ADVERTISEMENT

Forbes and the top 15.

cockgun

Aug 3, 2002
So according to Forbes, we are in the top 15 of income sports value. I trust Forbes, as most of us should. Given the fact that we are in the SEC, we get a cut of the money; however, why is Clemson outpacing us by five X in talent with the ACC. I was at the game last night and it was a great environment (except for all the rap music and second down stuff from our band, but the cell phone light up was great). Given we have the money, are we just selling out for the women sports, or do we want to move forward with football as a sport and make that the priority such as Clemson did.

So according to Forbes, we are in the top 15 of income sports value. I trust Forbes, as most of us should. Given the fact that we are in the SEC, we get a cut of the money; however, why is Clemson outpacing us by five X in talent with the ACC. I was at the game last night and it was a great environment (except for all the rap music and second down stuff from our band, but the cell phone light up was great). Given we have the money, are we just selling out for the women sports, or do we want to move forward with football as a sport and make that the priority such as Clemson did.

Maybe you are trying to be honest and not have bag men? The basketball trial is a real eye-opener. It isn't surprising BB players want to go places in the middle of no-where like Kansas and Arizona when getting paid the numbers thrown around in that trial. I never assumed it was that blatant.

Maybe you are trying to be honest and not have bag men? The basketball trial is a real eye-opener. It isn't surprising BB players want to go places in the middle of no-where like Kansas and Arizona when getting paid the numbers thrown around in that trial. I never assumed it was that blatant.
So true, I have also understand that to be true. I suspect that we will never compromise our integrity on football and will be happy just to win the Palmetto Bowl, absent of football.

Our administration has other priorities like underwater basket weaving , women’s leap frog, snipe hunting. Football has never been a priority for the fans nor the administration and the results show it.

Last edited:

The why do kids go play in the middle of nowhere argument is ridiculous. Not everyone wants to live in a city and there is definitely an appeal to being in a small college town. And don't fool yourself, there are things that go on at USC too. Keep in mind Frank had an assistant mentioned in all this.

Carolina being 15th isn't that big of a deal when that ranks middle of the pack in the SEC. That means the competition is doing as well if not better financially.

Football means more to Clemson and it is a better run football organization and always has been. They treat alumni better than we do and have had more stability over time. Gamecock fans want to make fun of their faith in the program, the small town atmosphere, the gathering at the paw thing, and call Clemson redneck. Fact is that stuff is very appealing to CFB players as most come from the bible belt and your good football players don't typically come from big urban area. Look at the best HS programs in this state are they in Columbia? No, they are in places like Dutch Fork, Summerville, or in one of the old mill town communities of the upstate. When you grow up in a small town you often times want to stay in that atmosphere and not move to an urban campus.

Reactions: CTN-1
The why do kids go play in the middle of nowhere argument is ridiculous. Not everyone wants to live in a city and there is definitely an appeal to being in a small college town.

I have no idea if Clemson is cheating. We now know for a fact that Kansas, Louisville, and a number of other college Basketball powerhouses were cheating. At least Addidas on their behalf was. Every basketball powerhouse that had contracts with Addidas had cheating on their behalf. Maybe it is as dirty at NIke too, but that hasn't been shown. At Addidas it has been.

The middle of nowhere argument is not ridiculous. These are inner city kids going to Lawrence, Kansas and Tucson, Arizona. It isn't because they like those cities or want to be in the countryside. If we were talking about some farmer's kid from a rural setting, okay. Year after year inner city kids inexplicably trouped to Lawerence, Kansas. Now we know they got vast sums of money to do that.

Our administration has other priorities like underwater basket weaving , women’s leap frog, snipe hunting. Football has never been a priority for the fans nor the administration and the results show it.
They aren't good business people then because a top football program has proven to benefit schools in many ways such as enrollment and donations.

I have no idea if Clemson is cheating. We now know for a fact that Kansas, Louisville, and a number of other college Basketball powerhouses were cheating. At least Addidas on their behalf was. Every basketball powerhouse that had contracts with Addidas had cheating on their behalf. Maybe it is as dirty at NIke too, but that hasn't been shown. At Addidas it has been.

The middle of nowhere argument is not ridiculous. These are inner city kids going to Lawrence, Kansas and Tucson, Arizona. It isn't because they like those cities or want to be in the countryside. If we were talking about some farmer's kid from a rural setting, okay. Year after year inner city kids inexplicably trouped to Lawerence, Kansas. Now we know they got vast sums of money to do that.

Kansas is a historically great program that has been ahead of everyone else since the game was invented. KU was a power decades before this FBI stuff.

Kids go to programs that win amd Kansas has done that forever. Plus, the atmosphere and investment into basketball at Kansas is only matched by UNC, UK, and maybe a couple others.

Tuscon is a city of 500,000 so lets not pretend it is Starkville, MS

Kansas is a historically great program that has been ahead of everyone else since the game was invented. KU was a power decades before this FBI stuff.

Kids go to programs that win amd Kansas has done that forever. Plus, the atmosphere and investment into basketball at Kansas is only matched by UNC, UK, and maybe a couple others.

Tuscon is a city of 500,000 so lets not pretend it is Starkville, MS

Let's not pretend Tucson or Lawrence would be attractive cities to inner city youth. The information is proven. They are being paid to go there. Addidas personnel have admitted it. Big $$$ payments.

You can't just look at one number and think it tells a whole story. I am glad to see us ranked above Clemson but you'd have to really dig into that methodology to figure out what it does and doesn't mean

You can't just look at one number and think it tells a whole story. I am glad to see us ranked above Clemson but you'd have to really dig into that methodology to figure out what it does and doesn't mean

It blares out that Clem is hiding lots of 'farm subsidy' money in secret accounts to pay for its professional football program, but their day of reckoning is coming.

Reactions: coolcock2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT