ADVERTISEMENT

Goodness, Texas is a complete mess. Some perspective for us.

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Though probably not a likely outcome yet, there's already strong consideration being giving to canning Sarkisian. Kansas was 0-100 in games where they were at least 24 point underdogs, before beating UT as 31 point dogs. Kansas had not won a league road game in 13 years. The last time Texas lost 5 games in a row, 80% of the US population had not been born yet. The last coach to lose to Kansas, Charlie Strong, was fired at season's end. Tom Herman was 7-3 last year and Texas paid him $15 million to go away. When asked directly, Sarkisian could not say whether the players have tuned him out.

The nutty thing is that Texas actually could afford Sark's $21 million buyout on the heels of paying Herman's $15 million buyout last year. And easily afford it. Their endowment is in excess of $30 billion, so money is never and will never be an issue there. The only thing that saves Sark is this: who else wants the job? It's become a revolving door of coaches there.

They are paying Sark $5.2 million this year. We're paying Beamer $2.75 million. We currently sit one game better than UT and will probably finish with the same 5-7 records.

If he's canned, we should pursue him as OC.

Reactions: TAV31
Sark, being California and left coast type of guy, was not a good fit for UT. But, since you asked 'Who else wants this job?', how about Kendal Briles! Texas born and raised, young, innovative, offensive-minded coach with enough OC experience to make him the perfect fit. I think he would take their call.

You really have to wonder what is driving Texas to the SEC. It's not money. Texas could buy the SEC if they wanted to.

Reactions: rogue cock
Sark, being California and left coast type of guy, was not a good fit for UT. But, since you asked 'Who else wants this job?', how about Kendal Briles! Texas born and raised, young, innovative, offensive-minded coach with enough OC experience to make him the perfect fit. I think he would take their call.
I don't know...Austin is pretty left coast. They definitely don't want a Briles there. Besides Tom Herman was supposed to be "Texas born and raised, young, innovative, offensive-minded coach." I think they just have to ride with Sark for a while.

Reactions: SCexpat38
There is just no way Sark would come here to be an OC.
We don't have the kind of jack it would take to get him to come over, and nobody is going to want to hear this, but here goes, Going from HC at Texas to an OC at Carolina is a definite step down. That could change in the future but for now, It is what it is.

Though probably not a likely outcome yet, there's already strong consideration being giving to canning Sarkisian. Kansas was 0-100 in games where they were at least 24 point underdogs, before beating UT as 31 point dogs. Kansas had not won a league road game in 13 years. The last time Texas lost 5 games in a row, 80% of the US population had not been born yet. The last coach to lose to Kansas, Charlie Strong, was fired at season's end. Tom Herman was 7-3 last year and Texas paid him $15 million to go away. When asked directly, Sarkisian could not say whether the players have tuned him out.

The nutty thing is that Texas actually could afford Sark's $21 million buyout on the heels of paying Herman's $15 million buyout last year. And easily afford it. Their endowment is in excess of $30 billion, so money is never and will never be an issue there. The only thing that saves Sark is this: who else wants the job? It's become a revolving door of coaches there.

They are paying Sark $5.2 million this year. We're paying Beamer $2.75 million. We currently sit one game better than UT and will probably finish with the same 5-7 records.

It has become a revolving door of new Millionaires!

The crazy thing is Kansas had Oklahoma on the ropes earlier this year. The OU quarterback pulled off a miracle to keep a drive alive on a 4th down late in the game.

Would have been strange to see Kansas defeat them both this year

Muschamp has his hand in the air.

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony and 3USC1801
Austin is to California as Okinawa is to the US, nominally a different legal jurisdiction, but effectively a colonial outpost.

You really have to wonder what is driving Texas to the SEC. It's not money. Texas could buy the SEC if they wanted to.
I'm disappointed in the SEC expanding to 16 members. I was disappointed to see the SEC expand to 14.

I still think that 8 is the ideal number of members for an athletic conference. You get to play every other conference member every year in football, a double round-robin with everyone in basketball, and at least one series with each member in baseball.

It also leaves room on your schedule for a good mix of OOC contests with nearby quality foes, "creampuffs" and intersectional institutions as well. I find this more appealing than a football conference championship game. Of course, I'm also a proponent of FBS doing what every other professional/collegiate/high school division does: have a true, full playoff system.

Last edited:
The boosters think that the Big 12 puts them at a disadvantage, when it's really the boosters that thought they should decide how the team was ran, that Herman just needed to coach the games and trust them for the rest, fired him after three years and seek what they thought would be the next Saban. Hell, the Big 12 isn't hurting Texas'prestige, they hurt the other teams with their money distribution and then suck so hard it ruins the prestige of the other teams that don't have a level playing field. Texas deserves what's coming to them and the minute they get in they will be second fiddle to TAMU which they ran out of the Big 12 in the first place.

Edit: three not one

The boosters think that the Big 12 puts them at a disadvantage, when it's really the boosters that thought they should decide how the team was ran, that Herman just needed to coach the games and trust them for the rest, fired him after three years and seek what they thought would be the next Saban. Hell, the Big 12 isn't hurting Texas'prestige, they hurt the other teams with their money distribution and then suck so hard it ruins the prestige of the other teams that don't have a level playing field. Texas deserves what's coming to them and the minute they get in they will be second fiddle to TAMU which they ran out of the Big 12 in the first place.

Yeah, A&M is much better than UT right now. As it is, UT would enter the league as 5-3 or 4-4 conference team at best.

We should be comparing ourselves to Kansas. They went out and hired a proven head coach albeit at a lower level.

Shocker, they’re improving and we aren’t.
That's a lie, we are improving, only metric which has not improved is Offense, we topped last two win totals, receivers are better than they've been in years, really it is all falling apart with the OL and an inherited QB depth problem. The only times we've had good enough blocking to see what the improvement elsewhere on offense was the first quarters of both Vandy and Mizzou and the entirety of the Florida game and the OL and OC were last minute hires so this is all far from a conclusive read which justifies even remotely the conclusion that Beamer is a bad head coach.

So far Texas through their arrogance has been a cancer to their last 2 conferences. I for one would not be surprised in a number of years they begin to want changes again for their own benefit and begin to make other members of the SEC uncomfortable. How that will turn out is anyones guess.

Reactions: Lakecock1
The boosters think that the Big 12 puts them at a disadvantage, when it's really the boosters that thought they should decide how the team was ran, that Herman just needed to coach the games and trust them for the rest, fired him after three years and seek what they thought would be the next Saban. Hell, the Big 12 isn't hurting Texas' prestige, they hurt the other teams with their money distribution and then suck so hard it ruins the prestige of the other teams that don't have a level playing field. Texas deserves what's coming to them and the minute they get in they will be second fiddle to TAMU which they ran out of the Big 12 in the first place.

Good analogy, Joe.

I wish that 11 members of the Big XII of 10 years ago not named the University of Texas had seceded from the Big XII as a group, formed their own league, and maybe invited TCU or some such to join them.

I imagine that the Big 8 members still in the Big XII have been regretting their merger with the Southwest Conference for the past 20 years..

So far Texas through their arrogance has been a cancer to their last 2 conferences. I for one would not be surprised in a number of years they begin to want changes again for their own benefit and begin to make other members of the SEC uncomfortable. How that will turn out is anyones guess.

It remains to be seen how Texas will handle not being the big dog in the conference. Not even in their own division. They will be sorely disappointed if they think they're gonna come in the SEC and throw their weight around.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Sark is a loser - always has been. He crumbles anytime the spotlight is directly on him. He's better in a role where he can hide in the background (like on those superstar USC and Bama staffs).

That's a lie, we are improving, only metric which has not improved is Offense, we topped last two win totals, receivers are better than they've been in years, really it is all falling apart with the OL and an inherited QB depth problem. The only times we've had good enough blocking to see what the improvement elsewhere on offense was the first quarters of both Vandy and Mizzou and the entirety of the Florida game and the OL and OC were last minute hires so this is all far from a conclusive read which justifies even remotely the conclusion that Beamer is a bad head coach.

You're living in an alternate reality unfortunately.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
Muschamp has his hand in the air.
ClutteredUnrulyBichonfrise-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: viennacocks
You're living in an alternate reality unfortunately.
Defense is better with worse players, special teams are better with a short roster, Vann has played like a different player along with all of the other WRs, our most experienced QB is a second year player whose been injured and we beat our win total spread. What did I say that's not true?

Defense is better with worse players, special teams are better with a short roster, Vann has played like a different player along with all of the other WRs, our most experienced QB is a second year player whose been injured and we beat our win total spread. What did I say that's not true?
Which other receivers outside of Vann are excelling as you suggest?

Defense isn't better than two years ago. They're ranked around the same with a difference in 2 points per game.

3.5 wins is basically 4 wins we were guaranteed (and we looked horrible while getting those 4 wins. Then we got lucky with a 5th win that Florida is an absolute dumpster fire.

Our win total would have been 4.5 or 5 if Vegas had known how terrible Florida turned out to be this year.

Tom Herman had 3 Top 25 teams at Texas in 3 of his 4 seasons there, including a Top 10 finish. His firing had to be for something other than football. The guy can evidently coach. Wish we had those results here.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Defense isn't better than two years ago. They're ranked around the same with a difference in 2 points per game.

3.5 wins is basically 4 wins we were guaranteed (and we looked horrible while getting those 4 wins. Then we got lucky with a 5th win that Florida is an absolute dumpster fire.

Our win total would have been 4.5 or 5 if Vegas had known how terrible Florida turned out to be this year.
We had the most physically perfect CB in twenty years (not best period just physical traits) one of the best DTs in the NFL, Dixon, Robinson, Jones and Muk, all of whom would start on this team

No, it would have been 2.5 if they knew we would be playing with a 3rd string FCS Catholic school QB.

Reactions: myrtlecock
We should be comparing ourselves to Kansas. They went out and hired a proven head coach albeit at a lower level.

Shocker, they’re improving and we aren’t.

LOL. They had lost 8 in a row before they beat Texas, who kinda look like Florida right now.

The SEC (read Alabama) will not let UT run the conference. Can you imagine what would happen if they moved to the SEC and brought the Longhorn network?

We had the most physically perfect CB in twenty years (not best period just physical traits) one of the best DTs in the NFL, Dixon, Robinson, Jones and Muk, all of whom would start on this team
lol now we're pretending our 2019 team was good defensively?

I told you. You're living in an alternate reality.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
lol now we're pretending our 2019 team was good defensively?

I told you. You're living in an alternate reality.
I didn't say it was good, but I listed four players in the NFL. Our last staff wasted defensive talent. We fielded awful defenses with great players and the results of the NFL drafts for all those years show it. Dixon and Robinson started at corner and nickel respectively over Smith who is our best cover corner now, so I don't know how you say those teams didn't have talent. Now if you're claiming I said that was a good defense in terms of how they performed then you are either being dishonest or you have no idea that you're putting words in my mouth.

The 2018 offense was pretty lack luster given they couldn't rush at all and only put together a decent pass attack about half of the games and that too was loaded with NFL talent. Would you say that it's proof the Daley, Bailey, Dowdle, Samuels, Smith and Edwards were bad or that the offense was bad for no good reason?

I love "fans" who do all they can to convince people their team isn't good.

The SEC (read Alabama) will not let UT run the conference. Can you imagine what would happen if they moved to the SEC and brought the Longhorn network?
Good point. Does anybody know (for certain) what the status of the Longhorn Network will be once Austin is an SEC Member?

Without the bully in Austin in the league, will the Big XII seek to start their own network? For their sake, I hope so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT