ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock Club Membership & 2022 Home Football Tickets

macaroni#

Apr 6, 2003
Irmo/Dillon SC
I went ahead and renewed my Club Membership and purchased my Home Football Tickets for the 2022 Football Season. Feeling positive about the way the 2021 Season ended and the Recruiting Class/Portal Transfers along with the Players that are returning. Get on board "Peeps" and lets support and show the respect deserved to the Coaching Staff and Players. 2022 can very well be a very special team!

Anybody else taken care of this business yet? What y'all waiting on? Fill them seats for this "Up and Coming" Team with "Coach of the Year Shane Beamer" and his Coaching Staff and Players!

That is great. I am glad you enjoy it and are excited already.

If I don't have plans to be at the lake, I'll be supporting them from the comfort of my living room- as usual - surrounded by my favorite wife and kids (well, they don't watch sports so they'll be in the house somewhere)

On those nice evenings where the temp is nice, I'll watch the game sitting outside in my backyard with the game projected onto the back of my house.

The joy of saving that money, having a clean bathroom, and avoiding drunk jerks near me keeps a smile on my face.

I renewed my membership in October when they had some giveaway thing going on.

I went ahead and renewed my Club Membership and purchased my Home Football Tickets for the 2022 Football Season. Feeling positive about the way the 2021 Season ended and the Recruiting Class/Portal Transfers along with the Players that are returning. Get on board "Peeps" and lets support and show the respect deserved to the Coaching Staff and Players. 2022 can very well be a very special team!
Ah yes, I remember those days of being excited when I re-upped my Full Scholarship GC membership ….. and then they hired Muschamp and I left forever — never joining again. Hopefully the Alumni Assn will also eventually figure out that I’m gone. Samaritan’s Purse gets my money now.

I'm not in that big of a hurry to invest in a negative ROI. I like to wait until the last minute so my hard earned money can earn better returns elsewhere.
You pay your taxes the day before they become delinquent as well I bet. Nothing wrong w that. You're able to make a few more dollars that way.

I applaud your enthusiasm but seeing as how I have made an oath to poverty being an educator in South Carolina, I won’t be putting that much of my expendable income into a donation and season tickets. Especially given the fact that everything with the exception of my salary has become super inflated.

I’ll buy Charlotte/Ga State/SC State /Missouri at market value which will be well below face. Georgia may price me out. Tennessee will depend on how we are doing.

Stopped giving to the GCC 4 years ago and won't comeback. Stadium atmosphere just isn't what it once was, traffic on 26 is getting worse with the ridiculous construction, and no one at USC seems to listen to the concerns of fans despite the surveys they send out.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I applaud your enthusiasm but seeing as how I have made an oath to poverty being an educator in South Carolina, I won’t be putting that much of my expendable income into a donation and season tickets. Especially given the fact that everything with the exception of my salary has become super inflated.

I’ll buy Charlotte/Ga State/SC State /Missouri at market value which will be well below face. Georgia may price me out. Tennessee will depend on how we are doing.
An oath to poverty. Good Lord.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
You see what teachers make in this state or are you just blissfully unaware?

I mean compared to the grocery store clerk I guess it’s great pay.
I taught for 10 years. Cry me a river. No other profession gets as many holidays off, 2 weeks at Christmas. A week in the spring. 6 weeks in the summer and with a masters degree and a few years you can make 60k not to mention state benefits and a pension when you retire that it’s you the rest of your life based on your highest 3 quarters of pay. Yeah. Terrible job.teachers are not under paid. They’re under appreciated for sure. But not under paid.

I taught for 10 years. Cry me a river. No other profession gets as many holidays off, 2 weeks at Christmas. A week in the spring. 6 weeks in the summer and with a masters degree and a few years you can make 60k not to mention state benefits and a pension when you retire that it’s you the rest of your life based on your highest 3 quarters of pay. Yeah. Terrible job.teachers are not under paid. They’re under appreciated for sure. But not under paid.
I am not debating holidays, just the salary.

Pension is half of your salary so even at 60k that’s a ripe 30k to live on before accounting for insurance and taxes.

You do realize the governor is pushing to get starting pay up to $38,000. It’s a long way to $60,000 in some districts. If you taught at one of the wealthier districts, you were likely paid a little better.

Reactions: USC2USC
I am not debating holidays, just the salary.

Pension is half of your salary so even at 60k that’s a ripe 30k to live on before accounting for insurance and taxes.

You do realize the governor is pushing to get starting pay up to $38,000. It’s a long way to $60,000 in some districts. If you taught at one of the wealthier districts, you were likely paid a little better.
Never said anything about starting salary. Average starting salary for bachelors degree is 30k. And pension is based on your highest three quarters during employment.

Never said anything about starting salary. Average starting salary for bachelors degree is 30k. And pension is based on your highest three quarters during employment.
Pension is based on your 3 highest years but it is only 45.5 percent of your salary.

Pension is based on your 3 highest years but it is only 45.5 percent of your salary.
Pension takes less than 8% of your gross salary. I am in the state retirement system. The employer puts in a similar amount. All my taxes, insurance, 401k and retirement added up to 33% of my gross salary. Your take home would still be about 67% of your gross. Not bad for a 9 month job. And before you start to say it's 12 months, you choose to get your check over 12 months or 9 months. Add in holidays. And you can get a job during the summer if you want to make extra money.

One of the local ski resorts around here deeply discounts their season passes if you buy them in March the season before instead of waiting until closer to the current season to buy. I think it's a genius move as it provides them an influx of cash heading into the summer and "improvement" season.

Unless the GCC gives a discount for signing up early, or some other incentive, I cant think of a good reason not to wait until closer to the deadline to re-up.

Pension takes less than 8% of your gross salary. I am in the state retirement system. The employer puts in a similar amount. All my taxes, insurance, 401k and retirement added up to 33% of my gross salary. Your take home would still be about 67% of your gross. Not bad for a 9 month job. And before you start to say it's 12 months, you choose to get your check over 12 months or 9 months. Add in holidays. And you can get a job during the summer if you want to make extra money.
I’m always amazed by all of the people who think teachers have it made, yet they never go into teaching. In case you’re wondering, we are WAY understaffed. Do you have a bachelor’s degree? If so, you can get in on the teaching gravy-train, too. I mean, yeah, you’ll have to go through a 3-year training period (while you teach full-time) that eats up 1/3 of that LONG summer break, plus half a dozen weekends…and you’ll have to pay for (and pass, of course) 9 hours worth of Graduate classes…but just think of that cushy teaching job that awaits you! Not only will you be expected to teach math, science, literature, but you’ll be teaching it to…get this…a class where 95% of them DONT WANT TO LEARN! It’s awesome! On top of that, their hormones are blowing up AND you’ll get the added benefit of being expected to break up a few fights…each week! And then there’s the parents! They are great! Even though none of them have ever taught, they ALL know your job better than you do! AND they are all ITCHING to tell you everything you should do differently.

Rhetorical question, but when were those 10 years that you taught? I doubt average rent was $1000+, health insurance premiums weren't $300+ and a bachelor's degree from a state university didn't cost $60,000.
It is very hard to live on $40k/year these days. It takes everything they make to afford a decent place to live, a car to drive, and to pay back student loans.
Many teachers with kids qualify for WIC and other government programs because **their salary is too low**
I have a HUGE respect for educators. They are a vital part of our society, and they have to put up with a ton of crap while earning a very modest income.

It really depends on where in the food chain you are as a teacher. Beginners really do need to find a summer job. My wife was a special Ed teacher. She is now a sub, which is basically donating your time

1. Are you a teacher? You do realize that our “state retirement plan” is not the same as other government workers.

2. You do acknowledge that there are taxes and fees, but again the state retirement plan pays a little less than half of the 20 highest paying quarters.

3. Even working in a wealthy district, you’d have to put in 23 years in my district to make 60,000 before taxes. 16 with a masters. So you can imagine what people are making 5 years and 10 years in. Do some math on what the actual take home pay is, cost of living, etc…

4. What kind of awesome part time jobs are out there for 3 weeks in June and the entire month of July. Maybe a week in August and Christmas and Spring Break. Cutting grass? Oh by the way if I did work all of that it would leave me with actually very little to no time off (not that a lot of people in this state care about that aspect). Do you advise people in any other profession that requires a college degree you can go get a part time job after they work their job? My guess is no.

I’m always amazed by all of the people who think teachers have it made, yet they never go into teaching. In case you’re wondering, we are WAY understaffed. Do you have a bachelor’s degree? If so, you can get in on the teaching gravy-train, too. I mean, yeah, you’ll have to go through a 3-year training period (while you teach full-time) that eats up 1/3 of that LONG summer break, plus half a dozen weekends…and you’ll have to pay for (and pass, of course) 9 hours worth of Graduate classes…but just think of that cushy teaching job that awaits you! Not only will you be expected to teach math, science, literature, but you’ll be teaching it to…get this…a class where 95% of them DONT WANT TO LEARN! It’s awesome! On top of that, their hormones are blowing up AND you’ll get the added benefit of being expected to break up a few fights…each week! And then there’s the parents! They are great! Even though none of them have ever taught, they ALL know your job better than you do! AND they are all ITCHING to tell you everything you should do differently.
And do not leave out the politicians. Even though most attended wealthy private schools with the ability to reject any person they want to, politicians KNOW what works in a public school that takes in everyone.

I can tell you get it.

Reactions: Jon Snow
So tell me how much of that 30 thousand after taxes, medical and dental insurance and retirement is actually left to spend on the essentials of life…..

This state wonders why there is a shortage. It’s not that there’s a shortage of workers. There’s a shortage of workers willing to do it for that wage.

Serious question. If you taught for ten years and chose to get out, why? You’re talking about how great the holidays are. You’re talking about how the pay and pension isn’t bad. So why did you decide after a decade and all the sweet benefits to completely walk away?

Rhetorical question, but when were those 10 years that you taught? I doubt average rent was $1000+, health insurance premiums weren't $300+ and a bachelor's degree from a state university didn't cost $60,000.
It is very hard to live on $40k/year these days. It takes everything they make to afford a decent place to live, a car to drive, and to pay back student loans.
Many teachers with kids qualify for WIC and other government programs because **their salary is too low**
I have a HUGE respect for educators. They are a vital part of our society, and they have to put up with a ton of crap while earning a very modest income.
Thank you for your support and respect. Honestly I almost got out of it ten years ago going through a divorce. Between legal fees child support and a crappy salary, it almost did me in.

Literally the only thing that kept me in education was remarrying a spouse with significantly more income which allowed me the stability and ability to stay in it.

I wonder what public education will look like in this state in another 30 years. There are not a lot of people looking to do this, especially at the middle and high school levels.

Reactions: bashby33
Thank you for your support and respect. Honestly I almost got out of it ten years ago going through a divorce. Between legal fees child support and a crappy salary, it almost did me in.

Literally the only thing that kept me in education was remarrying a spouse with significantly more income which allowed me the stability and ability to stay in it.

I wonder what public education will look like in this state in another 30 years. There are not a lot of people looking to do this, especially at the middle and high school levels.

The education system in our country is a mess. I'm truly grateful for teachers like you. I seriously don't know you how you do it.

I thank the teachers at my kids school all the time. I know how hard it is. Especially with the shortages.

The future of education is going to be online learning. You'll have administrators and kids will learn on tablets or other devices.

There simply won't be enough teachers. There aren't enough now.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Serious question. If you taught for ten years and chose to get out, why? You’re talking about how great the holidays are. You’re talking about how the pay and pension isn’t bad. So why did you decide after a decade and all the sweet benefits to completely walk away?
under appreciated. the better you are at your job, the more principals and district office ask you to do. To pick up the slack from the rest of the bums. theres A box around how you have to teach, and the decisions that are made are RARELY in the best interest of those inside a class (students and teachers). I now have a flexible schedule, unlimited earning potential, and I’m my own boss.

under appreciated. the better you are at your job, the more principals and district office ask you to do. To pick up the slack from the rest of the bums. theres A box around how you have to teach, and the decisions that are made are RARELY in the best interest of those inside a class (students and teachers). I now have a flexible schedule, unlimited earning potential, and I’m my own boss.
Thank you for your service in education. I would hope that being on the inside for some time you would advocate for better pay and conditions inside the building, especially if those things drove you out of it.

Unfortunately a lot of the reasons you mentioned are driving a lot of people from the profession.

First year Hilton Head high school rent was 1300 in bluffton, health insurance is through the state, so it was probably $150 when I was single, went up after marriage and kids. I had 60k of student loans when I graduated they were paid off within 8 years. Second -5 years in walterboro. 6-7 at RB Stall HS in north charleston, then Berkeley for two years (lived in Summerville) and lastly back home to union county. Most teachers wont become millionaires, but, they can live ok, and they certainly do not qualify for WIC unless they’re a single parent of multiple children.

The education system in our country is a mess. I'm truly grateful for teachers like you. I seriously don't know you how you do it.

I thank the teachers at my kids school all the time. I know how hard it is. Especially with the shortages.

The future of education is going to be online learning. You'll have administrators and kids will learn on tablets or other devices.

There simply won't be enough teachers. There aren't enough now.
Thanks for the support. You are right about virtual education. I have pivoted toward it realizing it is definitely the future of education. It’s probably my last pivot before retirement.

I’ll be the first to admit education is a mess and politics is one of the biggest reasons today.

Reactions: bashby33
First year Hilton Head high school rent was 1300 in bluffton, health insurance is through the state, so it was probably $150 when I was single, went up after marriage and kids. I had 60k of student loans when I graduated they were paid off within 8 years. Second -5 years in walterboro. 6-7 at RB Stall HS in north charleston, then Berkeley for two years (lived in Summerville) and lastly back home to union county. Most teachers wont become millionaires, but, they can live ok, and they certainly do not qualify for WIC unless they’re a single parent of multiple children.
Do you think marriage and kids played into your decision to leave education? As your family grew you had more financial responsibility and it’s hard to give them more on a teachers salary.

Like I said, a divorce literally pulled me into poverty. I was not going to qualify for WIC on paper, but I was literally drowning in debt…without a student loan payment. My biggest sin was marrying one individual who went crazy after marriage but I had a kid with before she decided to go whacko.

Do you think marriage and kids played into your decision to leave education? As your family grew you had more financial responsibility and it’s hard to give them more on a teachers salary.

Like I said, a divorce literally pulled me into poverty. I was not going to qualify for WIC on paper, but I was literally drowning in debt…without a student loan payment. My biggest sin was marrying one individual who went crazy after marriage but I had a kid with before she decided to go whacko.
marriage and kids had more to do with the flexibility than anything. On top of teaching i coached multiple sports. I realized at some point I’d be missing my own kids stuff. That was the straw. The increase in pay has been great, but it’s a bonus compared to being able to pop over to the elementary school and eat lunch with my kids or leave my office every Friday at noon! sorry about the divorce, that honestly wrecks a lot of folks financial situations regardless of career path. I see it in my work all the time.

marriage and kids had more to do with the flexibility than anything. On top of teaching i coached multiple sports. I realized at some point I’d be missing my own kids stuff. That was the straw. The increase in pay has been great, but it’s a bonus compared to being able to pop over to the elementary school and eat lunch with my kids or leave my office every Friday at noon! sorry about the divorce, that honestly wrecks a lot of folks financial situations regardless of career path. I see it in my work all the time.
I appreciate your candor. What I think is a shame is the same people that demand schools stay open and that they are essential are the same ones most reluctant to voice for better pay and working conditions.

It’s all good on the divorce. I remarried and am better off emotionally and financially.

I also think it’s worth noting that although we get “all this time off” you obviously felt like a career change would allow you to see your kids milestones. You obviously are aware that teachers have 9 months where getting time off is very difficult. If you coach, then it becomes almost year round.

So why did you leave such a wonderful job? Asking for a friend.

I appreciate your candor. What I think is a shame is the same people that demand schools stay open and that they are essential are the same ones most reluctant to voice for better pay and working conditions.

It’s all good on the divorce. I remarried and am better off emotionally and financially.

I also think it’s worth noting that although we get “all this time off” you obviously felt like a career change would allow you to see your kids milestones. You obviously are aware that teachers have 9 months where getting time off is very difficult. If you coach, then it becomes almost year round.
Agreed. Teaching is a difficult profession and it can suck the life out of you if you allow it. The time off was minimal for me as coaching football was basically 90 hours a week 48 weeks a year.
A teacher who “just” teaches, is still locked in while school is in, but can leave before 4pm. But they don’t have the flexibility that I do.
So why did you leave such a wonderful job? Asking for a friend.
read the previous posts.

Bottom Line is if there is a Will there is a Way. A bet if the Cocks were ranked in the Top Five every year and playing in the "Playoffs" in contention to Win the Natty most of you Peeps would have a Will and find a Way to be a Real Fan instead of a Bandwagon Fan. (REAL TALK)

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Bottom Line is if there is a Will there is a Way. A bet if the Cocks were ranked in the Top Five every year and playing in the "Playoffs" in contention to Win the Natty most of you Peeps would have a Will and find a Way to be a Real Fan instead of a Bandwagon Fan. (REAL TALK)
Ez there Mac, they can’t admit the truth……..we’re surrounded by folks who live their lives through 18 yr olds.

It's 9% for teachers (for now) and is likely to increase if legislators are to be believed.

My wife is a teacher.

Teachers get almost no Personal Leave Time to take off during the school year. (I started this year with 80 hours of PTO, and I've already earned an additional 8 hours- my wife gets 5 PTO days a year because of her tenure and her district, new teachers start off with 3 in her district).

So if one of our kids are sick, as bad as she wants to take them to the doctor or handle it - I have to do it. She can't. Last year my son got an award at the high school, she couldn't come. I went. That's really how ti works with teachers. They miss a lot - especially with their own kids.

When my kids were in elementary school, I ate lunch with each of them every 2 weeks on Fridays. In all the years of elementary school with our 3 kids, my wife never ate lunch with any of our children. She was working. I did it dozens and dozens of times.

I don't understand the "9 month job" talk. My wife works through the first week of June and she's required back to school the last week of July because she works at a magnet program. The Midlands area has numerous magnet programs and a bunch of teachers fulfilling those roles.

She's also "encouraged" (Read required) to take a class in the summer even though she's taken dozens of classes at this point in her career. Before COVID, one of the last classes she took in the summer required her to go out of town for a week. They didn't even cover her meals out of town or gas to get there. She had to pay those expenses herself. (How many of you have jobs where you are basically required to go take a class out of town and pay for your own meals while you are out of town? I know my company pays for that stuff).

Most of her fellow teachers are also "encouraged" to take a course or a variety of 1, 2, 3 week classes over the summer. (Mind you, these classes are not free- and some are not cheap- and no, the school doesn't usually pay for them) like most employers would do if you had a private sector job). I know about 3 years ago she went out of town for a week in the summer to the Lowcountry and got a tote as a "gift" for her week out of town. It was a nice tote. But a $40 tote is not much of a payment for a week out of town in the summer time doing work.

Last Tuesday, my wife left home before 7am - as usual, -worked her full day, had a tutoring session after school and then was required to stay for parent evening activity where parents come to school. She walked in at 8:30pm - exhausted. Now, that was unusual. That only happens about once a month. But even that sort of thing goes unnoticed by most parents.

Plus, does the "9 month job" talk include all the Friday evenings my wife and I are out to dinner where she is getting phone calls from parents or emails from students worried about something the previous week- some of them not "fun" phone calls? I don't think my wife and I have enjoyed a Friday night date night in years where she didn't get a phone call or a few "urgent" emails from parents or students about something that happened during the week.

Of course, she also gets some of these same emails on Sunday afternoons and evenings. Yeah, she could ignore them. But if she does, she'll pay for it during the week. So she answers them and tries to take care of the issue.

I have to be honest, I make over double what my wife makes, I never answer emails on the weekend (unless one of my coworker buddies is emailing me about something goofy and I just want to email back) and I am asleep when she leaves each morning. She works a LOT, LOT harder than I do and I don't have to deal with absolutely crazy parents and students.

Oh, I am not complaining too much. No, she didn't sign up for some of the garbage she has to do now. It's not in the job description. But she sure isn't working a "9 month job" either.

and I'll add- my wife has told me many times she is worried about teaching as a profession in South Carolina. The turnover is staggering. The numbers leaving the profession are huge and the numbers of incoming teachers can't keep up.

She has had a handful of super talented, young, wonderful teachers come through her school the last 3-4 years who have worked a year or two and quit. They aren't coming back. (I'm not talking about those quitting because of COVID, this problem was there before COVID) This has saddened her worse than anything because several of them have been top notch.

A lot of them are not coming back and aren't willing to work these easy, "9 month" jobs anymore. The "free market" is SCREAMING that the pay is not enough - not nearly enough. But the folks in Columbia in the legislature that live and die by the free market are sticking their fingers in their ears.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT