ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks vs Urban

MIghtee

Aug 9, 2019
Urban Meyer has lost 32 games in his head coaching career, dating back to the 2001 season and covering 17 seasons. We've lost 35 games just since 2014. In our last 17 full seasons we've lost 90 games.

He won 187 games in that same span. Any guesses on how far back you have to go from our current period to get to 187 program wins? Hint: Morrison was our head coach. Yep, 31 years.

10-3 record in bowl games.

He won at 90% clip at OSU.

The absolute low-point of his career was an 8-5 year at UF, and that was considered abysmal for him. Think about that. Even if we get his worst, we're looking at 8 wins a year.

The man is simply a winning machine. He just does not lose.

I can understand saying it's a long shot, but how do you NOT make the inquiry???

Urban Meyer has lost 32 games in his head coaching career, dating back to the 2001 season and covering 17 seasons. We've lost 35 games just since 2014. In our last 17 full seasons we've lost 90 games.

He won 187 games in that same span. Any guesses on how far back you have to go from our current period to get to 187 program wins? Hint: Morrison was our head coach. Yep, 31 years.

The absolute low-point of his career was an 8-5 year at UF, and that was considered abysmal for him. Think about that. Even if we get his worst, we're looking at 8 wins a year.

I can understand saying it's a long shot, but how do you NOT make the inquiry???
Will not happen.

Will not happen.
Honest to all, some of you are about at dumb as they come.

I respect your opinions, of course, but I just don't get the commitment to mediocrity.

Fans whine and moan that there's no commitment to excellence but then insist we should not even pursue a candidate who is a guarantee to win big. The last time we dared to dream big on a coach, we got three 11 win seasons out of it. That was considered a laughable long shot as well. Well, actually, it wasn't even considered that. Spurrier coming here was not even a consideration by anyone at the time...until it happened.

I just cannot imagine how any fan could not want this to happen or at least be pursued.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

Urban has that record because avoided disasters like this one. Utah was a good stepping stone move from Bowling Green, obviously UF had a history and OhSt was well, a no brainer.

He is not dumb enough to come here. If he were getting back in he could go to SC, Notre Dame, hell even Michigan would take him in a skinny minute.

Reactions: howard13
And, we don't need to put this decision in the hands of Tanner. I believe he is ready to check-out from his semi-retired job, and I hate to think of the deeper mess he could put us in.

Urban has that record because avoided disasters like this one. Utah was a good stepping stone move from Bowling Green, obviously UF had a history and OhSt was well, a no brainer.

He is not dumb enough to come here. If he were getting back in he could go to SC, Notre Dame, hell even Michigan would take him in a skinny minute.

In the 4 seasons prior to hring Urban, Utah was 9-3, 4-7, 8-4 and 5-6. Urban comes along and goes 22-2 in 2 seasons. He leaves and the next 3 seasons they go 7-5, 8-5 and 9-4.

Neither Ron Zook nor Jim McElwain found nearly the success at UF as Urban did. He coached to .900 win percentage at OSU, which exceeds both Hayes and Tressel (both about .800).

Wherever he's coached he's been the best they ever had.

And, we don't need to put this decision in the hands of Tanner. I believe he is ready to check-out from his semi-retired job, and I hate to think of the deeper mess he could put us in.

If Tanner has a firing neuron, he's already made the call. If he could pull this off, he would be safe as AD for the rest of his life.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I respect your opinions, of course, but I just don't get the commitment to mediocrity.

Fans whine and moan that there's no commitment to excellence but then insist we should not even pursue a candidate who is a guarantee to win big. The last time we dared to dream big on a coach, we got three 11 win seasons out of it. That was considered a laughable long shot as well. Well, actually, it wasn't even considered that. Spurrier coming here was not even a consideration by anyone at the time...until it happened.

I just cannot imagine how any fan could not want this to happen or at least be pursued.

1- Meyer would not even give us a glance, it's not in his MO.
2- I am not for selling my soul to the devil just to have a chance at winning a Natty. The guy is a pure scumbag.

1- Meyer would not even give us a glance, it's not in his MO.
2- I am not for selling my soul to the devil just to have a chance at winning a Natty. The guy is a pure scumbag.

My wife would have never given me a glance if I hadn't approached her and asked her out. Same for most guys here, I'm betting

As to the scumbag part, I have no idea. I just want to win and he wins.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You're obviously very pro-Muschamp and fine with the status quo. I respect your opinion. I disagree with, but I respect it.

Way to put words in my mouth. It's cool as we all stated last week or so, you are a troll, and a bad one at that.

We should be knocking on every good candidates door no matter their geographical location. Stoops, Meyer, Leach, Whittenham, Miles.
We need a guy that can take less talent and improve them like a Leach. Open the checkbook

Indeed. I have Meyer at the top of my list but your approach is the correct one.

In the 4 seasons prior to hring Urban, Utah was 9-3, 4-7, 8-4 and 5-6. Urban comes along and goes 22-2 in 2 seasons. He leaves and the next 3 seasons they go 7-5, 8-5 and 9-4.

Neither Ron Zook nor Jim McElwain found nearly the success at UF as Urban did. He coached to .900 win percentage at OSU, which exceeds both Hayes and Tressel (both about .800).

I'm not a big urban man, but it's hard to argue with these figures.
Also even if it's not urban you're right that we should never be scared to set high goals.

I'm not a big urban man, but it's hard to argue with these figures.
Also even if it's not urban you're right that we should never be scared to set high goals.

I'm not particularly a fan of Urban's either. However, how many Gamecock fans were Spurrier fans before he became our coach? Not many.

If Urban was currently employed, it wouldn't even be on my radar. But he's just sitting there for the taking. I'm not denying the long odds but the cheesy saying comes to mind: you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

1- The guy is a pure scumbag.

Ya know, I have seen a lot of posters on this forum say similar things. Only thing, they never mention what he does/did to deserve such a reputation. Oh, they'll post things like he's a cheat & liar but, again, never with any hard core evidence. Not saying he isn't but, just what is it that makes this sonovabitch such a scumbag?

We'd all love him, but there's not a damn chance in hell he comes here.

This is where I think Tanner has something of an advantage in approaching Meyer. Tanner was a very successful head coach and highly respected in the profession. I'm sure Meyer sees us as second-rate but Tanner's personality and reputation in coaching gets him in the door in my opinion to at least have a discussion with Meyer.

Perhaps Meyer wants to shed the image that he'll only take the safe blue-blood job. Maybe he would want to prove he can establish a consistent winner where even Spurrier couldn't do it. Never know until you ask.

Reactions: gamecockblack
This is where I think Tanner has something of an advantage in approaching Meyer. Tanner was a very successful head coach and highly respected in the profession. I'm sure Meyer sees us as second-rate but Tanner's personality and reputation in coaching gets him in the door in my opinion to at least have a discussion with Meyer.

Perhaps Meyer wants to shed the image that he'll only take the safe blue-blood job. Maybe he would want to prove he can establish a consistent winner where even Spurrier couldn't do it. Never know until you ask.

It's absolutely worth the inquiry. There would also be significantly less pressure to achieve here than at Ohio State or Florida...

But I'm not sure Tanner's reputation as a great college baseball coach would move the needle for Urban.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
It's gonna be reminiscent of when Bobby Knight was available and instead we hired NIT Dave.
I remember that. How different USC's MBB history if McGee? had hired Bobby. I was disappointed. A lot were disappointed except WF fans who partied in the streets. It took a small tactical nuclear weapon to get rid of Dave.

Reactions: MIghtee
There would also be significantly less pressure to achieve here than at Ohio State or Florida...

That's not an insignificant factor. Urban left his last 2 posts b/c he was just burned out. It's the nature of how he coaches. I wouldn't necessarily tell him straight up that we have low expectations, but Tanner should be able to find a way to spin it to him that coaching here will not be a meat grinder like UF or OSU.

Further, when Spurrier came here, the question was: can anyone win at South Carolina? He showed you CAN win at a high level here...he just lost control of things at the end. On top of that, Spurrier had major trouble adjusting to the current college football landscape. Urban does not have that hurdle.

Heck, fans have deified Spurrier for just getting us to the SECCG. If Urban could win one (which is likely) he'd be immortalized as a god.

I remember that. How different USC's MBB history if McGee? had hired Bobby. I was disappointed. A lot were disappointed except WF fans who partied in the streets. It took a small tactical nuclear weapon to get rid of Dave.

I was losing my mind at the time on CT, but so many of the other posters were so skittish of him b/c he was mean to players. Now we have Frank Martin....

Ya know, I have seen a lot of posters on this forum say similar things. Only thing, they never mention what he does/did to deserve such a reputation. Oh, they'll post things like he's a cheat & liar but, again, never with any hard core evidence. Not saying he isn't but, just what is it that makes this sonovabitch such a scumbag?

Honestly, do you not follow the news?

No argument from me, he is a great coach.

Going to Utah from BG was a must, no advantages there.

But going to UF and OhSt. Is not “walking out on a limb” these are really great to Elite programs. Urban is a top recruiter and a great coach.

The point was, you don’t have to be a miracle worker at Oh St. or UF to get elite talent and coach it up to produce. You just have to be good.

Look how long it took Spurrier to win big here. The same results in the same amount of time are not likely, that is all i am saying.

No argument from me, he is a great coach.

Going to Utah from BG was a must, no advantages there.

But going to UF and OhSt. Is not “walking out on a limb” these are really great to Elite programs. Urban is a top recruiter and a great coach.

The point was, you don’t have to be a miracle worker at Oh St. or UF to get elite talent and coach it up to produce. You just have to be good.

Look how long it took Spurrier to win big here. The same results in the same amount of time are not likely, that is all i am saying.

I honestly think he would get us to the top 10 by at least year 3. The game had changed quite a bit in the short time Spurrier was in the NFL. It was really a different landscape, particularly recruiting. Spurrier, by his own admission never adjusted to modern recruiting.

Urban wouldn't have any adjustment period. Plus, he's won big recently and his name would carry huge weight with recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT