ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone*s star fallen faster than Tony Elliot?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
He was rumored to be connected to several of the job openings this past off-season. Some of our fans wanted him considered here. Now with the spectacular collapse of their offense they are questioning whether it’s time For them to move on from him as OC.

The thing with Clemson coaches is we know what they are capable of with the right players. I think their QB’s star has fallen faster. I’d say his name but nobody really know how to say it or spell it. I’ll just call him DJ. He was a top 5 preseason Heisman candidate. Now the discussion is if he should be benched.

People have caught up with his play calling. Their QB has been garbage thru three games, their OL is an issue, like ours isn’t (lol), they cannot seem to stretch the field vertically in the passing game, QB fundamentals are very bad/footwork. They better get that crap fixed, and in a hurry. I’d say NCST will give them all they want, if I hadn’t seen MSST manhandle them two weeks ago in Starkvegas...

Taters problems run deeper. You no longer have a generational QB but now you have one soaking up the riches of the NIL. Showing up pregame in a fedora, jewelry and not showing anything close to the hype he had coming in to their program. I would guess there are some locker room issues raising their head on their team.

I have my suspicions there is a big crack in the taters "All In" mantra, we are just seeing the beginning of it. This could get ugly quick if they lose next weekend to the wolfpack.

This could get ugly quick if they lose next weekend to the wolfpack.
That might be some fun....
clemson-dabo.gif

In recent years though, when they have had a scare, they seemed to focus, regroup, and get back into form. My guess/bet is that they beat NC State next week by 35. Now, I sincerely HOPE that they lose to NCST, but we’ll just have to see.

• Sad
Reactions: LakewoodCock
Not sour grapes but I think we may be witnessing the end of a six year period where superior talent covered for subpar coaching.

• Haha
Taters problems run deeper. You no longer have a generational QB but now you have one soaking up the riches of the NIL. Showing up pregame in a fedora, jewelry and not showing anything close to the hype he had coming in to their program. I would guess there are some locker room issues raising their head on their team.

I have my suspicions there is a big crack in the taters "All In" mantra, we are just seeing the beginning of it. This could get ugly quick if they lose next weekend to the wolfpack.

My tater friend called me Saturday night and his tigers came up.I told him it’s about time y’all had a bust at qb.y’all can’t have an all star every year and he agreed.

Not sour grapes but I think we may be witnessing the end of a six year period where superior talent covered for subpar coaching.
They have NOT faired well in the last few top twenty five contests, most notably double digit losses to LSU and OSU, and close losses to ND and UGA. Indicates equal to or better talent vs their coaches isn’t a good thing for THEM. GT is NOT VERY good, yet they took Clempsun to the limit. The CU offense looks inept right now.

• Love
In recent years though, when they have had a scare, they seemed to focus, regroup, and get back into form. My guess/bet is that they beat NC State next week by 35. Now, I sincerely HOPE that they lose to NCST, but we’ll just have to see.
They weren’t asleep yesterday, they just suck on offense. Their QB reminds me a lot of Kelly Bryant but even KB had decent backs to bail him out. They don’t even have that. That white kid they were so high on, he’s not as advertised. I’d take any of our 4 running backs over him easily. They have one WR (Ngata) that the QB stares down harder than a bunch of old men staring at a hot girl walking by in a bathing suit.

The thing with Clemson coaches is we know what they are capable of with the right players. I think their QB’s star has fallen faster. I’d say his name but nobody really know how to say it or spell it. I’ll just call him DJ. He was a top 5 preseason Heisman candidate. Now the discussion is if he should be benched.
I call him ukulele

He was rumored to be connected to several of the job openings this past off-season. Some of our fans wanted him considered here. Now with the spectacular collapse of their offense they are questioning whether it’s time For them to move on from him as OC.
I am relieved. While out jogging last night I thought it was a meteor that almost hit me.

• Haha
Underscores a point I have been trying to make for years. Few, if any, of these coaches are geniuses nor are they idiots. It just depends on how things are going at the time that folks throw out the labels. The supposed geniuses always seem to have talent. Yes, when Elliott had a generational QB, and a top 10 pick at running back, everything worked and he was a genius. Now that he doesn't have that, and that their OL isn't performing as it has, he suddenly is an idiot. We saw this with Spurrier. All was great, but then all the "ball plays" in the world suddenly didn't matter when we ran out of talent. It is all about players. Always has been, always will be.

I read several articles/reports that Clemson leads for Arch Manning.Mediocre QB play might be short lived.To me the OL coach is as much a problem as anything at Clemson.Their OL has underperformed for years.

I read several articles/reports that Clemson leads for Arch Manning.Mediocre QB play might be short lived.To me the OL coach is as much a problem as anything at Clemson.Their OL has underperformed for years.
Arch and his family were at the Ga game and Cooper was wearing. Dawgs hat. It was an unofficial visit

Reactions: Lakecock1
It’s expected to score at will in CU. The biggest reason for Elliot’s fall is Jeff Scott isn’t there to hold his hand. When they were co-offensive coordinators, they were really, really good.
Scott was just smart enough to take a job while the gettin' was good.
They had two generational QBs back to back there..... In addition to everything else they had. It was hard to mess it up. Yes- Elliot screwed up by not taking his payday when it was available. The head coaching job he will be getting now is Buffalo or Tennessee -Martin or something.

Their OL coach is Robbie Caldwell...who Spurrier tried to hire on a couple of occasions. He's a pretty darned good OL coach...but he's not much of a recruiter nowadays.

Last edited:
He old adage, “you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit” comes to mind here with Caldwell...
Yeah, I was surprised at how much their OL recruiting has fallen off. Last year they took a small 2-star OL who had been at our camp and whose best offer was from App State....that kind of surprised me.

They had two generational QBs back to back there..... In addition to everything else they had. It was hard to mess it up. Yes- Elliot screwed up by not taking his payday when it was available. The head coaching job he will be getting now is Buffalo or Tennessee -Martin or something.
Heard Scott had to go because of a little monkey business.

Reactions: redrogers
Scott also is a lot like his daddy. He got the chance to jump and he took it. He knew Dabo looks for scapegoats when the taters get restless and they couldn’t keep bringing in those types of QB’s forever. The problem is Scott is a lot like his daddy when it comes to being a head coach, he’s sucks at it. That’s ok though, he got his payday and his shot and doesn’t have to worry about being fired on Dabos whim.

Klubnik, the top QB from 2022 is going there to Clemson and will be entrenched before Manning arrives. That probably will be a negative factor for Clemson. Gunner Stockton at Georgia will be the same for them. Even for Manning, a five star in the class before you is an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT