ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks announce home-and-home with Miami

I swannee! Fans complain about scheduling the CSUs of the world, and having neutral site games instead of a home and home against P5 opponents. The powers that be appear to have listened and schedule a P5 home and home. Said home and home is 7, I say again 7, years away, and we complain about it because it's not a cupcake team. You can't make this crap up.

I swannee! Fans complain about scheduling the CSUs of the world, and having neutral site games instead of a home and home against P5 opponents. The powers that be appear to have listened and schedule a P5 home and home. Said home and home is 7, I say again 7, years away, and we complain about it because it's not a cupcake team. You can't make this crap up.

Not me, I liked CSU, I like seeing just about everyone on the roster play, and I have posted before we should try and schedule Western Carolina more, even though a 2-9 Western Carolina team did score 31 on Champ and Co in 2016, i Like them as a regional opponent, but like CSU more now being a regular scheduled opponent.

I like winning more games in a season

Not me, I liked CSU, I like seeing just about everyone on the roster play, and I have posted before we should try and schedule Western Carolina more, even though a 2-9 Western Carolina team did score 31 on Champ and Co in 2016, i Like them as a regional opponent, but like CSU more now being a regular scheduled opponent.

I like winning more games in a season

I agree. I never liked neutral site games. I’m all for cupcakes to balance out SEC plus Clemson. I like being able to sit starters and play the whole roster like Clemson does. It helps develop the program and cuts down the mental and physical wear and tear.

Who knows how the season would have gone if we played Furman in the first game and Bentley was on the bench in the fourth quarter.

You got to it before I could. There is no winning. You schedule a week team, and people claim "it's a lose-lose situation. Nobody cares of you win and everyone laughs if you lose." They schedule mid-level teams at neutral sites and the comments you mentioned happen. They schedule this, and we see more whining. Bunch of morons.

Clemsux has it easier because of who is in their conference, not their non conference matchups. Unless we want to leave the SEC it’s not changing.

We had an open date to get ready for Clemson. We could’ve had an open month. We were horrible.

We have never won a national title and have only been in legitimate contention for one a few times. Go ahead and play some big boys. We have only won the SEC once. It’s not like scheduling Miami is going to prevent that from happening.

Also all 8 conference games are not tough. A good team should get through Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri and even Tennessee with relative ease. Who is the best team that any of those 4 beat?
We've never won the SEC Championship.

I wouldn't mind a series with VT.
And of course, one with OU is really high on my family's wish list.
But this will do, as a start.

VT, hell yeah they need to play the Hokies, I'd make the 2 1/2-3 hour drive from Richmond to Blacksburg to see that, as well as down to Columbia to see the other match between the two.

Reactions: paladin181
This is a step in the right direction. P5 programs are doing this more and more. Even Bama has a home and home with Texas upcoming. Clem with LSU and OU. Georgia has OU, Texas and Ohio State upcoming.

Plus, we have some history with Miami. Should be interesting. Need to get more of these on the schedule.

Reactions: Garnetskies
I have no problem replacing cupcakes on our schedule with good teams if that’s what we did with scheduling Miami. Why would anyone rather see us play teams like Furman or Woffard over a historically awesome team like Miami? These are the same types of fans who get excited about padding up stats against weak opponents and then pretend like we are doing so great. Yea, so and so set random records but 95% those numbers were ran up against <insert random sucky team here>.

In my personal experience and opinion. The game is more exciting and the atmosphere is much much much better when we are playing a quality opponent. The stadium is packed for SEC games. But when our cupcakes come to town the University “generously” donates the MANy of the tickets local government agencies

Last edited:
My mom used to say I Swanee all the time. I still don’t know what it means.

Reactions: Tall Squirrel
Perception, is everything, in today's landscape. While we were beating Clemson 5 in a row, they were winning conference championships, and going to major bowl games. Texas A&M went 7-5 this year, with all of there losses coming to top 11 ranked teams. There record gives the perception that they are mediocre at best. However, if they had drew Kentucky instead of UGA, and replaced Clemson, with NC State, there is a very good chance that they would be sitting at 9-3 and ranked well inside the top 25, with a better bowl coming.
The playoff committee has shown that they don't care about out of conference schedule. They look at all 12 games as a whole, and even then SOS is only a slight factor if you play in a P-5 conference.
While adding this game to future schedule increases fan interest, it is also a detriment to the overall program. There is no reward for having a top 5 SOS. It is a deterrent in being able to hire hot up and coming coaches, getting the best possible recruits, and overall perception of the program.
Clemson has proven that today's kids only want to win, and don't care about about SOS. They love huge victories and gaudy stats against lesser competition.
Not being a chicken little here, just trying to weigh the Pros and Cons of adding this game to the schedule.

Playing them at Hard Rock is infinitely better than playing them at the old Orange Bowl was. That was dangerous. Stay in Fort Lauderdale.
Another option is Coconut Grove. Beautiful Area, with lots of great restaurants, and if you want you can drive to South Beach in less than 20 minutes.

Reactions: king ward
PREACH.

The playoff committee has shown that they don't care about out of conference schedule.

Depends on the situation. Sometimes you really need the marquee non conference win to offset another loss. Baylor and TCU could have used this in 2014. Other years it may hurt a team to go too hard with OOC games.

Given that no one has a crystal ball to understand the dynamics of a playoff race 7-8 years away, might as well schedule interesting games for fan and recruit interest. If these big time OOC matchups were a problem, I don’t think we would see a trend where the UGAs and LSUs of the world are scheduling these types of games.

Perception, is everything, in today's landscape. While we were beating Clemson 5 in a row, they were winning conference championships, and going to major bowl games. Texas A&M went 7-5 this year, with all of there losses coming to top 11 ranked teams. There record gives the perception that they are mediocre at best. However, if they had drew Kentucky instead of UGA, and replaced Clemson, with NC State, there is a very good chance that they would be sitting at 9-3 and ranked well inside the top 25, with a better bowl coming.
The playoff committee has shown that they don't care about out of conference schedule. They look at all 12 games as a whole, and even then SOS is only a slight factor if you play in a P-5 conference.
While adding this game to future schedule increases fan interest, it is also a detriment to the overall program. There is no reward for having a top 5 SOS. It is a deterrent in being able to hire hot up and coming coaches, getting the best possible recruits, and overall perception of the program.
Clemson has proven that today's kids only want to win, and don't care about about SOS. They love huge victories and gaudy stats against lesser competition.
Not being a chicken little here, just trying to weigh the Pros and Cons of adding this game to the schedule.

This times a hundred.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT