ADVERTISEMENT

GNT: The curious case of Josh Belk

B

Brian Shoemaker

========

Gamecock Central emails a new Gamecock Nation Today newsletter each weekday morning. To get your free copy, sign up for our email list.

========

Gamecock Nation Today
Thursday, February 14, 2019

Good morning!
Today is Valentine's Day.

Josh Belk quits football, Evan Hinson decides to focus on football, and the men's basketball team loses to No. 1 Tennessee. The women's basketball team hosts Georgia tonight. Tomorrow is the season opener for baseball and the home opener for softball.

Thanks for reading our newsletter. If you enjoy it, please tell your Gamecock buddies to sign up here.

Have a great Thursday! - Gamecock Central publisher Brian Shoemaker

317571c7-e9a0-46ac-a400-9bb9b5e17c11.jpg

Josh Belk. Credit: Chris Gillespie

1. The curious case of Josh Belk

With surprising news coming Wednesday that South Carolina sophomore defensive tackle Josh Belk is giving up football, we look back at one of the more unique stories Gamecock Central has covered in its 20-plus years.
  • June 12, 2015 - South Carolina offers Josh Belk

Steve Spurrier's staff is the first to offer the Lewisville standout following a camp session in Columbia. This was long before Belk became a four-star prospect and Army All-American. Clemson would offer a couple of days later.

"I love it," Belk said of South Carolina. "I grew up around here, about 45 minutes to an hour away. The coaches love me. They want you to get better. They stay on you. They want you to do the best you can. It means a lot. I feel like, I've still got a lot to prove, so hopefully I've got more to come."
  • Jan. 29, 2017 - Belk commits to Clemson

After multiple visits to both in-state schools, Belk commits to the Tigers.

"After much time and debate with my family, I am excited to announce that Clemson University is where I will seek to expand my education. The decision to commit to a college has not been something that I have taken lightly."
  • Jan. 2018 - Belk enrolls at Clemson

Belk goes through spring practice with the Tigers and has some standout moments.
  • May 16, 2018 - Belk announces he's leaving Clemson

After rumors swirl that the former four-star prospect is leaving Clemson, sources confirm the news, then Belk's former high school coach does the same, before Belk himself confirms the news.

"I will be transferring from Clemson University. I appreciate the Clemson staff, fans and Coaching staff. Thanks to Coach Swinney for the opportunity. Nothing bad to say about the University and my time there. Just feel that it's the best decision for my family and I. #GodsPlan"
  • June 8, 2018 - Belk commits to South Carolina

After two visits to South Carolina, Belk commits to South Carolina, and notes that he still has a strong relationship with the coaching staff from when they recruited him out of high school.
  • Aug. 2, 2018 - Belk officially joins South Carolina program
  • Aug. 30, 2018 - Belk's waiver is approved by NCAA

The NCAA grants Belk a waiver to play right away in 2018. Belk ultimately plays in six games and collects seven tackles.

"I think he can be a good one, I really do," defensive line coach Lance Thompson said. "He's got size. He's got quickness. I think he's got a little nasty about him, and he's coachable."
  • Feb. 13, 2019 - Belk announces he's giving up football

The rumors swirled online throughout the day and it was clear that Belk was considering leaving and he ultimately announced that he was.

"I fractured a vertebrae and decided to choose another path in life," Belk told Michelle of VizorSports.com according to a Tweet that Belk retweeted with the comment #GodsPlan. "One that won't potentially mess me up in the long run with injuries and all. Been praying and this is what God has led me to."

Head coach Will Muschamp eventually commented too, effectively ending one of the stranger tales we've covered.

"After talking with Josh Belk, he has decided to give up the game. He is a fine young man and we wish him the best."
– Wes Mitchell

42b0b0df-d9a7-4a0d-ba26-61d878c8cc36.jpg

Josh Belk. Credit: Chris Gillespie

2. What effect does this have on the program?

From scholarship implications to the defensive tackle rotation, there have been plenty of questions on The Insiders Forum as to how Belk’s departure affects the state of the Gamecock football team. We provide some answers here…

Belk’s “initial counter” scholarship counted towards the 2019 class, even though he enrolled and played in 2018. Once a player counts towards that total, as a signee or an enrolled player, that spot is taken. USC’s 2019 class was maxed out at 25, and that remains the case. There cannot be another prospect to come along and count in the 2019 group -- unless the staff found a way to count a prospect forward to 2020.

What Belk’s departure does do is free up a spot on the overall team scholarship limit of 85. As things stand, the total number of prospects USC signs in the 2020 class cannot be the maximum of 25 due to that 85-man cap, and the overall figure is up in the air pending further attrition/roster moves. But the Gamecock staff can pencil in another slot for 2020, since Belk will not be on the team.

New position coach John Scott Jr. still has some players with experience and talent on the roster.
  • The Gamecocks will return seniors Javon Kinlaw, Kobe Smith, and Keir Thomas inside. Former highly-ranked prospect Rick Sandidge is back for his sophomore season. J.J. Enagbare, another former four-star prospect, can play inside or outside and played plenty of tackle as a true freshman. Jabari Ellis redshirted last season and should be able to help some. The staff liked Tyreek Johnson as a freshman last season, but he tore his ACL, so he will get his chance this preseason. M.J. Webb could add depth at the tackle position.
  • Newcomers Zacch Pickens and Joseph Anderson could play inside or outside in the Gamecocks’ multiple front, so either player could figure into the equation. Pickens, in particular, is expected to factor in as a true freshman, but both have been physically impressive early on as January enrollees. Jaquaze Sorrells is not expected to see the field in year one, but the Rivals250 member has big potential for the future.
– Chris Clark

adad0bbc-8adb-433b-a826-4f66d268b16e.jpg

3. Signee of the Day - Joseph Anderson

With South Carolina's 2019 recruiting class completely signed and locked up, Gamecock Central is spotlighting one prospect each business day for 23 days.

Today's signee of the day is Murfreesboro (Tenn.) Oakland four-star defensive end Joseph Anderson, who committed to the Gamecocks last summer, and has already enrolled at USC.

Other offers: Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Penn State, Ohio State, Tennessee, among others.

Former Gamecock weighs in: Long arms and legs, uses hands well, sheds and recognizes plays relatively quickly. Around the ball a good bit. Raw. Needs to build out his frame, but that's what the weight room is for. - Former USC DT Langston Moore

Coach's corner: "I tell people all the time when God said ‘Hey, let’s have an SEC defensive lineman’, he said ‘here you go, here, here’s Joseph’. He’s blessed. His hands, he’s able to shed blocks really well. For being so tall, he plays with good pad leverage. He plays really fast, the way he maneuvers in the game. You’ll see him flash when the play goes away; he gets down the line of scrimmage really quick. He just requires double teams. He does a good job playing off of double teams. He understands how to fight pressure and doesn’t let them get into his body often and is able to extend with his long arms." - Siegel head coach Michael Copley
– Wes Mitchell

4. From Wednesday

Gamecocks can't keep up with No. 1 Tennessee. South Carolina couldn’t keep up with Tennessee, and fell 85-73 in Knoxville. In the first meeting between the two teams, South Carolina hung with Tennessee until the midpoint of the second half, when Tennessee pulled away for a comfortable win. The Volunteers made their run about 20 minutes earlier this time. (link)

Also see: MBB/WBB News | MBB Schedule | MBB SEC Standings

Martin addresses Hinson focusing on football. Frank Martin first sensed something was up with Evan Hinson the Friday before the Arkansas game. The junior that's been bouncing between football and basketball for the better part of three seasons wasn't his usual self as the Gamecocks got ready to play the Razorbacks. (link)

Gamecocks announce starting rotation. South Carolina's weekend rotation is officially set. Carmen Mlodzinski, who was the odds-on favorite to start Opening Day, will indeed get the ball to start the season as the Friday starter. Freshman Dylan Harley starts Saturday, followed by new Gamecock Reid Morgan rounding out the weekend as the Sunday starter. (link)

Gamecock target has 'by far' best visit. Tyler Rice is no stranger to being on campus at South Carolina, but had a first-time experience last weekend. The 2021 point guard has taken multiple visits to see the Gamecocks play, including Saturday, and got a chance to spend time with some other in-state products that made this visit his best yet. (link requires subscription)

Four-star RB Tirek Murphy intrigued by USC. Middle Village (New York) Christ The King's Tirek Murphy earned an offer from South Carolina last June, and one from Miami back in December after making a visit to Coral Gables. Now, the coach that recruited him to the Hurricanes' program is in Garnet and Black. (link requires subscription)

Few baseball players find out summer assignments. The season may not have started yet, but players are already finding out where they'll be playing this summer once the season ends. A few guys will be staying local while two more, as of right now, are shipping off to another one of the more prestigious summer leagues in the country. (link)

Bobby Bryant to be inducted into SC Football Hall of Fame. Born in Macon, Ga., Bryant was a three-sport star at Willingham High School before going to USC to play baseball and football. While at Carolina, Bryant lettered in both football and baseball for three years and was named the ACC Athlete of the Year in 1966 and 1967. (link)

Family is key ingredient in the Longs' commitment to USC. With his family's consistent devotion to USC, it makes sense that Kenneth Long's naming sponsorship is the Cyndi and Kenneth Long Family Football Operations Center. (link)

Rodrigues named SEC Freshman of the Week. South Carolina men's tennis true freshman Daniel Rodrigues was named the SEC Freshman of the Week. (link)

Women's Tennis breaks into Top 10. The women's tennis team moved up six spots to No. 9 in the newest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings. (link)

5. Plan your schedule accordingly
  • Thursday, 7 p.m. Women's Basketball, hosts Georgia, SEC Network
  • Thursday, 7 p.m. Carolina Calls featuring Frank Martin
  • Friday, 2:30 p.m. Softball, hosts UNC Greensboro
  • Friday, 3 p.m. Men's Tennis, hosts Clemson, YouTube
  • Friday, 4 p.m. Baseball, hosts Liberty, SEC Network+
  • Friday, 5 p.m. Softball, hosts Ohio University
6. This Date in Gamecock History

February 14, 2011 - In front of a national audience on ESPN's SportsCenter, Rock Hill native Jadeveon Clowney, the nation's No. 1 recruit, committed to South Carolina over Clemson and Alabama. He finished his Gamecock career with 130 tackles, 47 tackles for loss, 23 sacks, 20 quarterback hurries and nine forced fumbles. Clowney was the No. 1 selection in the 2014 NFL Draft.

– John Parker, gamecockarchives.com

Each day, Gamecock Central member LegionofBoom posts an "on this date" message on The Insiders Forum. Here is the post for Feb. 14 (link requires subscription).

7. Around Gamecock Nation
  • Tonight - "Date Night" at the women's basketball game (link)
  • Feb. 23 - Gamecocks at Mardi Gras Party, New Orleans (link)
  • Feb. 24 - Charleston Gamecock Club Oyster Roast (link)
  • Feb. 25 - Atlanta, Alumni Association President's Reception (link)
  • Feb. 27 - Greenville, Alumni Association President's Reception
  • March 9 - Charlotte Gamecock Club, Gamecock Yoga & Mimosas (link)
If you're involved with a local Gamecock Club, alumni association chapter or another Gamecock-related organization, please contact Gamecock Central publisher Brian Shoemaker at shoe@gamecockcentral.com.

8. Gamecock Nation Celebrations

Gamecock Central member birthdays:
If you have a Gamecock Central account (free or pay), you can add your birthday here.

Birthday. Jadeveon Clowney (DE, 2011-13): The nation’s No. 1 prospect, Clowney was a dominant force at South Pointe HS. He was named the USA Today National Defensive Player of the year, Mr. Football in the state of South Carolina and a Parade All-American. He signed with USC over Alabama and Clemson. He was named SEC Freshman of the Year by the league’s coaches who also named him second team All-SEC. Clowney was named Freshman All-American by The Sporting News, FoxSports, Rivals.com, CBSSports.com, Phil Steele, CollegeFootballNews.com and the Football Writers Association of America. Clowney became a more dominant force in 2012. He was chosen SEC Defensive Player of the Year and named to The Associated Press’ All-America team. He spent the 2013 season being double- and triple-teamed by offenses while also dealing with a foot injury, but was still second on the team in tackles for loss and sacks. He was named All-America by the American Football Coaches Association and earned All-SEC honors from both the league’s coaches and the Associated Press. Clowney was drafted in the first round by the Houston Texans and has been named to the Pro Bowl each of the last three seasons.

More Feb. 14 Birthdays:
Chris Adams, catcher, 1991-92
Arthur Broussard, defensive end, 1978-79
Alshon Jeffery, wide receiver, 2009-11
Ryght Jordan, running back, 1997-98
Kris Mick, offensive lineman, 2002-04
Anthony Wright, quarterback, 1994-98

– John Parker, gamecockarchives.com

9. Key Dates

Feb. 15: Baseball season begins
Feb. 27: Spring football practice begins
March 6-10: SEC Women's Basketball Tournament
March 13-17: SEC Men's Basketball Tournament
March 22-23: Will Muschamp Coaches Clinic
April 6: Spring football game
April 25-27: NFL Draft
Sept. 1: Football season begins

Did we miss something? Email shoe@gamecockcentral.com

We have breaking news alerts and more newsletters: customize preferences

Spread the word about the Gamecocks and this newsletter! If you enjoyed this newsletter, please forward it to a friend or two. If you were forwarded this newsletter, you can sign up here to start receiving your own copy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT