ADVERTISEMENT

GNT: Commitment Corner and more

B

Brian Shoemaker

------------------------
DID YOU KNOW?
You can receive this report (Gamecock Nation Today) early each morning in your email inbox. Sign up here.
------------------------

Gamecock Nation Today
Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Good morning from Gamecock Central.

The football program picked up a big commitment from Rivals250 wide receiver Michael Wyman, and the baseball team earned a big 5-2 win versus North Carolina.

Today's events:
• Women's Basketball: Dawn Staley meets with the media
• Softball: USC Upstate
• Equestrian: NCEA Championship (Waco)
• Women's Golf: SEC Championships (Birmingham)
• Men's Tennis: SEC Championships (Gainesville)
• Women's Tennis: SEC Championships (College Station)

1. Commitment Corner: Michael Wyman

South Carolina picked up its fifth commitment of the 2020 class Tuesday when Greensboro (N.C.) four-star WR Michael Wyman announced his pledge to the Gamecocks.

Bio: 6-foot-4, 197-pounds. No. 174 overall 2020 prospect, No. 34 wide receiver and No. 9 overall prospect in North Carolina.

Recruiter of record: Offensive coordinator Bryan McClendon

Offers: 40-plus, including South Carolina, Auburn, East Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue and West Virginia.

Why South Carolina? "I would say the facilities, the strength and conditioning coach, coach (Will) Muschamp, coach B-Mac have been recruiting me from day one. They already have their 2020 quarterback and some other big playmakers already coming in and that played a big role in it too."

Scouting Report: "His athletic ability is there. I think he can add just the same (things at the college level) as he has in high school, because he's such a talent. He's just got to go down there and be comfortable and fit in and work hard. His talent level is out of the roof. As long as he works had, the sky is the limit." - Dudley head coach Steven Davis

Complete Wyman Commitment Coverage:
Wes Mitchell

2. ⚾ Baseball defeats North Carolina

• South Carolina exercised some demons in Charlotte, beating North Carolina for the first time in four tries, 5-2. The Gamecocks are now 22-15 on the year (and still 4-11 in SEC play).

• Dylan Harley looked exceptional in his outing, retiring the first 10 batters he faced before giving up two runs on a Michael Busch homer. He finished after 3.1 innings and six strikeouts.

• Andrew Eyster hit his second home run of the month, hammering one to right field in the third inning after Brady Allen doubled in the second. Allen finishing with two hits.

• TJ Hopkins also homered, hitting a solo shot in the seventh to give the Gamecocks some cushion. He’s now second on the team with nine bombs, three behind team-leader Jacob Olson.

• Brett Kerry picked up his fourth save of the year after John Gilreath threw 2.1 near-perfect innings, giving up just one hit and striking out four.

Baseball Links:News | SEC Standings | Schedule | Statistics | Polls

Collyn Taylor

3. This, that, and the other

Football: Another Carolina Podcast - Spring wrap, recruiting talk - Gamecock Central football and recruiting insider Wes Mitchell joins host Pearson Fowler on Another Carolina Podcast to wrap up spring practice and talk recruiting. (link)

Football: Projecting the post-spring defense depth chart - With South Carolina's spring practice now complete, we take a look at what a depth chart might look like, using the spring game and information gathered as our guide. (subscription)

Football Recruiting: Simmons with what he's hearing about Javion Cohen - Rivals.com recruiting expert Chad Simmons goes in-depth about recent USC decommitment Javion Cohen. (subscription)

Football Recruiting: Myles Murphy has decision time frame in mind - The latest with a top South Carolina football target. (subscription)

Baseball: One-on-one with Skylar Meade - Entering his second season at USC, pitching coach Skylar Meade had a good idea of what he had returning, but things changed quickly. (link)

Women's Golf: Gamecocks head to 2019 SEC Championships - USC opens postseason play this week at the 2019 SEC Championship. The five-day event takes place April 17-21. (link)

Women's Golf: Price earns SEC weekly honor - USC freshman Emily Price was named the SEC Women's Co-Freshman Golfer of the Week. (link)

Women's Golf: Go honored? - USC junior Lois Kaye Go was named SEC Women's Golf Scholar-Athlete of the Year. (link)

Women's Tennis: Cline earns highest singles ranking of career - USC senior Paige Cline is No. 23 in this week's Intercollegiate Tennis Association singles poll, the highest ranking of her collegiate career. (link)

Track & Field: Gamecocks dominate weekly track & field awards - USC's weekend on the track led to several accolades as USTFCCCA and SEC weekly awards were announced. (link)

Equestrian: Gamecocks prepped for NCEA Championship - The equestrian team is set to compete at the 2019 NCEA Championships hosted by Baylor from Wednesday through Saturday. (link)

Softball: South Carolina starts week with Wednesday game - USC returns home and hosts USC Upstate tonight. (link)

Jackson Fields

4. Five questions with...

Gamecock Central is talking with some Twitter followers to hear their reactions to what is happening in Carolina Athletics. The first topic of discussion is the 2019 Garnet & Black Game.

Speaking with Seth (GamecockArt) is Cole Counts, who leads the GCockRecruiting account, and Creighton Odom (CreightonUSC), who was Cocky for USC, with his first game being the legendary 2010 home game versus Alabama.

1. What were your overall thoughts on how the team looked during the spring game?

CreightonUSC: We looked to be in great shape and you can tell we have athletes in roster spots 1-85. DBs look strong. Liked seeing the 2nd year of an up-tempo offense.

ColeCounts3: I think the team looked pretty good to be honest. It’s good to see some of the QBs play well and compete. Joyner looked comfortable back there, as well as Hilinski to be a true freshman. It was good to see the Garnet squad score 2 times in the 4th quarter as well.

2. What player or player group stood out to you the most, and why?

CreightonUSC: The easy answer would be the DBs and QBs, but I already knew what we had there. The RBs stood out to me, from the young Harris and Fenwick to reliable Swiss Army-knife Turner.

ColeCounts3: Offensively it would be Jay Urich. I believe he might have found a good spot to be in. The kid can pass, catch, and run. It would be interesting to see him on some WR sweeps that could lead to a WR reverse pass play later in the game. Defensively would be Derek Boykins with the three stops in the red zone. That was very promising to see a young guy change the momentum like that.

3. If you could name a spring game MVP who would you give it to?

CreightonUSC: I’d have to go with the triple-threat JAY URICH! Excited to see how the coaches can fit him in this year.

ColeCounts3: There were a lot of players that could get it but overall I’d have to say Parker White. It might not be a one game kinda MVP, but he has really grown a lot as a player and it’s good to see him get that scholarship. I feel like that will help boost his confidence even more. I’m truly impressed in how much he has developed.

4. What did you think about the multicolor endzones? Would you like to keep them or maybe a different look?

CreightonUSC: Loved them, want to see them more and maybe even the script font in them.

ColeCounts3: Personally I’m not a fan of the multicolored. I would prefer the endzones to be either garnet or black, depending on the uniforms. Would be cool to match the endzones with the color of the jerseys.

5. There’s a special celebrity participant every year. Who would you like to see as next year’s celebrity player in the spring game?

CreightonUSC: In 2010, we started SEC play by parading out our first National Championship Baseball team before kickoff of the UGA game. Led by Jackie Bradley Jr., I’d like to see us bring that fortune back to Willy-B. Bring down JBJ!

ColeCounts3: I’m going to go with President Pastides. How much he has put into the university over his time here, he deserves it.

5. This Date in Gamecock History

April 17, 1986 – Offensive records fell in a 25-10 blowout of The Citadel.

• The Gamecocks set a school record with 33 hits, including five each by DH Charlie Aldrich and LF Garrett Carter and four from CF Jeff Morris and RF Dave Smyth.
  • Aldrich hit three home runs and catcher Scott Lambert hit two before giving way to Jeff Churchich behind the plate, who had a home run of his own.
  • Every USC starter had at least one hit in the game.
  • On the mound Casey Reed started but suffered through giving up six unearned runs in 4.1 innings, giving way to Lee Whatley and Clint Sawyer, with Whatley picking up the win.
John Parker, gamecockarchives.com

6. Birthdays and Celebrations!

Robert Beary – A transfer from Pensacola Junior College where he set a school record with 16 home runs in 2008, Beary made 22 starts for the Gamecocks in 2010, hitting .276 with 14 RBI. He scored the tying run in College World Series victories over Oklahoma and UCLA (national championship game). Beary would make 60 starts as a senior in 2011, moving between left field, right field and catcher. He hit .289 with 35 RBI that year and was named the MVP of the Columbia NCAA Regional as the Gamecocks repeated as national champions. Beary hit .455 with a 2B, 3B, HR and four RBI in the three games of the regional. His leadoff double in the bottom of the 9th would lead to him scoring the winning run against Texas A&M in the College World Series. Beary now works as a deputy for Richland County.

• Chris Abrams (football/safety, 1993-96)
• Don Brant (football/defensive end, 1966-70)
• Tatumn Milazzo (women's soccer/defense, 2016-18)

Gamecock Central birthdays

@andypants
@biggs#
@Gamecox1
@wbrown0417

If you have a Gamecock Central account - free or subscription - you can add your birthday here.

John Parker, gamecockarchives.com

7. ⌚ Key Events (Countdown)

• April 25 – NFL Draft begins (8 days)
• May 8 – SEC Softball Tourney (21)
• May 21 – SEC Baseball Tourney (34)
• July 15 – SEC Media Days begins (89)
• July 20 – Muschamp Ladies Football Clinic (94)
• Aug. 31 – Football: Gamecocks vs UNC (136)

More happenings

• April 23 – Augusta, Spurs Up Tour
• April 24 – Midlands, Spurs Up Tour
• April 29 – Lancaster, Spurs Up Tour
• April 30 – Greenville, Spurs Up Tour
• May 2 – York, Spurs Up Tour
• May 4 – Baseball: Earl Bass jersey retirement
• May 7 – Sumter, Spurs Up Tour
• May 8 – Myrtle Beach, Spurs Up Tour
• May 9 – Atlanta, Spurs Up Tour
• May 14 – Charleston, Spurs Up Tour
• May 18 – SC Legends Camp

Will Muschamp is scheduled to appear at all of the Spurs Up Tour events. More information, including specific locations and ticket prices, will be announced as it becomes available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT