unnoticed and unmentioned if it wasnt for the poster above posting this

"Todd remarked early on that the grass was cut closer than he had ever seen on a football field. Think about how many slips we had"
Nope, I haven't heard a word what Todd said. Anyone that cared to pay attention to the game or had a decent TV saw how bad the field was.

My friend that was at the game; that was his first message to me after the game had started.
I was watching the game on a fairly small TV and still could see how bad and quickly it was getting torn up.

I think we discovered that you didn't watch the game. :)

Would love to see stats/study on that, can you reference that please.
Strangely enough I was riding through Nashville 2 weekends ago and the study of cleats came up on the sports radio channel. I cant remember the name of the study but it was about which cleats were the best for football. So of course I listened. UA actually took 2 out of the top 3 spots for best cleats. Had nothing to do with safety but rather force generated and other stuff. They did mention Nike had one that had to be removed from market because it generated too much.

Nope, I haven't heard a word what Todd said. Anyone that cared to pay attention to the game or had a decent TV saw how bad the field was.

My friend that was at the game; that was his first message to me after the game had started.
I was watching the game on a fairly small TV and still could see how bad and quickly it was getting torn up.

I think we discovered that you didn't watch the game. :)
Agree. I didn't listen to the radio (was at the game, and the vast majority watch on TV, so , all due to respect to Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs, I hardly think their statement caused everyone to first notice the field conditions. They noticed what all of us had. Those of us in Oxford saw it in person; I remarked in the first quarter that it looked as though the sod had just been laid down (turns out it had not), and that was before the rash of injuries to both sides. I'm sure TV showed it as well, if not better.

PS: the guy in front of me was weaving a conspiracy theory, before the game even, that Ole Miss intentionally soaked the field all night, to slow us down. My response: "Oh really. So, Ole Miss thinks we are fast???? Sure." Gotta love the conspiracy theory guys.

Reactions: vehemon
Me thinks this gridiron dust up is just an attempt to divot attention away from the rough game coming up. Let's stop digging up reasons to dis Ole Miss's turf. I know we have fans more grassy than that. So goodbye Oxturd, and hello Gators. If you think the Reb's pasture was a mess, just wait to you see our Cocks trying to survive a stroll through a swamp full of gators.

Reactions: rogue cock
Me thinks this gridiron dust up is just an attempt to divot attention away from the rough game coming up. Let's stop digging up reasons to dis Ole Miss's turf. I know we have fans more grassy than that. So goodbye Oxturd, and hello Gators. If you think the Reb's pasture was a mess, just wait to you see our Cocks trying to survive a stroll through a swamp full of gators.
*golf clap for the puns*

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT