ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock Football Loss That Still Haunts You

BigWillieCock

Gold Member
Sep 14, 2007
Couple of rules.

1) DO NOT SAY NAVY (time to put that one to bed).

2) Has to be a loss by 10 points or less

For me it was the Push Off game at Clemson in 2000. I was on The Hill and it happened right in front of me. I can’t forget the extended arm nor the freaking roar when he caught the ball.

I would say NC State in 86, but we did get revenge in 87. So maybe not.

Couple of rules.

For me it was the Push Off game at Clemson in 2000. I was on The Hill and it happened right in front of me. I can’t forget the extended arm nor the freaking roar when he caught the ball.
That one still hurts for sure.
The LSU loss when the ref tackled Garcia was tough too... I was at that game with my GF at the time who was an LSU fan! 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: uscg1984
That one still hurts for sure.
The LSU loss when the ref tackled Garcia was tough too... I was at that game with my GF at the time who was an LSU fan! 🤦‍♂️
OMG. I totally forgot about that one. There are so many. Good call.

Tenn 2013 for me, and its not close, and after the Muschamp era, 2013 seems like a eternity ago.

If it's not Navy (and it certainly is) then it would have to be Auburn in the SEC title game. I know it doesn't meet your random criterion of 10 points or fewer, but I've never believed in arbitrary rules anyway. 2010 SECCG to Auburn is certainly the most important game we lost.

If it's not Navy (and it certainly is) then it would have to be Auburn in the SEC title game. I know it doesn't meet your random criterion of 10 points or fewer, but I've never believed in arbitrary rules anyway. 2010 SECCG to Auburn is certainly the most important game we lost.
Important yes. I totally agree. But it was over with the AU touchdown before the half. I spent a fortune on scalped tickets for that game. Wish I had that money back. It was an ass whoopin.

Couple of rules.

If you exclude Navy, it has to be the 2013 UT loss which kept probably the best USC team ever playing for the SEC. Next would be the 2011 Auburn game which also kept us playing for a championship. That was Garcia’s worst game but it was also a lot of BS ref calls. The fumble call on Lattimore was crazy. The UK loss after we beat Bama in 2010 was brutal bc we were up so big. The UT loss in2014 when we were up two touchdowns with 3 minutes to go was awful but didn’t ruin the season.

LSU 2012, we were ranked #3 in country, highest ranking I've ever seen a gamecock team have(was born in 1985) it proved we weren't ready for "primetime" I had felt that the team we had that year was ready to ascend to the mountaintop especially after the way they handled Georgia the week before.

Reactions: uscg1984 and gcm
2010 Kentucky. While it was certainly expected it was frustrating nonetheless.

I’m going with the 2017 loss to A&M in College Station. I took my son (he was 6 at the time) to Kyle Field. We had the lead and the ball midway through the 3rd quarter, and let me tell you that place was quiet. Of course, we blew it in typical Muschamp fashion, trying to sit on a lead. That game, along with the near-miss the previous week against La Tech, really soured me on Muschamp. That was a 9-win season that felt more like a 5 or 6-win season.

Couple of rules.

All of them. None of them are acceptable.

2014 Ta&m game. I knew we were on a down hill spiral and going to be a dumpster fire for the foreseeable future after that one.
That was really a downer after all those 11 win seasons. 8 years later and it’s still a mess. Why the University retains ray Tanner is beyond me with no progress is beyond me.

Last edited:
15 year old me was in tears after the 2000 Clemson game. We had a TD called back for a less flagrant offensive PI call than Rod Gardner's.

Everyone else has mentioned most of the worst ones. To add a couple of "honorable" mentions, the Florida game in 2006 in the Swamp where Jarvis Moss blocked Succop's potential game-winning FG attempt. Ugh!!

And the Auburn game that same year. Our TE (Jared Cook?) catches that TD pass in the endzone, and we upset ANOTHER team within Spurrier's second year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT