ADVERTISEMENT

"Fixing" the Carolina-Clemson MBB Game

ipull4usc

Mar 17, 2003
This was a topic on 107.5 The Game this morning, and I strongly agree with the premise. I believe the Carolina-Clemson game has the worst possible placement on the schedule in terms of hype and fan/media interest. Students aren't even in school when this game is being played. How can we fix this? I've said for years that we should make a "Carolina-Clemson Weekend" out of the weekend after Thanksgiving. Instead of just football, have Men's Hoops play on Friday night in the location of the football game. Have the football game on Saturday and then have the Women's game on Sunday. Or... have the Women's Game earlier on Friday (holiday for most people so it could start at around 5) and then have a double header with the men's game later that evening.
If not this, then have this game moved to January or February.

This was a topic on 107.5 The Game this morning, and I strongly agree with the premise. I believe the Carolina-Clemson game has the worst possible placement on the schedule in terms of hype and fan/media interest. Students aren't even in school when this game is being played. How can we fix this? I've said for years that we should make a "Carolina-Clemson Weekend" out of the weekend after Thanksgiving. Instead of just football, have Men's Hoops play on Friday night in the location of the football game. Have the football game on Saturday and then have the Women's game on Sunday. Or... have the Women's Game earlier on Friday (holiday for most people so it could start at around 5) and then have a double header with the men's game later that evening.

No. Just play it twice a year like we used to. Move the first game up to around game #3 or #4. Then game 2 would be in late Jan / early Feb. Students would be in school both games.

SEC and ACC schedulers may not like it, but it is certainly achievable.

Fans want more of the rivalry, not less. This is why it will probably never happen because we would need to give up a riveting non conference matchup with App State or Valdosta School of Art Design or some other school like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockhornleghorn

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...ina/usc-mens-basketball/article190233944.html

I think you have good points. That would be the only way to have any interest during football season. The timing could be better to create interest, but I think the success of the programs will do that better. The game in the middle of conference games is interesting, but it could be argued that the game where it is now gets more exposure because the nonconference schedules are not that great. I think scheduling South Carolina between two ACC teams may be a letdown.

Last edited:
C'mon, its not behind baseball at SC plus baseball doesnt come close to producing the revenue that basketball produces

No. Just play it twice a year like we used to. Move the first game up to around game #3 or #4. Then game 2 would be in late Jan / early Feb. Students would be in school both games.

SEC and ACC schedulers may not like it, but it is certainly achievable.

Fans want more of the rivalry, not less. This is why it will probably never happen because we would need to give up a riveting non conference matchup with App State or Valdosta School of Art Design or some other school like that.
well, you can thank you Tater heads for the schedules we have....they don't want to play us twice, nor during a time when the students are in town....oh but bet you sweet arse, if they were beating us consistently they would want it all....

Fixing, I thought this was about points shaving. We don’t need to play them twice a year. Who does that anywhere, anymore? No rivals I can think of.

Reactions: coolcock2001
The easiest way is to get close to one of the referees. These guys don't make that much and can be bought. Outside of that, I'd look at paying off some of the Clemson players. No I don't like to give money to Clemson athletes but they are used to taking it and could pretty easily influence the outcome of the game

C'mon, its not behind baseball at SC plus baseball doesnt come close to producing the revenue that basketball produces
In this state the baseball series is bigger. Sold out in Columbia , sold out in Greenville, sold out in clemson.

Issues are scheduling. They have scheduled this game during winter break for students for several years. Before that, it was played the day of the football conference championships. Both are horrible times.

I agree with the above posters of two games. However the possibility of a split really sucks but having a home rivalry game annually is a great idea. We could do with one less Western Michigan, Illinois State or Wyoming and add Clem Tech. It’s a no brainer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT