ADVERTISEMENT

Great win!: but

Sandstorm7

Jan 22, 2011
Am I in the minority thinking Coach almost blew the best win of the year by not kicking the FG, and putting us up by 12 and sealing the deal, 33-21? After the onside kick I couldn’t watch. My heart was pounding. I’ve seen some horrific things happen to us. We won, and as SOS says”God smiled on the Gamecocks!”. Our staff can’t afford to get caught up in the moment and make wreckless decisions. Let’s hope they remain calm and make the correct call next time. GO COCKS!

IMO coach was playing the “ big picture “ percentages. More likely for a disaster on a fg attempt than a run. A&M had 90 yards to score and needed another one, with about a minute to go. Their offense wasn’t exactly humming along. Turned out they almost pulled it off but the percentages and then pretty weak A&M offense told SB what to do. Hindsight, the decision looked bad

Reactions: Neanderthal
We kick the FG, we also run 25 more seconds of the clock and they need two TD’s with about 40 seconds left. A&M was not stopping the the clock
until they held us on 4th & 1.
Why do you think kicking a FG runs 25 seconds off the clock? It stops the clock same as a tackle on 4th and 1. At most it runs off 2 or 3 seconds more. Clock stops when it goes through the uprights.

Not to mention they had just had a point after blocked that could have been run back for 2 points if not for a great tackle. Going for the first down and the win was the right call in my opinion. You don't make it you force them to go 95 yards and we made it too simple by getting in that stupid prevent defense.

Am I in the minority thinking Coach almost blew the best win of the year by not kicking the FG, and putting us up by 12 and sealing the deal, 33-21? After the onside kick I couldn’t watch. My heart was pounding. I’ve seen some horrific things happen to us. We won, and as SOS says”God smiled on the Gamecocks!”. Our staff can’t afford to get caught up in the moment and make wreckless decisions. Let’s hope they remain calm and make the correct call next time. GO COCKS!
I was wondering if I was the only One Who was thinking about us Not Taking Advantage of the Situation by Kicking a Field Goal, instead of not going for it. But We Won so I thought it was a Mute Point,

IMO coach was playing the “ big picture “ percentages. More likely for a disaster on a fg attempt than a run. A&M had 90 yards to score and needed another one, with about a minute to go. Their offense wasn’t exactly humming along. Turned out they almost pulled it off but the percentages and then pretty weak A&M offense told SB what to do. Hindsight, the decision looked bad
The previous blocked extra point was the key factor. If Tonka had not made an incredible tackle, there might have been an additional 2 points on the board for ATM. A blocked and returned FG puts 7 on the board for ATM with a subsequent on-side kick. I didn’t like the call, but I understand the logic behind it. Can’t play scared though. We have a superb FG unit.

Reactions: Flameout12
Waiting for a&m to do the on-side kick was nerve racking. Then it worked and they friggin’ got the ball back and I was just like ….. uggghhhhhh!
That win seemed like it required a little to much luck for comfort

I was wondering if I was the only One Who was thinking about us Not Taking Advantage of the Situation by Kicking a Field Goal, instead of not going for it. But We Won so I thought it was a Mute Point,
Out of the thousands of fans, you thought that you were "the only one" that second guessed the decision?

I also thought not kicking was the right call - Pick up the first down, game set match - my biggest complaint was not running the 40 sec clock to 2 or 3 secs before snapping. We were snapping with 10 to 12 secs on the play clock which is bad coaching and QB1 should know better

I'll remain mute on whether or not it was a moot point.
The frequent use of "mute" instead of "moot" (two words that aren't even pronounced the same) has been starting to grate on me.

moot

moo͞t

adjective​

1. Subject to debate; arguable or unsettled.
  2. Of no practical importance; irrelevant.
  3. Not presenting an open legal question, as a result of the occurrence of some event definitively resolving the issue, or the absence of a genuine case or controversy.

Reactions: Forever Fowl
No disagreement, it was the prudent thing to do ... more than anything, Lloyd NOT going out of bounds on a previous run hurt greatly ... we ALL live and learn, including CSB ...

Reactions: gamecockblack
lol how about the DA A&M players getting high in the locker room before the game. Jimbob and his #1 recruiting class culture really shinning this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT