ADVERTISEMENT

Happy for Dakereon Joyner.

Garnet Man

Feb 5, 2003
He has been criticized for drops and lack of big plays in critical moments. But he came through in a big way today. Made a bunch of key big plays today on third down when the UNC defense was keying on Harris. Everyone who knows him knows how much he loves being a Gamecock. Coaches and teammates have always spoken so highly of him. His family are great Gamecocks and am so happy for all of them.

Not saying he was the QB answer, but when given his turn, he hasn’t hurt the team. He made a couple of big throws, and great decisions. Based on how we’d gone at QB over the course of the year, I was surprised we never heard rumblings if this happening.

I am going to say this, as I have said several times…when we make an effort to get the ball into Bell’s hands, good things happen.

Embarrassed to say I am one of those who have disrespected him; I was wrong. SUPER impressed with Joyner; playmaking, poise, and his STRENGTH was something I did not expect. Brilliant game plan using the Colonel Zeb hype pregame and Vann in-game as decoys, and Joyner was WELL prepared.

Hail and raise a glass to Dakereon Joyner. And to Shane Beamer while you're at it.

He finally had his moment in a Gamecock uniform that we will all remember. Proud of him.

I can't help but wonder if he would have been a difference maker this season if he was allowed to throw the ball when he lined up behind center. Once the defense had to respect the pass, he found lanes to run and made big plays.

Kind of makes one wonder what may have happened if he had been given a more legit shot at QB earlier in his career.
It does. Though I do think the element of surprise and the fact that UNC’s defense isn’t very good contributed. That’s the only question we can ask at this moment. But let’s be real, up to this point…Joyner has NEVER looked this good at QB.

It does. Though I do think the element of surprise and the fact that UNC’s defense isn’t very good contributed. That’s the only question we can ask at this moment. But let’s be real, up to this point…Joyner has NEVER looked this good at QB.

Probably a lot of truth in that. You see QBs look good for a game or two when nobody has seen their game. But then DCs catch up to them, and the level of success drops.

All he’s done to this point is wildcat keepers, with the exception of some basic plays after Hilinski went down in Athens. The stuff he came out the gate with today…that was legit qb work. And true, that’s not the best defense around, but his poise, quickness, and mobility were pretty sweet and impressive. His first throw I expected to be a duck because I’d never seen him throw that ball before, but that thing was money and not a particularly easy throw.

Hey, I’ve ragged on him the past two years; gotta give him some well earned love for that performance today.

All he’s done to this point is wildcat keepers, with the exception of some basic plays after Hilinski went down in Athens. The stuff he came out the gate with today…that was legit qb work. And true, that’s not the best defense around, but his poise, quickness, and mobility were pretty sweet and impressive. His first throw I expected to be a duck because I’d never seen him throw that ball before, but that thing was money and not a particularly easy throw.

Hey, I’ve ragged on him the past two years; gotta give him some well earned love for that performance today.
No doubt. But I’ve also never seen the speed and quickness we saw from him today. I’m not ragging on him at all. Just responding to a post questioning why he hasn’t been playing all season. I think by far the majority of Gamecock fans are surprised by what transpired today…but happy as hell for Dak.

The main thing he did in the passing game was keep plays alive. He was able to extend plays and complete some easy passes. They had to account for him and it really opened up the game. Then on that 1st possession out of the half the passing game was wide open.

We don’t win this game today without Dak.

I knew he could play- guy is great athlete and has been in many SEC wars. Should have played (at least) some in the "Jake's our quaterback" days.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
Very happy for him too. That’s how I thought they would use him and Doty this year....in packages. Hate it came to last game before doing that. But- glad the staff did it. Great game for him today

Reactions: nikolas22
Love the honesty of Coach Beamer. Said in post game after DAK's success today, would understand people asking and could even question himself why didn't we go to doing this earlier this season. Also said it was Coach Satterfield's suggestion to work more with DAK at the beginning of bowl preparation. Great move by all paid off today.

Congrats to Joyner. Think, if this kid would have been coached up when he arrived here. Always thought he never really got that real opportunity to play QB.

Reactions: nikolas22
Definitely. He’s a breath of fresh air in a time of college free agency. CFB is almost becoming intolerable except for players like him. Good show Dak!

We shall see.
We already saw. You just can’t admit it. Like usual. We’ve done it against Florida and auburn and now North Carolina. When we commit to a downhill running game we are successful. That’s our identity. When we get away from it, like we did in other games, we struggle. Now we would probably disagree on the reasons why we get away from it. But it’s clear to me we are better when we run power, counter, and duo. Not outside zone. Which is what we started early in the year on and tried to get it established.

Reactions: rogue cock
We already saw. You just can’t admit it. Like usual. We’ve done it against Florida and auburn and now North Carolina. When we commit to a downhill running game we are successful. That’s our identity. When we get away from it, like we did in other games, we struggle. Now we would probably disagree on the reasons why we get away from it. But it’s clear to me we are better when we run power, counter, and duo. Not outside zone. Which is what we started early in the year on and tried to get it established.
Any argument is going to look better if you only include performances where we won.

But at the end of the day there was a reason we were in the 100s in total offense. And it was probably more than we just chose not to do what we were good at.

Any argument is going to look better if you only include performances where we won.

But at the end of the day there was a reason we were in the 100s in total offense. And it was probably more than we just chose not to do what we were good at.
And I didn’t. I mentioned the bad performances as well. But you conveniently looked over that.it was due to the fact that there are teams better than us. We can’t push everyone around. That’s clear.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT