ADVERTISEMENT

Former NFL official blasts SEC refs for overturning Buckeyes defensive TD. Awful call ruled a catch

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
so clearly not indisputable evidence to the contrary.Terry McAuley really called them out. Don`t think targeting call was right either. Also, why do they allow running backs to dive over the goal line, the ball flies out of their hands when they hit the ground but the call it a TD because it "broke the plane," hit the pylon whatever. Dobbins pass reception replay clearly showed he had possession, with both hands, when he broke the plane of the goal line. I agree the ball hit the ground when he did but why is that any different. As bad as SEC refs have been, how did they get picked for such a big game? Horrible job by them and replay crew.

NFL isn’t college
781aa751e994839d8d80dd17ec810008.jpg

I watched it a few times in real time. In real time, it was a tough but justifiable call. With the benefit of replay, it's obvious the ball carrier had possession and took steps before the ball came out. The "football play" or football move" component, I really don't understand at all. Possession had been established. This was a great play by the defender and an obvious fumble.

so clearly not indisputable evidence to the contrary.Terry McAuley really called them out. Don`t think targeting call was right either. Also, why do they allow running backs to dive over the goal line, the ball flies out of their hands when they hit the ground but the call it a TD because it "broke the plane," hit the pylon whatever. Dobbins pass reception replay clearly showed he had possession, with both hands, when he broke the plane of the goal line. I agree the ball hit the ground when he did but why is that any different. As bad as SEC refs have been, how did they get picked for such a big game? Horrible job by them and replay crew.
I can see your point of view in regards to the fumble, but how can you discredit the targeting call? He led with the crown of his helmet, no question. Doesn’t matter if Trevor dipped or whether he was defenseless. Regardless, who’s to say that had the calls had not a been overturned the outcome would have been different?

I can see your point of view in regards to the fumble, but how can you discredit the targeting call? He led with the crown of his helmet, no question. Doesn’t matter if Trevor dipped or whether he was defenseless. Regardless, who’s to say that had the calls been overturned the outcome would have been different?

If every player that led with the crown of his helmet was ejected for targeting, most games would be over at halftime...no players would be available to start the 3Q. Point being, targeting calls are inconsistently applied...just compare the OSU call to our game against TAMU. The issue is compounded given the drastic nature of ejecting players from games on plays where penalties were not even initially called. It's killing the college game.

If every player that led with the crown of his helmet was ejected for targeting, most games would be over at halftime...no players would be available to start the 3Q. Point being, targeting calls are inconsistently applied...just compare the OSU call to our game against TAMU. The issue is compounded given the drastic nature of ejecting players from games on plays where penalties were not even initially called. It's killing the college game.
EXACTLY!! Why wasnt that litle girl put in Concussion protocol?? wasnt she laid out on the ground for a while??

Reactions: LegalTiger
That both hands thing is what kills me. Just dont get how you can clearly have it grasped with two hands and it not be considered possessed.

Does anyone have the over/under line of how many threads we're going to have concerning the "Bad Calls" OSU - Clemson game ?

Thank you.

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
I don’t disagree with you, I’m only referencing the rule that is in place, and this particular play was targeting based on that rule. The worst part is the penalty that is applied could effect the following game. For a true targeting, I believe that’s fair, but for a questionable call to effect the following game seems unfair.

If you watched it in real time, it was obviously an incompletion. He never moved the ball to his chest or secured it and it was instantaneous. There's a reason that the only people saying it was a scoop and score are Ohio State fans (who famously never blame themselves for a loss) and the teams that hate Clemson. The only reason people are even arguing this is because the slow motion slowed was was a 1/4 second play to 4-5 seconds.

The issue comes from the officials ruling it was a fumble on the field. At that point, there was not indisputable video evidence that it was an incompletion because of slow-mo. The refs chose to call the play and let it play out and then review it, rather than say it was an incomplete pass and destroy the play there. They got the right result, but did it in an improper way.

At the same time, it doesn't matter. The good field position led to Ohio State's only points in the last 3 quarters. Clemson had not played an aggressive, talented team like that (Ohio State is the most talented team in the country by recruiting standards and NFL picks). They got smacked in the mouth to start the game and went down 16-0. But after that, they dominated Ohio State, outscoring them 29-7 the rest of the game.
I think the refs did it appropriately. If they had called it an incomplete pass on the field, then they would ha e blown the whistle and the play would have been dead and even if it was overturned on review, possession would ha e changed, but the touchdown would not have counted as the players would have quit at the whistle. I’m still amazed at how good even some bad refs are. We see everything in super slo-mo and have that luxury. They do not, and most of the time their calls are correct even at break neck speed. Then not only do they have to make the call, but they have to decide in a millisecond whether to make the call or not make the call so that review can take place because some calls are non reviewable.

Reactions: tigertomreed
If you watched it in real time, it was obviously an incompletion. He never moved the ball to his chest or secured it and it was instantaneous. There's a reason that the only people saying it was a scoop and score are Ohio State fans (who famously never blame themselves for a loss) and the teams that hate Clemson. The only reason people are even arguing this is because the slow motion slowed was was a 1/4 second play to 4-5 seconds.

The issue comes from the officials ruling it was a fumble on the field. At that point, there was not indisputable video evidence that it was an incompletion because of slow-mo. The refs chose to call the play and let it play out and then review it, rather than say it was an incomplete pass and destroy the play there. They got the right result, but did it in an improper way.

At the same time, it doesn't matter. The good field position led to Ohio State's only points in the last 3 quarters. Clemson had not played an aggressive, talented team like that (Ohio State is the most talented team in the country by recruiting standards and NFL picks). They got smacked in the mouth to start the game and went down 16-0. But after that, they dominated Ohio State, outscoring them 29-7 the rest of the game.
I'm gonna disagree with having to move the ball to the chest. Why would he do that on that part of the field? It makes no sense.

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
I watched it a few times in real time. In real time, it was a tough but justifiable call. With the benefit of replay, it's obvious the ball carrier had possession and took steps before the ball came out. The "football play" or football move" component, I really don't understand at all. Possession had been established. This was a great play by the defender and an obvious fumble.

Live play is the only way to review a play like this. In live play, everyone thought it was an incomplete pass, because he just didn’t have possession long enough. The announcers were surprised the ref hadn’t blown the play dead. If had been called incomplete nobody would have thought anything of it. The only way to make this look like a complete pass is in ultra slow motion.

Since when do you have to bring the ball to your chest?? How many times do you see a receiver make a sideline catch with his hands away from his body, and then step out out while holding the ball in his hands - or even transferring it to one hand? Should that be not a catch?
Separately, where is a football move in that scenario?

Does anyone have the over/under line of how many threads we're going to have concerning the "Bad Calls" OSU - Clemson game ?

I'm gonna say over/under 30 threads....heck I'm trying to sleep this nightmare off and FGF keeps waking and reminding me. OSU screwed the pooch and I will continue to hate them forever for it. Come on Tigahs..

The indisputable evidence for call reversal is where is really goes sideways.

OSU still had control of their own destiny - leading with 2 minutes to go in the game and Clemson well inside their own 20yd line.

BS, everything about this post is bs.

They’re trying to legislate violence out of a sport that was literally founded on it 150 years ago. I’ve tried explaining to people that never played at any appreciable level and they just don’t get it; they think lowering the head/crown of the helmet is a conscious decision by the player. In some very obvious cases it is, but the other 99.9% of the time it’s subconscious; there’s not time to make conscious decisions while you’re moving and your opponent’s moving. At some point in practice or whenever the left side of a player’s brain has figured out where the center of gravity in the body is and what motion is most reliable for delivering that force, and then it’s transferred to the right side of the brain into the subconscious for use when needed, ie “instinct”. In practice on tackling dummies players are (used to be anyway) coached to keep the head up so you can “see” the tackle, but in games, split second actions, your subconscious is not going to lead with the face and it’s not going to lead with the shoulder, it’s going to lead with the top of the head because that’s where the subconscious has learned the most reliable and forceful blow comes from.

It’s friggin frustrating to watch because it’s most often called just to be called and as you note, EVERY player on the field initiates and receives head on contact with the head lowered; it will NEVER be “penalized out.

Fwiw, blind side hits hurt WAY worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT