ADVERTISEMENT

Friday coaching search notes...

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
If you missed our Wednesday update on the coaching situation, it contains most of the latest information on the search: Read it here.

- When the national reports started coming out earlier this week about Herman pulling away from the USC job, I initially thought that it could have been coming from the agent world with motivations that were unclear to me (maybe a deflection, maybe something else). Certainly I believe some of the talk has come from those channels, but definitely not all of it which has helped legitimize it in my mind. I believe, based on what I've been told, that it's truly where things stand in Herman's mind. That certainly does not mean he's gone through this process with no interest in South Carolina because as we've said, he's had legitimate interest. That doesn't equate to a guy taking a job, though. I think the fact that Herman had to address the report about him being a done deal to South Carolina sort of accelerated a more definitive statement on his status but as Josh has said (and I agree) it certainly has not driven the actual end result.

- Multiple people I've talked to familiar with Herman believe he's had eyes on the Texas job for a while now. Of course, that job is not open at this time. However, if he stays put at Houston and continues having success there, the notion is that if it opens up down the road that he will have a very good shot at it with an easy transition. Herman's staff at Houston is comprised almost entirely of Texas/Midwest guys with lots of experience recruiting that state. So you can understand how it makes sense for him - if he doesn't want to take the USC job or another huge job opens up that's interested in him - to stay at Houston and double his salary and keep things going there. Even if Texas didn't open up in the next couple years, Herman isn't in a position where he just absolutely has to make a jump right now. He can be patient if he wants, or at least that's the line of thinking.

- With Houston winning over Navy today, that secured Houston's spot in the AAC title game which is on December 5. That of course means that instead of being finished until a bowl game later this month that Herman has over a week to prepare for a conference title game. Overall, the totality of the circumstances keeps Herman/USC less likely than it has been even before that game happened.

- At the same time, to my knowledge Herman/his representation has not given South Carolina a flat no. There is still some time here for Ray Tanner to try to make something happen if he wishes but I can't imagine that time frame can be very long. As I said on Wednesday, it would require a shift in thinking for Herman for things to change here. I think Tanner would have to get Herman in Columbia at some point for a personal pitch and with the current time frame and situation the reality is that it's going to be tough to do in a timely manner if at all. Obviously USC cannot afford to wait around forever. I would estimate that Tanner will ascertain fairly quickly what the deal is and if it's apparent that Herman is not happening that he will move on.

- We've mentioned more times than I can count that Kirby Smart has been a top candidate for the job. He opened on our hot board as a top three candidate and in early November we said he was a top two candidate along with Herman. Herman was established at some point as the top guy for USC but again, I don't think there is or has been this absolutely gigantic gap between the two candidates. USC has liked Kirby Smart for quite some time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News