ADVERTISEMENT

Free hamburger if Tebow strikes out 3x

I don't get all the hate on Tebow. The man has zero run ins of a negative nature. All he does is work his tail off.
Work? I had a cousin that played DIII hoops. He "worked" his butt off. After school he went to several NBA tryout camps, then NBA-D league team camps and never made a team. He got invited to play on summer developmental practice squads but was not guaranteed playing time. At some point his friends and family convinced him it was time to give up the dream. The difference between him and Tebow was that my cousin wasn't invited to be on the roster only as a gimmick to put fans in the bleachers.

Work? I had a cousin that played DIII hoops. He "worked" his butt off. After school he went to several NBA tryout camps, then NBA-D league team camps and never made a team. He got invited to play on summer developmental practice squads but was not guaranteed playing time. At some point his friends and family convinced him it was time to give up the dream. The difference between him and Tebow was that my cousin wasn't invited to be on the roster only as a gimmick to put fans in the bleachers.
I could see if you were a guy who felt like they were "so close" you might not like a guy like Tebow who seems to get these types of opportunities but I think that's sometimes just how life goes.
I don't think you can blame Tebow...he's proven (over many years now) that he's a hard worker too and that he's using his social status to do really positive things for people (which I think plays a role in him still being relevant and desirable in these cases). He clearly works/trains extremely hard too if you know anything about him.
There are many people with your cousin's story....only a handful with Tebow's. regardless of why that is, it's just a rare exception in the world of sports.

Does he have a shot at the bigs? No
Is he currently taking the spot of some kid who might. Yes
There's a lot of guys in minor league ball that have no shot at the bigs...whether or not you have a shot is all perspective...you might not think he has a shot, but he's probbaly not thinking that....same as any other Single A guy who is a few years in and hitting in the low.200's....he's probably still grinding away thinking he's got a shot but does he really??

I could see if you were a guy who felt like they were "so close" you might not like a guy like Tebow who seems to get these types of opportunities but I think that's sometimes just how life goes.
I don't think you can blame Tebow...he's proven (over many years now) that he's a hard worker too and that he's using his social status to do really positive things for people (which I think plays a role in him still being relevant and desirable in these cases). He clearly works/trains extremely hard too if you know anything about him.
There are many people with your cousin's story....only a handful with Tebow's. regardless of why that is, it's just a rare exception in the world of sports.
You put things nicely in perspective for me. Thanks.

I don't get all the hate on Tebow. The man has zero run ins of a negative nature. All he does is work his tail off.
Probably has a lot to do with the fact that during his college years and his first years in the NFL he was promoted like few athletes ever were before...on all major sports shows. He took a piss and it was reported as news. People got tired of it...and then the backlash.

Reactions: funktavious
I can't wait for my free hamburger when he hits Fluor Field. He is a gimmick and nothing more, and whoever doesn't see this is blind. I respect his athletic talent and his college football success and I think he got a bit of a raw deal in the NFL, but he will never rise to the Double A level in baseball.

Even if Tebow is "taking someone's spot," that's not on Tebow. That's on the Mets.

Tebow is not very good at baseball. But that's not a negative on him personally. I wish him the best.

Reactions: viennacocks
Tebow is basically in the same process as your cousin was. He is currently trying to make it. He hasn't made a big teams roster yet. He is playing Single A ball. If the NBA had a minor league system as large as MLB then your cousin probably could have found a similar spot as Tebow currently has.

People tend to resent people who do well and/or appear to have no flaws. I believe the term is "hater". If I had to choose an American citizen to represent us as a global ambassador, Tebow would be on the short list.

That said, he sucks at baseball.

Tebow is not standing in any players way to the bigs if a player can play then he will play. Besides, if you're playing at this level your shot is slim anyway.

Reactions: rogue cock
There's a lot of guys in minor league ball that have no shot at the bigs...whether or not you have a shot is all perspective...you might not think he has a shot, but he's probbaly not thinking that....same as any other Single A guy who is a few years in and hitting in the low.200's....he's probably still grinding away thinking he's got a shot but does he really??
I agree with you on that but the only reason he gets a shot is because he's Tim Tebow. He has opportunities at this point to make millions doing plenty of different things because of his name also.

Tebow is not standing in any players way to the bigs if a player can play then he will play. Besides, if you're playing at this level your shot is slim anyway.
Agree. He's actually doing someone a favor. Getting paid less than minimum wage for several years to find out you'll never make it past single A is reality for most of these players. The few that do make it will make it with or w/o Tebow.

Someone said Tebow will never make it past single A. I wouldn't bet against him. To say he suck at baseball after playing a few months is absurd.

Agree. He's actually doing someone a favor. Getting paid less than minimum wage for several years to find out you'll never make it past single A is reality for most of these players. The few that do make it will make it with or w/o Tebow.

Someone said Tebow will never make it past single A. I wouldn't bet against him. To say he suck at baseball after playing a few months is absurd.
Suck he may be he's still Tim Tebow and they ain't....lol

And that is a harsh, difficult reality to accept, especially when you've been a star player in HS and/or college for several years.

At least Tebow has his college degree. The ones I feel for are the players coming out of HS with dreams of making it...and then the cold, hard reality hits.

Reactions: viennacocks
There probably isn't anyone who despised Tim Tebow more than me during his golden years at Florida. Then he wins the Heisman, then he becomes the apple of ESPN's eye and so on. But have a heart, he has been through some awkward and embarrassing times since he was drafted by the NFL. He kept his Christian convictions and I know of no incidents he was involved in where law enforcement had to be called. He must know that at 28 his last chances are all just about gone to play professional sports so the pressure is on. Most of the guys making fun of him couldn't beat their way out of a wet paper bag. They are "never were's''. At least he was a success for a few years.

I can't wait for my free hamburger when he hits Fluor Field. He is a gimmick and nothing more, and whoever doesn't see this is blind. I respect his athletic talent and his college football success and I think he got a bit of a raw deal in the NFL, but he will never rise to the Double A level in baseball.

Thats funny you say tebow is a gimmick while in the same paragraph point out a gimmick by the sorry ass drive to promote sales.
Irony huh

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
Realistically speaking, how many member of the "Columbia Chiggers" have a chance of making the show? Not enough to comprise an entire baseball squad. You need "fillers" on each team.

Realistically speaking, how many member of the "Columbia Chiggers" have a chance of making the show? Not enough to comprise an entire baseball squad. You need "fillers" on each team.
Remember reading that somewhere around 10% of all minor league players will make it to the majors. So, somewhat less than 10%. It's not good odds, especially considering the poor pay.

Reactions: atl-cock

Maybe if he had accomplished this, he would have been.

Does he have a shot at the bigs? No
Is he currently taking the spot of some kid who might. Yes

I would say you are dead wrong. There is maybe 1 position player at Columbia that will make it even to triple A and the only reason they get that far is to fill a roster spot .Tebow is taking no one spot who is a position player on the fireflies that has a chance at the majors! Team is put together to have a low payroll and to develop pitchers who tend to develop later. Pitchers may have chance depending on how well they learn to pitch.

you don't know shit about the minor leagues if you think Tebow is taking someone's spot.

NFL teams wanted Tebo as a tight end. He would still be in the NFL if he made that transition. If I were a NFL general manager I would have given Tebo a shot at QB but in his contract if he didn't make it as a QB he would required to be a tight end.

So it sounds like your cousin worked hard. Good for him. Sounds like Tebow has worked hard also. He's getting a tryout, just like your cousin did. Your cousin didn't make it, but it wasn't because of Tim Tebow. Don't be hating on Tebow because your cousin couldn't make an D league team.

This crap is like all the Lebron haters. They hate him because he keeps his nose clean, and is damn good. Tebow was a great college player, and you don't get to be great by not working hard. To this day he's trying to live a dream. Good for him. If he ain't good enough, he'll get the same result your cousin did in the end. I was a damn good high school player.................didn't mean I was good enough for a major college team and I didn't begrudge anyone that was. If I owned a freakin minor league team, I'd invite his arse to be on it cause I sure as heck would want butts in the seats.

Maybe if he had accomplished this, he would have been.
Nailed it

Reactions: tngamecock#
Even if Tebow is "taking someone's spot," that's not on Tebow. That's on the Mets.

Tebow is not very good at baseball. But that's not a negative on him personally. I wish him the best.
i think he's taking his spot

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT