ADVERTISEMENT

For S.C. natives only...

Summerville. Clemson to Auburn (seems there was a Tornado warning every night in the Spring) Athens (Still can’t get the smell of chicken trucks out of my nose even a decade later, also explains my hatred of THUGA) Augusta (aka Disgusta - fertilizer plant south of town really help set the mood on those warm Summer mornings where the wind was from the south) Back home to Summerville.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Summerville. Clemson to Auburn (seems there was a Tornado warning every night in the Spring) Athens (Still can’t get the smell of chicken trucks out of my nose even a decade later, also explains my hatred of THUGA) Augusta (aka Disgusta - fertilizer plant south of town really help set the mood on those warm Summer mornings where the wind was from the south) Back home to Summerville.

Summerville is a Man's town. Those boys would bring it.

Spartanburg by way of Florence, Columbia, and Greenville.
No insult to you at all here, but you're really a "SparkleCity" native now, and Lord knows some of us LOVE THE BEACON!!!!

In fact, I'm due for trip to SparkleCity JUST to hit The Beacon!!

Gaim

Reactions: Cock In Space
No insult to you at all here, but you're really a "SparkleCity" native now, and Lord knows some of us LOVE THE BEACON!!!!

Gaim
I was born and raised in Sparkle City. When I first moved to Charleston I drove back several times the first month for a hash a plenty. That’s the truth.

Since this week is open, let's try and have fun.
Where are you now and where has life taken you?
I have lived in Lancaster since 1971. I was born in Columbia and have lived in S.C my entire life. My mom was a teacher and my Dad a public school administrator, retiring as a district superintendent. Since birth, I have lived in Winnsboro, Ridgeway, Westville in Kershaw County, Georgetown for six years, Pickens County briefly, Florence for about a year, Fort Lawn in Chester County, Columbia while attending USC and during the early days of my marriage, and finally settled in Lancaster, my wife's hometown.

Gaim
Growing up went to the Beacon time to time and it was really good. Went about four years ago and it was so greasy I could not eat anything. I mean everything was dripping with grease. It was never health foot, but last time I went if was just a huge pile of greasy fries plopped on a greasy hamburger.

When in Spartanburg, I prefer Wades or City Range.
I was in Greenville the other day and ate at "Greenfields Bagel Shoppe" OMG was that the best bagel with chicken salad on it. True Jewish deli's like this are hard to find.
My fav coffee shop is in Pickens, "coyote coffee" I had the black bear latte made of Sugar Free Chocolate syrup, Sugar Free White Chocolate Syrup, and Sugar Free whipped topping. Man was it good. They have a location in Powdersville and Easley if i'm not mistaken, but I love the shop in downtown Pickens.
Anybody ever been to the Hare and Hound in Landrum? They have a really good tuna melt that I love.

Reactions: Cock In Space
According to Google Maps, 4.5 miles from where I grew up in Travelers Rest. I've never had a home where I couldn't look out a window and see Paris Mountain.

I live at the base of Paris Mtn on the TR/Taylors side, down the street from Northside Park off of State Park rd. Walk out my back door and I'm looking up at Paris Mtn. Ride my mountain bike there 3-4 times a week like I have for the past 25+ years. Been here all of my life.

Since this week is open, let's try and have fun.
Where are you now and where has life taken you?

From my beloved Greenville, SC to Tigersville, SC to Johnson City, Tn, back to Greenville, SC to Grover's Corners, NH (really a small town in WNC). Not really Grover's Corners but if one had never been to the town I live in WNC I would tell them to read Our Town by Thornton Wilder and the play would describe exactly where I live. Although, I must admit it was all for the better from a personal standpoint as well as a financial standpoint for both me and the girl I met in Greenville, SC that later became my wife.

Last edited:
Grew up in Charleston
To Columbia for the university of South Carolina
Brief stop in San Diego
Navy flight school Pensacola FL
Whidbey island Washington (Seattle)
Ventura California
Sacramento California
Palm Springs California
San Francisco California
San Jose California where I live now

I miss South Carolina terribly and visit as much as possible but married a California girl and I do love it here- all the wackiness aside.

I’ve been around as you can see. I can tell you South Carolina is a great great place to be.

Grew up in Barnwell, college in Columbia and now my wife and I live in Jasper County about 15 miles from Bluffton. Don't see myself leaving this area as I'm 40 minutes or less to HHI, Beaufort, Bluffton, Pooler, Savannah, and Rincon, plus only an hour and a half from Charleston and less than two from Jacksonville. Living less than 15 minutes to a saltwater boat landing is the place for me.

'67-'74 Camden
'75-76 Dothan, AL
76-77 Anniston, AL (Attended the only other university with a Gamecock as their mascot...Jacksonville State)
77-83 Rock Hill/Columbia (Lived in both cities while attending USC through Graduate School and beyond-work related)
83-Current (North Carolina)
Since Retirement in 2010
Hawaii (about 10+ hours by air...never again)
Las Vegas (3) and Hoover Dam (1) Nevada
Mont Tremblant (1), Quebec City (1), and Montreal (1) Canada
Grand Canyon (2), Phoenix(4), and Sedona (2) Arizona
Mount Rushmore (2), Deadwood(1), and the Badlands (1) South Dakota
Little Big Horn (1) Montana
Yellowstone (1) and the Grand Teton National Park (1) Wyoming
Denver (1) and the Rocky Mountains (1) (Colorado)
Rose Bowl (1) (Stanford defeated Iowa)

I left Columbia in 1983 with no regrets. I enjoyed my time in school and would not change where I graduated from...The University of South Carolina has always been and will always be in Columbia. Tweet that Dat-Boy!

Last edited:
Born in Baptist Hospital while living in Gadsden. From there to West Cola for 6 years then to Sumter for 2 years. Moved to Rossville, Ga for a couple years and then jumped across the border to Chattanooga, TN and lived there for about 10 years. Headed back to SC and lived in Greenville for 2 years and then Clemson (gasp!) for 7 years and finally to Charleston for about 3 years. Married into the Navy and headed to Japan for a couple years. Now in the DC area for the past 5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT