ADVERTISEMENT

Here's my gripe with the Portal, graduate transfers and extended eligibility

Southern Fried Chicken

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2022
Years ago, Freshmen could not play varsity ball. I'm not going to defend/attack that philosophy. But it did allow a coach to instill/teach his system. Perhaps, doing away with this system signaled the end of the Student/Athlete ....... (LOL, LOL, LOL!!!)

Transfer? Then sit out a season. Again, not my dog in that fight but, I'm a supporter.

OKAY .... N.I.L. killed college football. We just won't admit it yet. And often after a death, those closest, refuse to accept the loss.

NO!!! My gripe is The Portal/Grad Transfers ... The Giver of False Hope and the Destroyer of Programs. Look at us. I believe 2 of our starters CAN NOT play after this season. So, to whom is Paris (not blaming him, at all) teaching his system? Sure, this grad transfer crap might help you go 16-16 instead of 14-18 ..... this year. But, did we lose a 'next year kid,' who might have been a darn good #6 or #7 man, because of playing time, & he felt lost on the depth chart? "Who are 'THEY' getting next year? Do 'THEY' really want me? If "HE" comes here, I'm I even going to get a chance???

LOL! In another post, I ended my comment with, what I now think will be my 'every post' sign off ....

R.I.P. COLLEGE SPORTS

Last edited:
Reactions: Brutal Rooster
Years ago, Freshmen could not play varsity ball. I'm not going to defend/attack that philosophy. But it did allow a coach to instill/teach his system. Perhaps, doing away with this system signaled the end of the Student/Athlete ....... (LOL, LOL, LOL!!!)

Transfer? Then sit out a season. Again, not my dog in that fight but, I'm a supporter.

OKAY .... N.I.L. killed college football. We just won't admit it yet. And often after a death, those closest, refuse to accept the loss.

NO!!! My gripe is The Portal/Grad Transfers ... The Giver of False Hope and the Destroyer of Programs. Look at us. I believe 2 of our starters CAN NOT play after this season. So, to whom is Paris (not blaming him, at all) teaching his system? Sure, this grad transfer crap might help you go 16-16 instead of 14-18 ..... this year. But, did we lose a 'next year kid,' who might have been a darn good #6 or #7 man, because of playing time, & he felt lost on the depth chart? "Who are 'THEY' getting next year? Do 'THEY' really want me? If "HE" comes here, I'm I even going to get a chance???

LOL! In another post, I ended my comment with, what I now think will be my 'every post' sign off ....

R.I.P. COLLEGE SPORTS
It was Coach Paris decision to accept the grad transfers knowing they were one year pieces. Honestly I wouldn’t do it as a first year coach trying to build but that’s his decision. If this season continues to play out as it has—and there’s no reason to believe it won’t, he would be wise to play the kids that have the option to come back and see if they can sink or swim at this level.

I think the days of system kids in college basketball are long gone. Even before the transfer portal there were one and dones. This one just makes it more widespread

The only thing I’ve seen is that there was a problem with his credits transferring to two other major schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT