ADVERTISEMENT

For Those on Here that Crap on Columbia 24/7...

So my daughter lives in downtown Greenville and we were up there a few weeks ago. There were homeless people sleeping on the steps of one of the churches there. Greenville people remind me of Texans. Everything is bigger and better there.... in their minds.
That's true....and be careful in Fall's Park, especially in the evening. It can be a much less tranquil place. I think the West Side of GVL is still pretty rough and Whitehorse Road area definitely is.

The thing is that EVERY town has it's good and bad. Those that act like *insert town not named Columbia* doesn't have the same problems Columbia does are just trying to make themselves feel better about their own town.

Let's not forget that Greenville was on Live PD for a while too, and it wasn't all sunshine and roses.

HOUSTALANAVEGAS .....................
(Particular not a lot of love for Houston)

Wow, you saw homeless people sleeping on church steps in Greenville and you equate that to Texans thinking. You’ve got it wrong. Columbia is making progress and I’m glad, but Columbia is far behind Greenville in the downtown area. I wish Columbia had more upscale restaurants somewhere downtown or Vista. Diane’s on Devine and the Oak Table were nice restaurants that are closed now. Why? We go to Blue Marlin a lot when in Columbia because that and Cola’s are the only 2 we like. I’ve lived in Greenville, Columbia and Charleston. Greenville is 2nd in the state for good restaurants to Charleston. The difference is that the restaurants in Charleston are there for tourists for the most part and Greenville restaurants are for locals mostly.
Greenville? Fine dining? Where? Surely not Rick Erwin's....pricey but not that good. I can get a better steak at the Strip Club in Greer than at the West End Grill....and his seafood restaurant is blah...it would go out of business fast in Bluffton/HHI.

Greenville? Fine dining? Where? Surely not Rick Erwin's....pricey but not that good. I can get a better steak at the Strip Club in Greer than at the West End Grill....and his seafood restaurant is blah...it would go out of business fast in Bluffton/HHI.

Skins Hot Dogs, and Petes on Augusta Rd.

Reactions: rogue cock
Soby’s, Hall’s Chophouse, Ruth’s Chris (2) Chophouse 47, Larkin’s on the River, Lazy Goat, Augusta Grill, Husk, Jianna, Davani’s, Roost, Da Vinci’s, Northampton Wine Cafe, Ristorante Bargamo and Trattoria Giorgio to name some. By the way all of Rick Erwin’s are good restaurants.

Soby’s, Hall’s Chophouse, Ruth’s Chris (2) Chophouse 47, Larkin’s on the River, Lazy Goat, Augusta Grill, Husk, Jianna, Davani’s, Roost, Da Vinci’s, Northampton Wine Cafe, Ristorante Bargamo and Trattoria Giorgio to name some. By the way all of Rick Erwin’s are good restaurants.
The guy who owns Soby's worked at Hudson's on HHI for a while....it's okay. Hall's is a Charleston restaurant. Chophouse 47? No. Da Vinci's is okay. Augusta Grill is good. Ristorante Bergamo is good, but noisy. Rick Erwin's are not that good....as I said, they are pricey...but easy to find better alternative's. Charlie's used to be the best steakhouse in Greenville....and it beat the pants off Rick Erwin's. I'll have to try a few of the others you mentioned when I get back up that way.

No
Wow, you saw homeless people sleeping on church steps in Greenville and you equate that to Texans thinking. You’ve got it wrong. Columbia is making progress and I’m glad, but Columbia is far behind Greenville in the downtown area. I wish Columbia had more upscale restaurants somewhere downtown or Vista. Diane’s on Devine and the Oak Table were nice restaurants that are closed now. Why? We go to Blue Marlin a lot when in Columbia because that and Cola’s are the only 2 we like. I’ve lived in Greenville, Columbia and Charleston. Greenville is 2nd in the state for good restaurants to Charleston. The difference is that the restaurants in Charleston are there for tourists for the most part and Greenville restaurants are for locals mostly.

No, I equated Greenville RESIDENTS way of thinking to the people of Texas' way of thinking.
In most of their minds, their $hit dont stink if they poop in their city but everywhere else is a pile of it.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article214423524.html

COLUMBIA, SC

The word is out about Columbia's Main Street.

It's cool (if not a liiiiiittle hot). It's artistic. It's tasty. And it's ... cute, according to Fodor's Travel Guide.

Fodor's, a longstanding look-to for global travel and tourism information, listed Columbia's Main Street among its "America's 25 Cutest Main Streets in Small(er) Towns."

"Don your little black dress and head out for the evening on Columbia’s buzzing Main Street. Say what?" Fodor's writes. "Yes, indeed, locals are quick to tell you that just five years ago it wasn’t like that. For years this neighborhood wallowed in despondency, until one by one, the businesses started coming, so now there’s something going on both night and day."

The guide highlights Soda City Market, Mast General Store, the Nickelodeon theater, Indie Grits film festival, the Columbia Museum of Art, The Grand boutique bowling alley, Lula Drake Wine Parlour, and restaurants Bourbon, Good Life Cafe and the now-closed Oak Table (RIP).

Main Street has experienced several years of striking revitalization, sparked in large part by Soda City, Mast General Store, the Nick and The Hub — a tower of more than 800 apartments rented to college students, who have brought their energy to the once-lethargic downtown — all of which are new additions since 2011.

The heart of downtown Columbia has gone from being a 9-to-5 business center only a decade ago to a nearly 24/7 destination, with lively sidewalks, regular festivals, public art and a still-growing array of restaurants and stores.

Columbia is in the company of places such as Walla Walla, Wash.;, Rockland, Maine; Sylva, N.C.; Albuquerque, N.M.; and Augusta, Ga., (hi, neighbor!) on Fodor's list.

"Cutest" Main Street is the latest in a string of recent national nods to Columbia's downtown, including highlights by Thrillist ("Cities You Should Visit Before They're Too Popular"), Garden & Gun and Food and Wine ("One of America's Best New Food Destinations") magazines

Walla Walla, Wash:) well, u can hit the downtown tastin' rooms before 10am

The last place we ate in Greenville was Roost. Awesome setup, pretty good food, but basically a $15 burger, and $100 for 4 with 2 kids and tip. I’d put Mr. Friendly’s or Bourbon or even that newish place War Mouth on Franklin (near Cottontown) and isn’t fine dining, up against Roost. Outstanding beer list, and food. As for the homeless they always end up back downtown. Transit runs there from everywhere, and no one walking Main is seeing Transitions, maybe Oliver Gospel. As far as bad areas, I delivered for a Chinese hole in school, and there isn’t a place in Columbia they didn’t go (good or bad). Allen Benedict was probably the closest to the city. The others: Arthurtown, Bailey Rd, Gonz Gardens, anything on N Main past Sunset, etc....etc....etc.....they ain’t going downtown, and no walkers in the nice part of Main will ever see them. Basically, the bad areas are not near any revitalization. As far as the river, they are building a brewery/pub near those Quonset hut looking things off Knox Abbott I believe. Columbia is moving forward

Perhaps you should take a trip to Greenville to see how a REAL city operates. You don't see homeless shelters downtown or homeless vagrants walking the streets panhandling for money and accosting people.

These vagrants totally destroy a city. I work right in the middle of it. Have you ever had to be careful walking up your steps to work so that you don't step in human shit? They trash the streets and parking lots with tons of litter thrown everywhere with everything from malt liquor cans, to fast food trash, to used condoms. I even caught one of these derelicts on our porch one weekend sitting up against the wall jacking off? Are these the people you think we should just let roam our streets and do whatever they want? Is this what we should have to put up with to "have a little compassion"? This is the reason Columbia is so far behind and why it is difficult to have good development downtown. Why don't they relocate these shelters out of the main business district? Perhaps in a more industrial area along I-20 in north Columbia, or off I-77 in the area of Bluff/Shop Rds? You can have compassion and provide these services without being STUPID about it. Right now our leaders are just STUPID.
I have worked on Main Street for 26 years and have never seen anything like you've described. And there's plenty of development downtown. Not sure what part you've been frequenting.

I have worked on Main Street for 26 years and have never seen anything like you've described. And there's plenty of development downtown. Not sure what part you've been frequenting.

Then perhaps you should open your eyes more. Its been going on for a long time. I used to work in Jefferson Square a long time ago and on several occasions got on the elevator in the parking garage and there would be human feces inside the elevator. I still work in the same area and have seen it on the steps to our building. You would literally have to be blind to not notice the untold amount of trash and garbage left behind by these scum. Surely if you have been down Assembly St in the past year you've had to have seen the fencing that has been erected around the old Russell-Jeffcoat building. I'm certainly not making this up. You can go down there right now and see it. Yesterday I did notice a large trash bag full of trash behind that building on Calhoun St where someone had cleaned up a lot of the debris along the sidewalk. I would guess that will not last long. The Bob Capes building on Park St is totally trashed. It's all there for you to see. How in the world can you even miss it????? If you don't believe me go look for yourself.

Then perhaps you should open your eyes more. Its been going on for a long time. I used to work in Jefferson Square a long time ago and on several occasions got on the elevator in the parking garage and there would be human feces inside the elevator. I still work in the same area and have seen it on the steps to our building. You would literally have to be blind to not notice the untold amount of trash and garbage left behind by these scum. Surely if you have been down Assembly St in the past year you've had to have seen the fencing that has been erected around the old Russell-Jeffcoat building. I'm certainly not making this up. You can go down there right now and see it. Yesterday I did notice a large trash bag full of trash behind that building on Calhoun St where someone had cleaned up a lot of the debris along the sidewalk. I would guess that will not last long. The Bob Capes building on Park St is totally trashed. It's all there for you to see. How in the world can you even miss it????? If you don't believe me go look for yourself.

In your posts, you keep referencing a more confined area than the rest of us. You appear to be centering around the Park/Calhoun/Assembly area, as you have mentioned it quite a bit. It is understandable if that is where your office is located. (FTR, I work at Main/Calhoun/Richland/Assembly, and have not experienced any of what you say you have - again right across Calhoun from Transitions.) I'm sorry you have had bad experiences, but there is no reason to insult the rest of us who have had nothing but pleasant experiences in the same area since the inception of, and during this continued, revitalization of Main Street.

Just a suggestion, but if you get out and see what's going on along the entire Main Street corridor, it's very nice, and you might actually enjoy it. If not, so be it. You're the one missing out in that case. Good day.

I am not going to tear down Greenville (where I am from) or Charleston (where I have a condo) to make Columbia (where I live) look better. Columbia can stand on its own without that. Just like Greenville and Charleston can. However, I have never understood completely why certain people from Charleston and Greenville like to continuously stomp on the neighbor. I know that Columbia was essentially planned by people in the low country and foothills arguing about a capital city, but that was a long time ago. The history of the city is well known, and the struggles it has faced since the Civil War. All the development from the 50's onward was towards the suburbs. It was not until recently that money moved back into the city itself. For the record, it was easier to clean up 8-10 blocks in Greenville (originally planned by Mayor Bill Workman....with an assist from Carol Campbell) than to clean up a city the size of Columbia from 5 points to the river. It obviously took a little longer but the results are finally showing up. As for Charleston, half the people who live there never stopped in Columbia when driving down from Ohio. My local friends from there enjoy visiting Columbia and happily admit that the city looks great.

As USC fans, you should all be excited about the developments that our in progress and planned. It makes the flagship University better, just as USC makes Columbia better. Tbh, the people I hear dissing Columbia, usually have a secondary gain.

Either way, the best is yet to come. I cannot wait for the riverfront to be fully developed. The property values are soaring in Forest Acres and places like Heathwood and Kings Grant. I know several people who purchased condos on the river and have already occupied them as they downsized. Most of the Shandon houses have been updated. Good luck getting a good deal without a housing market implosion. Those neighborhoods in Cayce are going to be revamped over the next few decades as well. Somebody is going to get paid.

Which as a USC fan, makes me happy.

I am not going to tear down Greenville (where I am from) or Charleston (where I have a condo) to make Columbia (where I live) look better. Columbia can stand on its own without that. Just like Greenville and Charleston can. However, I have never understood completely why certain people from Charleston and Greenville like to continuously stomp on the neighbor. I know that Columbia was essentially planned by people in the low country and foothills arguing about a capital city, but that was a long time ago. The history of the city is well known, and the struggles it has faced since the Civil War. All the development from the 50's onward was towards the suburbs. It was not until recently that money moved back into the city itself. For the record, it was easier to clean up 8-10 blocks in Greenville (originally planned by Mayor Bill Workman....with an assist from Carol Campbell) than to clean up a city the size of Columbia from 5 points to the river. It obviously took a little longer but the results are finally showing up. As for Charleston, half the people who live there never stopped in Columbia when driving down from Ohio. My local friends from there enjoy visiting Columbia and happily admit that the city looks great.

As USC fans, you should all be excited about the developments that our in progress and planned. It makes the flagship University better, just as USC makes Columbia better. Tbh, the people I hear dissing Columbia, usually have a secondary gain.

Either way, the best is yet to come. I cannot wait for the riverfront to be fully developed. The property values are soaring in Forest Acres and places like Heathwood and Kings Grant. I know several people who purchased condos on the river and have already occupied them as they downsized. Most of the Shandon houses have been updated. Good luck getting a good deal without a housing market implosion. Those neighborhoods in Cayce are going to be revamped over the next few decades as well. Somebody is going to get paid.

This guy gets it. I just want to add that Rosewood, yes Rosewood, home values are soaring. I've had my house a year and a half, and I could sell it right now for 30k more than I paid for it. I'm all for the city's initiative to make this a nice place to live. Those that downplay it, and/or the Fireflies, are probably tater fans or just live in a rabbit hole and resist change.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

/\ THIS

If I didn't know any better, I'd say different cities have different qualities that can be judged differently by different people.

All I know is this: I loved raising my family in Columbia. Whatever shortcomings the city has, they were more than outweighed by the positives. I've never lived in Greenville or Charleston, and I'm sure I'd enjoy myself there too, but I wouldn't trade my experiences in Columbia for anything.

Reactions: Cybercock
In your posts, you keep referencing a more confined area than the rest of us. You appear to be centering around the Park/Calhoun/Assembly area, as you have mentioned it quite a bit. It is understandable if that is where your office is located. (FTR, I work at Main/Calhoun/Richland/Assembly, and have not experienced any of what you say you have - again right across Calhoun from Transitions.) I'm sorry you have had bad experiences, but there is no reason to insult the rest of us who have had nothing but pleasant experiences in the same area since the inception of, and during this continued, revitalization of Main Street.

Just a suggestion, but if you get out and see what's going on along the entire Main Street corridor, it's very nice, and you might actually enjoy it. If not, so be it. You're the one missing out in that case. Good day.

No, I also mentioned Finlay park. I also mentioned my wife being harrassed and cursed in the Vista. The corner of Hampton and Huger is bad also with the panhandlers. It is even a racket going on there. I've seen guys with homemade signs begging for money and a van pull up and he got on and another guy got off to take his "shift". I had a family member who was a police officer in Columbia and he quit to work for Lex County Sheriff's Dept mainly because of this. He had downtown patrol and sometimes Harbison where there is also a huge problem. I've also been accosted further downtown along Main St when walking at lunch.

It is so obvious that the only conclusion that I can come to is that you and a couple others on here are very disingenuous about the matter and pretend you see no problem, when it is so prevalent you cannot possibly miss it.

Who the hail is panhandling at Hampton and Huger? I used to work in the Congaree Building, and even walking that area at lunch was taking your life in your hands. From traffic, not people

Perhaps you should take a trip to Greenville to see how a REAL city operates. You don't see homeless shelters downtown or homeless vagrants walking the streets panhandling for money and accosting people.

These vagrants totally destroy a city. I work right in the middle of it. Have you ever had to be careful walking up your steps to work so that you don't step in human shit? They trash the streets and parking lots with tons of litter thrown everywhere with everything from malt liquor cans, to fast food trash, to used condoms. I even caught one of these derelicts on our porch one weekend sitting up against the wall jacking off? Are these the people you think we should just let roam our streets and do whatever they want? Is this what we should have to put up with to "have a little compassion"? This is the reason Columbia is so far behind and why it is difficult to have good development downtown. Why don't they relocate these shelters out of the main business district? Perhaps in a more industrial area along I-20 in north Columbia, or off I-77 in the area of Bluff/Shop Rds? You can have compassion and provide these services without being STUPID about it. Right now our leaders are just STUPID.
Sounds like San Francisco

I used to work downtown. Does anyone remember the Elite Epicurean?

Used to go to lunch there quite often....either there or Hennessy's.

When I was a USC student, I used to go in there late at night with friends from the university. When I first got married and was living in Columbia, my wife and I used to go there as well. I thought it was very good back in the "day".

Reactions: rogue cock
Main Street is also getting a Top Golf Swing Suite this fall that was just announced today. Thought that was fitting to add since Columbia sucks so bad and has nothing going for it. Can't figure out why businesses continue to move here. It's like they know more than the closet tigers posting on FGF or something.

Do not give money to homeless folks in Columbia. There are many service agencies that provide for their needs. Most are homeless due to their mental illness and/or addiction and they choose to live that lifestyle. Giving them money means they don't have to participate in a structured program which requires them to meet certain goals.

The number of homeless has escalated since commitment laws changed in the 1970's. You can no longer hospitalize a person with mental illness for any length of time unless they are deemed to be a danger to self or others. So basically you can't treat people against their will. Mental health hospitals have few in-patients compared to the past because they're now living on our streets and under our bridges.

Reactions: Cybercock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT