ADVERTISEMENT

For you guys pimping Herman.....

If only Nick Saban and Les Miles were rednecks, they might actually be able to recruit the South and win.

Uh, Les Miles' father was a truck driver named Bubba. I'm serious.

And Saban was born a West Virginia hillbilly.

http://blog.al.com/chatter/2009/12/retro_edition_looking_back_at.html

This slice of Saban's childhood world might well be described as down in a hollow, where state road 218 charts a northwest track from Route 19 toward the tiny communities of Idamay and Farmington, which is Manchin's hometown.

It's out in the country, out in the sticks, a place so swallowed up by mountains and remoteness that a cell phone is nothing more than a paperweight.

So why do you think Saban is paying Smart 1.5 million a year? I'm guessing it's not because Saban believes Smart can teach him anything about defense. No, it's mainly because Smart has the recruiting ties that Saban doesn't.

Why did Meyer retain Charlie Strong on his staff? Because Strong is great recruiter in Florida.

If Saban and Meyer think it's important, then it might be important.
"Ties" only mean something to close-minded folks who are scared they, or people they support, won't be accepted as part of some good ol' boy society. If he was coming here from Addis Ababa, I would understand.

"Ties" only mean something to close-minded folks who are scared they, or people they support, won't be accepted as part of some good ol' boy society. If he was coming here from Addis Ababa, I would understand.

Stop being an self-hating southerner. Every AD in the country looks for the right "fit" in a coach. Kyle Whittingham is a Mormon from Utah. Brian Kelly is an Irish Catholic from the Northeast. Harbaugh is a "Michigan Man." Art Briles is 60 and he has never coached once out of the state of Texas. Mike Gundy is a man, in case you didn't know, who's spent nearly his entire life in Oklahoma. The list goes on.

Reactions: gamecockblack
He has ZERO ties down south for recruiting in our area.....zero.

He has only coached 7 games against the likes of Tulsa, Louisville UCF etc.

Recruiting is our number 1 priority.... Herman would not hit the ground running here.

Recruiting is our number 1 priority.... Herman would not hit the ground running here.[/QUOTE
You are correct, he would not hit the ground running. More like a sprint.

Stop being an self-hating southerner. Every AD in the country looks for the right "fit" in a coach. Kyle Whittingham is a Mormon from Utah. Brian Kelly is an Irish Catholic from the Northeast. Harbaugh is a "Michigan Man." Art Briles is 60 and he has never coached once out of the state of Texas. Mike Gundy is a man, in case you didn't know, who's spent nearly his entire life in Oklahoma. The list goes on.
So, who we got you wanna hire?

Herman will absolutely nail recruiting whether his next job is West Coast, East Coast, North or South. Talent and ability have no borders. He builds his program around recruiting 24/7 and branding his team product. Herman is like Urban in that he will recruit anywhere at a top level. Add in that he develops QB's, has a dynamic offense and the ability to assemble a very good Dstaff and I wonder why everyone else doesn't see this as a slam dunk hire if we can pull it off. He would attract talent, plenty of it.

Agree...and if he hires the right assistants he could have a long established SC/NC network already built up. One that Clemson couldn't break until certain coaches left.

Herman is as intense and determined a man as there is coaching in the United States. Whatever it takes to do the job he'll do. There is no downside to him, certainly not he where came from.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Herman is as intense and determined a man as there is coaching in the United States. Whatever it takes to do the job he'll do. There is no downside to him, certainly not he where came from.

Do you think I don't want Herman just because I suggest possible negatives? That's not the case. I'm just attempting to bring to the table some of the objections that could possibly be raised by the search committee.

Let me ask you....are you OK with Herman bringing a TE coach who was coaching high school ball in Houston last year?

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/01/06/corby-meekings-houston-cougars-tom-herman

Oh by the way, that 5 star defensive linemen that committed to Houston....wanna guess who used to coach his high school?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...dan-elliott-houston-cougars-commits-ed-oliver

I like Herman. He's a smart guy. He understands roots matter.

Do you think I don't want Herman just because I suggest possible negatives? That's not the case. I'm just attempting to bring to the table some of the objections that could possibly be raised by the search committee.

Let me ask you....are you OK with Herman bringing a TE coach who was coaching high school ball in Houston last year?

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/01/06/corby-meekings-houston-cougars-tom-herman

Oh by the way, that 5 star defensive linemen that committed to Houston....wanna guess who used to coach his high school?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...dan-elliott-houston-cougars-commits-ed-oliver

I like Herman. He's a smart guy. He understands roots matter.

To answer the question you asked, that coach could be the Einstein of tight end play. I'm perfectly OK with the new head coach bringing his people in here - whoever they are.

Recruiting is our number 1 priority.... Herman would not hit the ground running here.

Geez dude are you the agent for Kirby Smart or something?

Keep overlooking Mark Stoops all you want but what he has done at UK in such a short period of time will be hard to overlook.

He didn't get a contract and an extension without a buyout for no reason! The guy ain't staying in Kentucky no matter how much he says he loves it there!

No sure where is is planning on landing but UK ain't his final destination.......

Keep overlooking Mark Stoops all you want but what he has done at UK in such a short period of time will be hard to overlook.

He didn't get a contract and an extension without a buyout for no reason! The guy ain't staying in Kentucky no matter how much he says he loves it there!

No sure where is is planning on landing but UK ain't his final destination.......
So, you want to hire Mark Stoops? Is that what I'm reading?

So, you want to hire Mark Stoops? Is that what I'm reading?

Not what I said but I don't think you overlook him either! Would you not as opposed to a few of these others?

He has coached in the SEC! He has recruited at a place thats not exactly the hotbed of recruiting and he has been successful thus far!

He has more of a resume than a few of the other names being thrown out there at this point!

As I said he has no buyout in his contract and is free to leave anytime for any job he desires!

Not what I said but I don't think you overlook him either! Would you not as opposed to a few of these others?

He has coached in the SEC! He has recruited at a place thats not exactly the hotbed of recruiting and he has been successful thus far!

He has more of a resume than a few of the other names being thrown out there at this point!

As I said he has no buyout in his contract and is free to leave anytime for any job he desires!

Mark Stoops has gone 2-10, 5-7, and is now 4-4.

Besides beating us and recruiting - what makes him special? It seems like we could keep our interim staff in place and have the same (lack of) success.

We need someone who does more with less. Right now Herman is doing much more with much less. He beat UCF (59-10) and Vandy (34-0) this season - we played those teams as well so you can gauge some of his program by that.

Reactions: king ward
Mark Stoops has gone 2-10, 5-7, and is now 4-4.

Besides beating us and recruiting - what makes him special? It seems like we could keep our interim staff in place and have the same (lack of) success.

We need someone who does more with less. Right now Herman is doing much more with much less. He beat UCF (59-10) and Vandy (34-0) this season - we played those teams as well so you can gauge some of his program by that.
We might need him, but he might not need us. He'll have his pick of several opportunities, some of which haven't even surfaced yet.

Geez dude are you the agent for Kirby Smart or something?
A better question given your followup posts: are you the agent for Mark Stoops?? Really, I don't get what you see in that guy. I really, really don't. He beat us twice. B. F. D. Other than that his list of "accomplishments" is tissue paper.

There are dozens of better choices than Mark Stoops, the slow brother of the Stoops family IMHO. I think y'all would do well with Kirby Smart or Herman. Maybe Fuentes, but I don't know. Stay away from Venables too.

I think having ties to a certain area is overrated. A good recruiter can overcome that sort of thing easily. If you walk into a recruit's house and make a good impression, that will eliminate any ties to a certain area. I have no doubt Tom Herman could be an effective recruiter here.

So why do you think Saban is paying Smart 1.5 million a year? I'm guessing it's not because Saban believes Smart can teach him anything about defense. No, it's mainly because Smart has the recruiting ties that Saban doesn't.

Why did Meyer retain Charlie Strong on his staff? Because Strong is great recruiter in Florida.

If Saban and Meyer think it's important, then it might be important.

So Smart ends up with a historically good recruiting class. Herman has the 3rd rated class at the University of Texas. (Ohio State's class is second; Urban Meyer is a Ohio native.)

Roots matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT