ADVERTISEMENT

First trip to UF and Gainesville. Any input from those who have been to Ben Hill Griffin for a game?

ColaSwami

Nov 23, 2006
13 miles northwest of Williams-Brice
I am looking forward to my first trip to the swamp. Hoping that Carolina will play well and we have a chance at the end of the game. Wanting thoughts on the drive there and any other helpful (non-sarcastic) suggestions.
I have been to Vandy and this is the second away SEC venue for me. Trying to make it each one.
GO GAMECCOCKS!

This is the first time I will miss our game there in 10 years. Tailgating is different than here with the stadium on campus there are no large dedicated tailgate areas. Many areas campus roadside have free parking for first come. We have always rented a house within walking distance though. They do (in normal years anyway) a similar to gamecock park setup with vendors next to the stadium. Be prepared for yells of Gator bait. But most fans are nice. There are several bars/restaurants across the street from the stadium. The Social restaurant (1728 W University Ave, Gainesville, FL 32603) is there and has a nice rooftop bar area. We go there every trip. Not real close to the stadium is Satchels Pizza. 1800 NE 23rd Ave, Gainesville, FL 32609. It is a very unique Pizza/craft beer place. With some interesting parking area art including a plane. Unless it has changed no credit cards accepted though.

Reactions: PC31 and ColaSwami
I am looking forward to my first trip to the swamp. Hoping that Carolina will play well and we have a chance at the end of the game. Wanting thoughts on the drive there and any other helpful (non-sarcastic) suggestions.
I have been to Vandy and this is the second away SEC venue for me. Trying to make it each one.
GO GAMECCOCKS!
I've been there several times. It is a great college football venue. Gainesville is also a great college town. We always stayed in Starke or Jacksonville near the airport in line with our practice of picking a place that was toward home, but that's a matter of personal preference. The Florida fans get intense and the band, cheerleaders and fans probably work together better there than anyplace that isn't A&M.

GO GAMECCOCKS!
Get there early and stay late.......if u pass thru Starke ck out the roadside Q stand.
Btw, u’ll luv Lexington

Others have mentioned Starke. Starke and Grayson get a huge portion of their revenue from speeding tickets. Watch your speed. Florida has some of the prettiest coeds in the SEC. We were always treated very well there

Thank you everyone for sharing your information. I do appreciate it and you. On a side note, I guess I repressed last year's trip to Rocky Top and failed to mention I have been there, too. We had that game in the bag at halftime, and well, you know the rest of the story. I now know how they get 108k into Neyland. There are not backs to bleacher seats and the seats are maybe 10 inches in width (small). The Vol fans singing, "I've Got Friends in Low Places" was, well, not priceless!! Anyway, wanted to ask everyone their favorite away stadium. I enjoy Vandy and Neyland so far. Vandy and Nashville are just plain nice. GO COCKS!

Others have mentioned Starke. Starke and Grayson get a huge portion of their revenue from speeding tickets. Watch your speed. Florida has some of the prettiest coeds in the SEC. We were always treated very well there
Starke has now been bypassed by a limited access highway. It was never the worst speed trap down there. That distinction went to Hampton and Waldo, with Lawtey getting an honorable mention. However the Attorney General of Florida has addressed the situation on that stretch of US 301 - which is not to recommend carelessness.

Get there early and stay late.......if u pass thru Starke ck out the roadside Q stand.
Btw, u’ll luv Lexington
Agree with this. I will add: Starke is a speed trap. Don't go to Sonny's. Its not bbq, its roast beef smothered in kc masterpiece sauce. Go early, park and hit the bars/restaurants near the stadium. Friendly atmosphere. Depending on how the game goes, and if it's anything like lou's last trip, you may have keys jingled in your face early in the 3rd qtr. Excellent away trip and the coeds are exceptional.

Reactions: ColaSwami
Agree with this. I will add: Starke is a speed trap. Don't go to Sonny's. Its not bbq, its roast beef smothered in kc masterpiece sauce. Go early, park and hit the bars/restaurants near the stadium. Friendly atmosphere. Depending on how the game goes, and if it's anything like lou's last trip, you may have keys jingled in your face early in the 3rd qtr. Excellent away trip and the coeds are exceptional.
Cedar River is a good fish place, though - and see my remarks above about the current traffic situation in Starke.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClowneyPosse
In this Covid-impacted season, there is no venue which can provide a true sense of what a football Saturday is like in normal times, and this includes The Swamp. On the plus side for traveling fans, it appears the local hotels have dropped their 2-night minimum stays and prices have dropped from $250-$600 per night down to normal rates. UF is only allowing about 17, 000 tickets for home games and the city is discouraging tailgating to some degree. I would expect a fairly easy time finding parking spots on campus, as well as just north of the stadium (across University Avenue) and west of the stadium (along SW 2nd Avenue). In normal times there are reasonably-priced shuttles running from downtown and out near I-75, though not sure if these will operate. Otherwise, just watch for speed traps along US 301 (Lawtey, Hampton, and Waldo). A new bypass now goes around Starke so that isn't so much of a problem. Can't say what restrictions apply to local restaurants or watering holes, but there are a few options downtown, midtown, along University Avenue on north side of campus, and along Archer Road & along SW 34th Street southwest of campus. Safe travels.

In this Covid-impacted season, there is no venue which can provide a true sense of what a football Saturday is like in normal times, and this includes The Swamp. On the plus side for traveling fans, it appears the local hotels have dropped their 2-night minimum stays and prices have dropped from $250-$600 per night down to normal rates. UF is only allowing about 17, 000 tickets for home games and the city is discouraging tailgating to some degree. I would expect a fairly easy time finding parking spots on campus, as well as just north of the stadium (across University Avenue) and west of the stadium (along SW 2nd Avenue). In normal times there are reasonably-priced shuttles running from downtown and out near I-75, though not sure if these will operate. Otherwise, just watch for speed traps along US 301 (Lawtey, Hampton, and Waldo). A new bypass now goes around Starke so that isn't so much of a problem. Can't say what restrictions apply to local restaurants or watering holes, but there are a few options downtown, midtown, along University Avenue on north side of campus, and along Archer Road & along SW 34th Street southwest of campus. Safe travels.
I spent some time recently in Gainesville and getting something to eat shouldn't be a problem - especially with the crowds diminished.

I've been there a few times. Great college atmosphere with tradition. Stadium is on campus. I've never had trouble leaving the stadium. A lot of the parking is in someone's yard. The fans get intense and can be rude. I live 2 hours away from Gainesville now so zi drive up gor the game. I would recommend..

GO GAMECCOCKS!
Be prepared for jorts with boots and flowing mullets with wrap around Rayban oil slick looking blade sunglasses. Gainseville is the white trash capital of the world. Makes Baton Rouge look like Dubai! Have fun! 😂

This will be the first time that I have missed it in years. We use to stay in Jax because the Jax Gamecock Club had a beach band and party at one of the big hotels on Friday night. It was great fun and I miss that.

Gainesville is a good college town. The university is all there is. Two areas to hang out as far as bar atmosphere...you have the college bars on University. Then you have the downtown Gainesville area with some bars and nice restaurants. A lot of the tailgating happens in homes on the north side of University Ave.

Thank you everyone for sharing your information. I do appreciate it and you. On a side note, I guess I repressed last year's trip to Rocky Top and failed to mention I have been there, too. We had that game in the bag at halftime, and well, you know the rest of the story. I now know how they get 108k into Neyland. There are not backs to bleacher seats and the seats are maybe 10 inches in width (small). The Vol fans singing, "I've Got Friends in Low Places" was, well, not priceless!! Anyway, wanted to ask everyone their favorite away stadium. I enjoy Vandy and Neyland so far. Vandy and Nashville are just plain nice. GO COCKS!
I did this as a student and some after graduating (visiting all away games possible).

Swamp = great atmosphere and fun tailgating. Welcoming of us Gamecocks when I went. We were invited to join in a tailgate party.

LSU Death Valley- Went to a night game and it was crazy loud. Ate gator tail fried while joining in a tailgate party. Great fans but they became obnoxious as they poured on the points.

Georgia- great little college town. Fun game because we won the years that I went. Bout got into a fight at some country bar after one game. It got a lot rowdy!

Tennessee- hated Neiland stadium. Too tight, too much urnge, and way too much rocky top.

Vandy was nice and Nashville scene was awesome. Best bars by far. Cannot remember the name of the place we stayed at the most back then but it had 3 floors. One dance/house music, one country with line dancing, and one that was just a Coyote Ugly type.

Auburn- got there just in time for the game so no tailgating for me. They were very obnoxious fans as we were being yelled at most of the game.

Clemson- lots of friends there so it was always a good time. Stadium was pretty loud but nothing like LSU’s Death Valley.

NC State- tailgating was cool but nothing SEC style. Fans were great. Not very loud.

Future trips I hope for- Ole Miss and Bama. I would also like to go to the Big House and Notre Dame for a game some time.

I’ve only been to one away game 1996 vs the taters. I did go to the 2018 Outback Bowl with my kids. Had one heck of a good time down there!

GO GAMECCOCKS!
Lock your doors!!!

GO GAMECCOCKS!
Every time you go take a leak, the gators shake their keys at you. Ignore them. Otherwise, I like the town.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT