ADVERTISEMENT

From the days of yesteryear! Paul Dietzel's Chinese Bandits

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
I have always wondered why a certain platoon of players for LSU were called the Chinese Bandits. I made a reference about my wife and I getting to see Paul Dietzel for one last time when he was honored at WB during half-time a few years ago. Dietzel was the HC at Carolina when I got to attend my first game at WB and he was the HC when I carried my girlfriend (later to become my wife) to a game at WB. And it bought back a lot of old memories. Anyway, I "googled" the Chinese Bandits last night and found this about that particular unit.

On another note, didn't Carolina fans call our defense the Bandits for short period of time while Dietzel was at Carolina.

THE STORY OF THE LSU CHINESE BANDITS

Back in 1958, Paul Dietzel who was coach then had a problem. He had a lot of talent, especially in the backfield. Back then, substitution rules were very different. There was a new substitution rule that allowed any player -- not just starters -- to come off the field and go back in again once each quarter. The rule stopped short of permitting a return to two-platoon football, so Dietzel went with the next best thing葉hree platoons: a two-way unit of his best players, an offensive second team, and a defensive second team. If a player came out, he could not go back in for a while. So, most teams would platoon players in, eleven at a time. The first string would go both ways, offense and defense, the second string was offense only, and the third string was defense only. In the first few games, when LSU was leading by quite a few points, the 3rd string would go in on defense. Now, it was not that the 3rd string was not good, on most teams, they would be starters. Well, they would smother the offense of the other team. A lot of the defense was made up of big fast backs. They were the defensive ends, and line backers mostly. And even the defensive line was very fast. Very seldom would you see a single player making a tackle, it was usually gang tackling. And, since they were still third string, they played with the idea of moving up, so I think they played with more heart.

Anyway, after one game, the reporters were commenting and asking questions to coach Paul. He made the comment that they played like a bunch of Chinese Bandits. Now, a very popular comic strip back then was "Terry and the Pirates". He was always in conflict with, what else, Chinese bandits.

Folklore said that Chinese bandits attacked and plundered with that same reckless abandon. The defensive subs were known as the "Chinese Bandits" and their inspired play (they didn't give up a touchdown all season) symbolized LSU's remarkable 11-0 campaign. The Tigers reached No.1 the seventh week of the season and went on to win their first Sugar Bowl in five tries.

The name stuck, thanks to the reporters. So, the first string was the "White team", the second string became the "Go team" and the third string became the "Chinese Bandits". The "Bandits" were getting more press than just about anyone else. It was sealed when "Sports Illustrated" did an article on them. In those days they would always list minutes each kid played in a game and seldom did any member of the Bandits play more than 10 minutes.

I have always wondered why a certain platoon of players for LSU were called the Chinese Bandits. I made a reference about my wife and I getting to see Paul Dietzel for one last time when he was honored at WB during half-time a few years ago. Dietzel was the HC at Carolina when I got to attend my first game at WB and he was the HC when I carried my girlfriend (later to become my wife) to a game at WB. And it bought back a lot of old memories. Anyway, I "googled" the Chinese Bandits last night and found this about that particular unit.

On another note, didn't Carolina fans call our defense the Bandits for short period of time while Dietzel was at Carolina.

Back in 1958, Paul Dietzel who was coach then had a problem. He had a lot of talent, especially in the backfield. Back then, substitution rules were very different. There was a new substitution rule that allowed any player -- not just starters -- to come off the field and go back in again once each quarter. The rule stopped short of permitting a return to two-platoon football, so Dietzel went with the next best thing葉hree platoons: a two-way unit of his best players, an offensive second team, and a defensive second team. If a player came out, he could not go back in for a while. So, most teams would platoon players in, eleven at a time. The first string would go both ways, offense and defense, the second string was offense only, and the third string was defense only. In the first few games, when LSU was leading by quite a few points, the 3rd string would go in on defense. Now, it was not that the 3rd string was not good, on most teams, they would be starters. Well, they would smother the offense of the other team. A lot of the defense was made up of big fast backs. They were the defensive ends, and line backers mostly. And even the defensive line was very fast. Very seldom would you see a single player making a tackle, it was usually gang tackling. And, since they were still third string, they played with the idea of moving up, so I think they played with more heart.

Anyway, after one game, the reporters were commenting and asking questions to coach Paul. He made the comment that they played like a bunch of Chinese Bandits. Now, a very popular comic strip back then was "Terry and the Pirates". He was always in conflict with, what else, Chinese bandits.

Folklore said that Chinese bandits attacked and plundered with that same reckless abandon. The defensive subs were known as the "Chinese Bandits" and their inspired play (they didn't give up a touchdown all season) symbolized LSU's remarkable 11-0 campaign. The Tigers reached No.1 the seventh week of the season and went on to win their first Sugar Bowl in five tries.

The name stuck, thanks to the reporters. So, the first string was the "White team", the second string became the "Go team" and the third string became the "Chinese Bandits". The "Bandits" were getting more press than just about anyone else. It was sealed when "Sports Illustrated" did an article on them. In those days they would always list minutes each kid played in a game and seldom did any member of the Bandits play more than 10 minutes.
Oh, how that name offends me why not call them Asian Plunderers?

The name of the song the LSU band plays when they get a 3rd down stop is “Chinese Bandits”. I wonder if it’s some theme associated with this?

Coach Dietzel called the USC Defense the "Fire Ants", at least in the beginning. He also had all Seniors wear Black Helmets in Practice to see if they were leading in Drills, Sprints, or whatever else the team did. He called them the "Black Hats". I think he had a great idea there.

Coach Dietzel called the USC Defense the "Fire Ants", at least in the beginning. He also had all Seniors wear Black Helmets in Practice to see if they were leading in Drills, Sprints, or whatever else the team did. He called them the "Black Hats". I think he had a great idea there.
I think he also made them wear them in the last home game didn't he?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Remember them well, as LSU was the only football that I could get on the radio of my 55 Ford on Saturday night. It was broadcast from the New Orleans "100,000 watt clear channel station". People all over the South were big LSU fans because of that radio station, and the "Chinese Bandits".

The big Sugar Bowl game that LSU won 7-0, and was considered then a sort of national championship was over, you know who, Clemson.

4. Calling it the "Fire Ant" Defense
"This was the name given to the Gamecock defense from at least 1980-1987 - i.e., from the end of the Jim Carlen era, through the one-year Richard Bell fiasco that followed, and then through the Joe Morrison years up until we were derailed by the Tommy Chaikin scandal. Now, from time to time, you'll see some Carolina fans argue that the "fire ant" defense was only for the 1987 squad .. or only for the '84 squad .... or just for Joe Lee Dunn's defenses during the Morrison tenure ... or isn't to be confused with "Black Death" or "Black Magic." We could probably argue this stuff for years, but suffice it to say that despite "Fire Ants" being a great unit name - like Nebraska's "Black Shirts" or the Steelers' "Steel Curtain" - it fell from active use under Sparky Woods. You might hear "Fire Ants" here and there, but it's a shame it was allowed to die. Now that it's the 25th anniversary of the last Carolina defense ('87) that actively used the name, it's time to bring it back. The defensive starters should be known from henceforth as the Fire Ants (regardless of whether we wear all-garnet uniforms, though it would be cool to do it at least one home game to honor them). In light of how the USC defense has been carrying us a lot of the way these last few years with their aggressive ball-swarming style, it makes a lot of sense and will build some great espirit de corps. Go Fire Ants!" ~ tryptic67

Reactions: Athenscock1
4. Calling it the "Fire Ant" Defense
"This was the name given to the Gamecock defense from at least 1980-1987 - i.e., from the end of the Jim Carlen era, through the one-year Richard Bell fiasco that followed, and then through the Joe Morrison years up until we were derailed by the Tommy Chaikin scandal. Now, from time to time, you'll see some Carolina fans argue that the "fire ant" defense was only for the 1987 squad .. or only for the '84 squad .... or just for Joe Lee Dunn's defenses during the Morrison tenure ... or isn't to be confused with "Black Death" or "Black Magic." We could probably argue this stuff for years, but suffice it to say that despite "Fire Ants" being a great unit name - like Nebraska's "Black Shirts" or the Steelers' "Steel Curtain" - it fell from active use under Sparky Woods. You might hear "Fire Ants" here and there, but it's a shame it was allowed to die. Now that it's the 25th anniversary of the last Carolina defense ('87) that actively used the name, it's time to bring it back. The defensive starters should be known from henceforth as the Fire Ants (regardless of whether we wear all-garnet uniforms, though it would be cool to do it at least one home game to honor them). In light of how the USC defense has been carrying us a lot of the way these last few years with their aggressive ball-swarming style, it makes a lot of sense and will build some great espirit de corps. Go Fire Ants!" ~ tryptic67

I just remembered the defense being called the "Fire Ants" for the first time during the 1984 season.

Reactions: Athenscock1
Remember them well, as LSU was the only football that I could get on the radio of my 55 Ford on Saturday night. It was broadcast from the New Orleans "100,000 watt clear channel station". People all over the South were big LSU fans because of that radio station, and the "Chinese Bandits".

The big Sugar Bowl game that LSU won 7-0, and was considered then a sort of national championship was over, you know who, Clemson.
My dad played for Clemson in that game. Back then, the champ was crowned before the bowl game so the game would not have changed the fact LSU was the champ. Clemson was a 3-TD dog but hung around the whole game. It was dad's first plane ride. He was a poor kid from Charleston's St. Andrews homes housing project and had to buy his first suit to wear on the plane. (Imagine that.) I still have his Sugar Bowl watch and it still runs. I think it was an ABC broadcast and they were concerned about Clemson's orange jerseys not contrasting enough with LSU'S home whites in a black and white broadcast so Clemson purchased dark blue jerseys from a local sporting goods store, which they only wore one other time in the 60's. Mom still has dad's Sugar Blues jersey, framed and hanging in her pool room. I have a large framed picture of the only known color photo of the team in their blue jerseys. As a kid living in New Orleans, dad took me to a preseason Saints game in '73. I had no idea of the significance of that stadium for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCexpat38
My dad played for Clemson in that game. Back then, the champ was crowned before the bowl game so the game would not have changed the fact LSU was the champ. Clemson was a 3-TD dog but hung around the whole game. It was dad's first plane ride. He was a poor kid from Charleston's St. Andrews homes housing project and had to buy his first suit to wear on the plane. (Imagine that.) I still have his Sugar Bowl watch and it still runs. I think it was an ABC broadcast and they were concerned about Clemson's orange jerseys not contrasting enough with LSU'S home whites in a black and white broadcast so Clemson purchased dark blue jerseys from a local sporting goods store, which they only wore one other time in the 60's. Mom still has dad's Sugar Blues jersey, framed and hanging in her pool room. I have a large framed picture of the only known color photo of the team in their blue jerseys. As a kid living in New Orleans, dad took me to a preseason Saints game in '73. I had no idea of the significance of that stadium for him.

Can't stand Clemson, but that's cool. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: punydevil
Dietzel also wrote the fight song for both USC and LSU.

Yep...he heard "Step to the Year" (which was getting a lot of airplay on what was referred to as "Adult Contemporary" radio) from the Broadway show, "How Now Dow Jones?" ! Dietzel changed the lyrics to "fit" USC & the rest is history!!

Knew a guy from Greenville (deceased for many years now) who played for that Clemson team. Later, he ran the game clock at Clemson . Got to see a "sugar blue" jersey!!

Reactions: punydevil
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT