ADVERTISEMENT

Governor to announce all schools closed. Announcement today at 4pm.

I don’t understand the logic behind this. 38% of healthcare workers have kids in public schools. Do we really want a shortage of healthcare workers right now?

Screw the teachers and kids. Force them to remain in large groups. Makes sense!
First, f!ck you for being a prick. Second, young folks have the strongest immune systems, so if anyone must continue gathering, it should be young people. Third, no one suggested that they have an assembly. I don’t know how you define “large groups,” but 20ish per classroom doesn’t meet the CDC’s criteria.

They are needing to get ahead of this thing BUT I'm confident that contingency plans are in place or will soon be implemented to cover all essentials.

First, f!ck you for being a prick. Second, young folks have the strongest immune systems, so if anyone must continue gathering, it should be young people. Third, no one suggested that they have an assembly. I don’t know how you define “large groups,” but 20ish per classroom doesn’t meet the CDC’s criteria.
What about 3k in one building?

They are needing to get ahead of this thing BUT I'm confident that contingency plans are in place or will soon be implemented to cover all essentials.
"We" can also plan accordingly. If I were a healthcare worker with a young child in school, I'd probably spend today calling around to his friends' parents to see if one of them who will be at home feels comfortable letting him stay with them during the day. Or maybe my spouse works in the tourism or hospitality industry and will be home anyway very soon. There are always options and people tend to reach out and help each other during these times. We dont always have to throw our hands up in defeat at the first obstacle that comes along.

Reactions: atl-cock
I understand why. But feels a tad early for SC. I figured schools would remain open till at least Thursday or make it this whole week.

If 38% of our healthcare workers have kids is it reasonable to think that prob 28% of those have options for childcare with another parent or friend for a couple weeks. Especially since all the teachers will be home.

So in that sense, yea losing 10% of the work force to prevent a half million simultaneous sick people in SC to some manageable number of 10,000 or so yea is an easier choice to make.

Lowering the contagious curve is crucial to lowering the mortality rate.

They would bring it home, speakings to those with weaker immune systems. That's the problem.

Reactions: EgotisticalGamecock
I know it has been a long time since most here were in a school. Let me let you know how a typical (smaller) school operates. Kids come in (half ride/walk the other half by bus) and go to a holding area. At my school, the 8th grade waits in the cafeteria, 6th and 7th in the gym. For anywhere from 5-35 minutes, those kids are around 50-300 kids. (Plus adults).
Those 20 person classes you referenced? Sure, that's first period. Different classmates 2nd-6th. Lunchtime? 160 in the cafeteria.
Regardless of how strong the kids immune systems are, the risk is they carry the illness to the 45 adults in the building (who range from 22-64).

Obviously you aren't a teacher and haven't been inside a school in a while. Students change classes, eat lunch, ride buses, etc.... They come in contact with way more than the 20ish peers your clueless post suggest.

Obviously you aren't a teacher and haven't been inside a school in a while. Students change classes, eat lunch, ride buses, etc.... They come in contact with way more than the 20ish peers your clueless post suggest.
At no point did I suggest that students only come into contact with 20ish peers all day long as your clueless post suggests.

Must we assume that it has to be an all or nothing proposition? Couldn’t we keep schools open while making changes to the normal routine to limit exposure? Couldn’t students eat lunch in the classroom? Couldn’t bus arrivals be staggered? Use some critical thinking here, pal.

Yes, screw the teachers johnny boy! Genius are ya?. Their pay is worth the risk.

At no point did I suggest that students only come into contact with 20ish peers all day long as your clueless post suggests.

Must we assume that it has to be an all or nothing proposition? Couldn’t we keep schools open while making changes to the normal routine to limit exposure? Couldn’t students eat lunch in the classroom? Couldn’t bus arrivals be staggered? Use some critical thinking here, pal.
When you stated "20ish per classroom" doesn't meet the CDC standard, I think most logical people with average or above reading skills would infer that you do mean that kids only have to come into contact with 20 other kids per day.
And critical thinking skills or not, I believe there are way more moving pieces in play than you believe.

Reactions: viennacocks
Before school, during the lunch break and after school are times where you can easily find yourself surrounded by 500+ people on a daily basis. So it's sensible to minimize large crowds where possible.

So after March 31st we’re all good here? Whew! I’m glad there is end date to all of this. (I just love hearing that all these major business are closing until March 28th, 29th, whatever) I pray for all the small business owners in this country and around the world. I used to be one and let me tell you it’s hard enough running a business without this mess going on. This thing is going to absolutely crush the economy. Meanwhile 150,000 people on average die every day in the world.

So after March 31st we’re all good here? Whew! I’m glad there is end date to all of this. (I just love hearing that all these major business are closing until March 28th, 29th, whatever) I pray for all the small business owners in this country and around the world. I used to be one and let me tell you it’s hard enough running a business without this mess going on. This thing is going to absolutely crush the economy. Meanwhile 150,000 people on average die every day in the world.
I congratulate you on being willing to share an opinion for which you will likely be skewered.

I'm just guessing, but I think the 'End of March' date is a less panicky way of saying indefinitely. It's the poker equivalent of calling the bet on the flop then reevaluating on the turn.

My wife, a school nurse at Summerville, said the Governor will allow school Monday for kids to get homework and or access to a website(s), not to mention the kids who have prescriptions and need to pick up.
UPDATE: this will be up to individual districts. Dorchester 2 will announce after the governor’s conference.

Last edited:
North Carolina schools shut down yesterday (Saturday) and Virginia schools shut down late Friday. Both were 2-week closings.
At least two weeks. Many governors said this weekend that they would not be surprised if schools remained closed the rest of the YEAR.

I'm just guessing, but I think the 'End of March' date is a less panicky way of saying indefinitely. It's the poker equivalent of calling the bet on the flop then reevaluating on the turn.
If shutting down large parts of society that involve people congregating is the operative plan, I'm not thinking that two weeks is going to do it.

What schools closed? The whole state? Does it include tech schools and colleges?

Last edited:
Doesn’t look like they decided to go with Monday for elearning and just shut the whole thing down.

I work for the Greenville county schools district. And I usually get info before it becomes public. But, I havent hear anything yet.

Yes, screw the teachers johnny boy! Genius are ya?. Their pay is worth the risk.

Genius would be a stretch, but intelligent enough to deduce that either you or someone very close to you is a teacher. Stop being so sensitive and whiny, and tell me what good it’s going to do to close schools. Do you really expect that everyone is going to stay home for 2 weeks? There’s no chance of it. This virus is going to continue to spread with or without schools.

I work for the Greenville county schools district. And I usually get info before it becomes public. But, I havent hear anything yet.

I’m a part time math tutor at Greenville Tech. Nothing yet. May need to baby sit grandkids.

Reactions: jeff2001
When you stated "20ish per classroom" doesn't meet the CDC standard, I think most logical people with average or above reading skills would infer that you do mean that kids only have to come into contact with 20 other kids per day.
And critical thinking skills or not, I believe there are way more moving pieces in play than you believe.

If that’s the case, then your idea of average or above intelligence is different than mine. I draft contracts for a living. Words, unless specifically defined otherwise, mean what they ordinarily mean.

There seems to be a clear consensus thus far that, ordinarily, kids in school move about quite frequently during the day, whether it’s arriving, going to lunch, recess, class change, etc. In fact, I believe one of your earlier posts specifically alluded to this. That being the case, how then could you understand my post any other way? I specifically referred to kids in a classroom. They obviously aren’t there all day long.

The CDC has discouraged large gatherings. I believe it is possible (albeit difficult) to have a large number of people on a campus, while avoiding a large gathering. In other words, don’t congregate all together, and everyone stays in their defined area—you know, unless you believe neighborhoods are de facto violators of this CDC recommendation.

Last edited:
Something about this is not adding up, and I’m not getting a sense that it’s because “they” know something that we don’t.

Mcmaster keeps talking about state employees, working from home and whatnot. The vast majority of “jobs” aren’t state jobs, and can’t be done from home. Weird.

Reactions: Buzzkill1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT