ADVERTISEMENT

For S.C. natives only...

Grew up in Conway, lived in Myrtle Beach many years until 1999 moved to Gainesville Florida for my first wife to go to graduate school. She left and I'm still here. Have a family here now and make too much money to go home for a while. Making plans to get back to Horry county in the next couple of years.

Reactions: adversary2
Lancaster, Columbia, Lexington, Gilbert.
Corporate America to self employed.
Cool and social to boring and introverted
Very in shape half marathons and athletic to surgeries, out of shape and tired

I do have a nice house in the country so not all is bad.

Born in Spartanburg, lived in Columbia as a student at The University of South Carolina, moved to Greenville then Charleston last 23 years.

As they say I’m South Carolina born, South Carolina bred and when they bury my bones I’ll be South Carolina dead.

And I’m good with that!

Reactions: Cock In Space
We are probably related. Or, at least, we have met. My mother was a Rion from Winnsboro. I grew up going to Lake Wateree in the summers. My grandfather's family owned several thousand acres on or near Dutchman's Creek and Taylor's Creek. My great uncle owned a farm on Longtown Road just outside of Ridgeway. Just about everyone buried in the cemetery by St. Stephens Episcopal Church is an ancestor. Thomas' Store on Main St. was owned by relatives. I practiced law in Georgetown for 12 years before moving to Pawleys Mainland.

Small world.
I was a small boy when we were in Winnsboro. It's the first place I ever remember living. We lived in a garage apartment owned by Mr. Ruff, who had the Ford dealership. Dad taught at Mt. Zion and Mom commuted to Great Falls to teach high school math over there. Then Dad got the superintendency of the little district in Ridgeway and we lived in the big old brick house next to the old high school for four years, I believe. The house still stands - but is unoccupied - but the school is gone except for the archway of the front door. I remember going into Thomas' store and went to kindergarten with Lollie (sp.)Thomas. After four years in Kershaw County, we moved to Georgetown. In Georgetown, my Dad was principal of Winyah Jr. High School for six years beginning in '61-'62. We lived in the Kensington community.

King Ward,
I went to school at Baron DeKalb and later North Central. If you lived in Westville, you almost definitely know some of my relatives or at least know some of the same people even if that was way back when. Do you remember any Catoe's who owned the old store? That was my family. I think at one time my Aunt worked the fire tower. I didn't arrive in the area until about 1971 when I was a baby. I work in Lancaster now.

Reactions: king ward
My father was a gambler down in Georgia.
He wound up on the wrong end of a gun.
And I was born in the back seat of a Greyhound bus
Rollin' down highway forty-one.
Lord, I was born a ramblin' man.
Tryin' to make a livin' and doin' the best I can.
And when it's time for leavin'
I hope you'll understand
That I was born a ramblin' man.
I'm on my way to New Orleans this mornin'
I'm leavin' out of Nashville, Tennessee.
They're always having a good time down on the bayou.
Lord, them Delta women think the world of me.

King Ward,
I went to school at Baron DeKalb and later North Central. If you lived in Westville, you almost definitely know some of my relatives or at least know some of the same people even if that was way back when. Do you remember any Catoe's who owned the old store? That was my family. I think at one time my Aunt worked the fire tower. I didn't arrive in the area until about 1971 when I was a baby. I work in Lancaster now.
There were a lot of Catoes in that community. Also a lot of Truesdales. I remember the store. Mr. Howard Etters had a store and was postmaster. My Dad played golf in Kershaw with him. We attended Bethany Baptist church in Westville.

Born in Lexington and graduated Lexington High 1995
Antioch, TN
Enlisted in the Navy 1996, then off to Great Lakes, Illinois, followed by:
Pensacola, FL
Whidbey Island, WA
Back to Lexington (Graduated from USC 2004)
Back to Pensacola, FL / flight school
Milton, FL, / flight school
Kingsville, TX / flight school
Lemoore, CA
Virginia Beach, VA
Currently Kingsville, TX (Plan on retiring after this tour. Will put me at 26 years doing things I could have never dreamed of.

Been a long career in the Navy. 5 aircraft carrier deployments, equalling 4 years at sea. I can't tell how much it sucked when I was deployed during football season. But, once the aircraft carriers final got satellite TV, life was much better. Though, with the time difference, I found myself up at 3 am watching Carolina(when they were televised on the national brands). My roommates hated me on Saturdays!!

Born in Lexington and graduated Lexington High 1995
Antioch, TN
Enlisted in the Navy 1996, then off to Great Lakes, Illinois, followed by:
Pensacola, FL
Whidbey Island, WA
Back to Lexington (Graduated from USC 2004)
Back to Pensacola, FL / flight school
Milton, FL, / flight school
Kingsville, TX / flight school
Lemoore, CA
Virginia Beach, VA
Currently Kingsville, TX (Plan on retiring after this tour. Will put me at 26 years doing things I could have never dreamed of.

Been a long career in the Navy. 5 aircraft carrier deployments, equalling 4 years at sea. I can't tell how much it sucked when I was deployed during football season. But, once the aircraft carriers final got satellite TV, life was much better. Though, with the time difference, I found myself up at 3 am watching Carolina(when they were televised on the national brands). My roommates hated me on Saturdays!!
Than you for your service.

Born in Darlington there for 7 years,2nd and third grade in Columbia (for a couple of McGuire's best years), in Greenville when McGuire and crew won the ACC through HS, then back in Columbia for a degree, the TX, and now GA. Took me from in HS being told I could not take college prep class because I did not have the mental ability to get in a college let alone finish to earning a PhD and teaching in a college.
"Lately it occurs to me, What a long strange trip it's been"

Born in Darlington there for 7 years,2nd and third grade in Columbia (for a couple of McGuire's best years), in Greenville when McGuire and crew won the ACC through HS, then back in Columbia for a degree, the TX, and now GA. Took me from in HS being told I could not take college prep class because I did not have the mental ability to get in a college let alone finish to earning a PhD and teaching in a college.
"Lately it occurs to me, What a long strange trip it's been"

First post?
I am honored.

Reactions: usc-lurker
When in Spartanburg, I prefer Wades or City Range.
I was in Greenville the other day and ate at "Greenfields Bagel Shoppe" OMG was that the best bagel with chicken salad on it. True Jewish deli's like this are hard to find.
My fav coffee shop is in Pickens, "coyote coffee" I had the black bear latte made of Sugar Free Chocolate syrup, Sugar Free White Chocolate Syrup, and Sugar Free whipped topping. Man was it good. They have a location in Powdersville and Easley if i'm not mistaken, but I love the shop in downtown Pickens.
Anybody ever been to the Hare and Hound in Landrum? They have a really good tuna melt that I love.

Do they have the Kosher pickles on the table?
Check this place out next time in NYC. Used to eat here every day...It's my favorite.
https://sargesdeli.com

Grew up in Barnwell, college in Columbia and now my wife and I live in Jasper County about 15 miles from Bluffton. Don't see myself leaving this area as I'm 40 minutes or less to HHI, Beaufort, Bluffton, Pooler, Savannah, and Rincon, plus only an hour and a half from Charleston and less than two from Jacksonville. Living less than 15 minutes to a saltwater boat landing is the place for me.
My dad's family was from that area. Were you around during the Sol Blatt, Edgar Brown, or James Brown years?

From my beloved Greenville, SC to Tigersville, SC to Johnson City, Tn, back to Greenville, SC to Grover's Corners, NH (really a small town in WNC). Not really Grover's Corners but if one had never been to the town I live in WNC I would tell them to read Our Town by Thornton Wilder and the play would describe exactly where I live. Although, I must admit it was all for the better from a personal standpoint as well as a financial standpoint for both me and the girl I met in Greenville, SC that later became my wife.

Freddie.B. blessed...

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I was a small boy when we were in Winnsboro. It's the first place I ever remember living. We lived in a garage apartment owned by Mr. Ruff, who had the Ford dealership. Dad taught at Mt. Zion and Mom commuted to Great Falls to teach high school math over there. Then Dad got the superintendency of the little district in Ridgeway and we lived in the big old brick house next to the old high school for four years, I believe. The house still stands - but is unoccupied - but the school is gone except for the archway of the front door. I remember going into Thomas' store and went to kindergarten with Lollie (sp.)Thomas. After four years in Kershaw County, we moved to Georgetown. In Georgetown, my Dad was principal of Winyah Jr. High School for six years beginning in '61-'62. We lived in the Kensington community.
I worked in Winnsboro in 1977

There were a lot of Catoes in that community. Also a lot of Truesdales. I remember the store. Mr. Howard Etters had a store and was postmaster. My Dad played golf in Kershaw with him. We attended Bethany Baptist church in Westville.
That's where I went to church. If you know where the dirt road is that went by the church, you go to the other end of it and take a right and I grew up right there. Old Georgetown Rd.

I am from North Disgusta. After Carolina I went to Marine OCS and lived in Quantico, VA for a year. Then California, Japan and Korea. I was transferred to North Carolina. I was in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, Israel, France, Italy, Turkey, Portugal, Greece and Spain. Got out of the USMC after eight years and have lived in Dallas, North Carolina again, Hilton Head and now Atlanta. In four more years we move to our condo in Sunny Isles Beach, FL for semi-retirement.

Grew up in Charleston
To Columbia for the university of South Carolina
Brief stop in San Diego
Navy flight school Pensacola FL
Whidbey island Washington (Seattle)
Ventura California
Sacramento California
Palm Springs California
San Francisco California
San Jose California where I live now

I miss South Carolina terribly and visit as much as possible but married a California girl and I do love it here- all the wackiness aside.

I’ve been around as you can see. I can tell you South Carolina is a great great place to be.

Yes. I complain about S.C. all of the time here, but defend it to the death with outsiders. Still miss her and it will always be home. Had the opportunity to move to NoCal some years back, but wife nipped that in the bud.

Reactions: ken in sacramento

Sounds like we missed each other growing up. (I'm 66 so we're close to the same age.) My Great Grandfather (Rion) had something to do with Mt. Zion Academy, but not sure what exactly. My Grandfather used to tease me that he was going to make me go to school there. In those days it was a tough school academically.

My Grandmother played bridge at the old country club in Winnsboro, and we went to the ARP Church in Winnsboro in the summers. I think I know the house you are referring to in Ridgeway, and I do know the column/arch you referred to. I have not been up there since June, but it was still standing then. I can't remember if the school burned or just collapsed.

My middle name is Thomas. Just about every gravestone in the church yard has the name Thomas on it. The Thomas family moved to Ridgeway, Charleston and Columbia in the 1880s. One of them was a Bishop in the Episcopal Church. For several generations they had a plantation called Betaw on the Santee River outside of St. Stephens. They could no longer work the land profitably and sold it. I didn't know the Thomas' family in Ridgeway that well, but we shopped there occasionally for hunting clothes - and my grandmother bought me a pair of sneakers (Keds or PF Flyers) when I was about 10 so I would have shoes to hike in at Lake Wateree.

You are talking about the High School on Highmarket Street in Georgetown that was vacant for a long time? That was a beautiful piece of architecture (columns in the front) that was very run down. I think it was finally restored and used for something else. I lived in Georgetown from 1987 until 1994 and then moved to Pawleys Island.

...You are talking about the High School on Highmarket Street in Georgetown that was vacant for a long time? That was a beautiful piece of architecture (columns in the front) that was very run down. I think it was finally restored and used for something else. I lived in Georgetown from 1987 until 1994 and then moved to Pawleys Island.
What remained after fire destroyed Winyah High School - I believe in 1984 - was the Jr. high school where my Dad was once the principal. It contained a beautiful old auditorium that both schools used. It has since been beautifully restored and is used as a civic auditorium. Of course, all school activities left that site a long time ago.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Greenville to Simpsonville to Mauldin back to Greenville. In Taylor’s to Greer to Travelers Rest back in Greenville. Let’s just say I’ve lived in the Greater Greenville area all 52 years of my life!

Reactions: SCspur1
Am sure you have led a rich life.
Thanks Cock, if you consider living in Europe, the Middle East and Africa as a rich life, I have lived it. In truth I enjoyed it all now as I look back from my old age.
As for Augusta, Georgia, my wife was raised there and attended the University of Georgia, and I hold that place as special in my memories. We never went back after we were married except to make obligatory visits to her family so that may tell you something about our lack of fidelity to place.

I read once that two old men in Augusta were discussing Heaven and about how it might be for them when they arrived there. After some long, thoughtful consideration, one responded, "Well, I think it would be a lot like Georgia".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT